• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

GIANT Catfish Caught Today!

Human_84

Somewhat human
Source: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/200 ... 25-ap.html

!SEE CATFISH BY CLICKING ABOVE!

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - Thai fishermen caught a catfish weighing 293 kilograms - 646 pounds - which is believed to be the world's largest freshwater fish ever recorded, a researcher said Thursday.

The 2.7-metre (8.9-foot) Mekong giant catfish was netted May 1 by villagers in Chiang Khong, a remote district in northern Thailand, and weighed by Thai fisheries department officials, said Zeb Hogan, who leads an international project to locate and study the world's largest freshwater fish species.

Photo of river it was caught in... creepy! http://natureproducts.net/Forest_Produc ... 20palm.jpg

Giant CAT caught today

cat.jpg

I'll get my coat.

HOLY CRAP!?!?!?! If that's real, Bass Pro Shop should buy it.

All I can say is WOW! :shock:
And I agree were gonna need a bigger boat
Peace
=^..^=217

I envision dozens and dozens of Thai catfish curry plates....(drools) :lol:

Amester said:
I envision dozens and dozens of Thai catfish curry plates....(drools) :lol:
We're having a Thai food night in my local pub on the 9th - don't know if catfish will be on the menu!

That's a sh*tload of catfish! Could you imagine swimming and having one of those monsters come at you? :shock: :shock: :shock:

There's something about the species name "dog-eating catfish" that's just so telling...

Supposed to be home to many many giant fish. I would bet my left arm that this catfish is NOT the largest in the river.... do not, swim in there.

Don't worry, they won't eat you (unless you're covered in algae or something.....)

<blinks> Must have some real strange mutts in Thailand then...

Nah i think they eat meat. Everyone knows they'll eat ducks. Hows a dog different when it really comes down to it? And dogs must go near the water from time to time. I sure wouldn't go back paddling out there with my little pair of goggles and flippers. Although it would probably entertain the locals. Can anyone smell a new wildboys episode coming on? (if you dont know what wildboys is, look it up)

That is true, they have been known to eat things like that. :? I don't really understand it though, because they're like sucker fish in that they go to rocks and stuff and suck the plant life off of them, right?

Fishy coincidence here:
BROTHERS DO BATTLE FOR TITLE OF CATFISH KING

11:00 - 22 September 2006
Brothers Ben and Jack Scott were enjoying sibling rivalry yesterday after catching two catfish weighing a combined 355lb - within a day of each other.

Jack, 15, was first when he snared a 168lb catfish, which is almost twice his weight.

Not to be outdone, his younger brother Ben, 12, caught a catfish weighing 187lb - a Spanish record - in the same spot the next day.

Both fish were twice as long as the junior anglers and were caught during a family holiday in Mequinenza, Spain.

The boys spent every day for a week from 7am until 11pm on the banks of the River Segre near Zaragoza.

On the penultimate day of the break Jack felt his line tug and pulled in his 168lb part-albino beast, and spent 40 minutes wrestling it to shore.

But the next day Ben was nearly lifted off his feet when he caught his catfish weighing 187lb - a Spanish record for an 11- to 16-year-old.

The brothers, who have been fishing for three years, were left speechless and attracted a huge group of local anglers after they netted the prize catches.

Jack, of St Columb Major, Cornwall, said: "We weren't expecting to catch a fish of that size, let alone two.

"I thought I'd got the big catch of the holiday but then Ben pipped up with something even bigger. Typical. He had to outdo his big brother."

Proud father, Bill, 47, said the boys are "fiercely competitive" and admitted Jack had been left "a bit miffed".

He said: "When Jack pulled up his fish we all thought it was game over.

"But then the very next day Ben landed his - we couldn't believe it. The two of them are fiercely competitive so I think Jack was a bit miffed at first.

"Ben was just over the moon. He has never landed a fish bigger than his brother before - his previous best was 11lb."

Ben said: "There were loads of local fishermen there who all said 'well done'. It was the best trip I have ever been on."
http://tinyurl.com/rhdux

:eek:

This story rings a distant bell, about 30 years ago I remember reading a magazine story (in either Field & Stream or Outdoor Life) about a giant catfish that terrorized Vienna in the late 19th century, attacking small children at wading areas on the Danube, finally sections of the river were netted and depth-charged, killing the beast.

I can't find a current reference to that story, but here is some similar or related material:

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptid-univ ... st-catfish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wels_catfish

Angler lands monster catfish weighing in at a massive 250lb
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:25 AM on 4th June 2010

This monster from the deep has broken the record for the biggest freshwater fish caught in Europe.
Measuring 8.2ft long and weighing just over 250lbs the gigantic catfish was heaved out of a lake after a 45 minute back-breaking tussle.
Plucky angler Roberto Godi was nearly thrown into the water when the brute took his bait of a bream fish.

After an epic battle to reel it in, several other fishermen rushed to his aid to help him lift the beast onto a weighing frame and mat designed to support such beasts.
The scales shot up to a mighty 250lbs 2ozs - or 17.8 stones - sparking scenes of celebration on the river bank.

Not only is the catch the biggest of its kind in Europe, it is also the biggest species of wels catfish ever caught in the world.
It broke the previous European record which was another catfish that weighed 246lbs 14oz and was caught by French angler Christophe Dubreuil on Spain's River Ebro.
The specimen was netted by Roberto, 32, on the River Po at Mantova, northern Italy, before being released back into the water safe and well.

Alberto Bartoli, the charter captain who was with Roberto, said: "At first we thought it was a medium sized fish, then Roberto felt a lot of pressure and the water cleared and we knew it was a big one.
"It took around 45 minutes to reel in, it was a real fight.
"When he got it in all the other fisherman were so surprised, we knew it was big and when the weight was confirmed Roberto was delighted.
"He said he had never been so happy and that it was the strongest fish he had ever caught, Roberto is also pleased the fish was returned unhurt."

Simon Clarke, secretary of the Catfish Conservation Group, believes the fish is probably between 20 and 30 years old.
Simon said: "It is the largest Catfish I have seen in 25 years. I think there could be some bigger but not significantly.
"It is feasible for this fish to reach 300lbs but no more than that. I have never seen pictures of anything bigger.
"Once these fish get over 100lbs it becomes a physical battle as they become more powerful than you. It is a fantastic achievement."

Roberto has submitted his catch to the International Game Fishing Association, which is expected to confirm it as a record.
Jack Vitek, of the IGFA, said: "The record is still being verified, there are quite a few checks we need to make first but hopefully it will be confirmed soon."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ngler.html

He must be tall, if that fish is 8.2 feet long!
The OP, about the catfish, (No teeth, no invclination to eat animals)...

The Mekong giant catfish - which shares the title of largest freshwater fish with a close relative, the dog-eating catfish - was listed as endangered in 2003 after research showed its numbers had fallen by at least 80 percent over the past 13 years.

:(

RainyOcean said:
That is true, they have been known to eat things like that. :? I don't really understand it though, because they're like sucker fish in that they go to rocks and stuff and suck the plant life off of them, right?

some are, it's a complex family, alot of algae eaters are actually loaches =]

Bluebell Lakes angler lands huge catfish after two-hour fight
[video]
13 June 2013 Last updated at 09:51

An angler caught a giant catfish after a two-hour battle during which he was dragged neck-deep into a lake.
Daniel Sibley, 21, of Blaby, Leicestershire, landed the 108lb 4oz (49kg) "beast" while angling for carp at Bluebell Lakes, near Oundle, Northamptonshire
It is thought to be one of the heaviest ever caught with a rod and line in the UK.

"It took me for a right merry dance," said Mr Sibley.
"I found myself out of my depth a few times. I kept thinking: 'When's it going to tire?'"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... e-22886506

''Monster catfish which looks big enough to swallow a man whole caught in Italy''
By Nick Squires, Rome

1:19PM GMT 25 Feb 2015

Full story & pics here, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...h-to-swallow-a-man-whole-caught-in-Italy.html
It's a beaut! But when the article says, 'With its huge, gaping mouth, it looks big enough to swallow a person whole,' what they mean is, 'it looks big enough to swallow a person in the deliberate forced perspective photograph that heads the article.':rolleyes:

Back