• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Give me some ideas...loud broadcast?

romieh

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
IHTM about 6 years ago

I came home from work very early due to illness, whilst travelling home I thought about my stepson, along the lines of 'I hope he's not wagging school, if he is he'll have the shock of his life when i get home' i thought about this for a good half hour, deciding what i'd do if i found him, how he'd run out of the house in time to avoid detection etc...

The house was a semi with a front and back door, as i got home i unlocked the front doors walked in and hear loud 'music' from the stepsons bedroom (thinking ah-ha you toerag) I went straight upstairs (stairs being situated right in front of the front door) and entered his bedroom calling his name. As I walked in the very loud 'music' stopped and a radio type voice said...'if you want to hear more of ??? tune in again???' then static then silence (as if a plug had been pulled). Not so odd i hear you say...
My stepson was not in the bedroom, he could not have passed me, he was not in any of the 3 wardrobes (i looked instantly)...but even weirder, there where no electrical items plugged in in his bedroom, (the only item being a playstation unplugged) and the area from which the sound appeared to source had nothing more than a plastic box and a cuddly toy in it.
I checked everywhere in the room...nothing, i considered the sound coming from next door (adjoining walls) or another room, but it was definatly within the room, as it 'surrounded' me when i entered.
What the heck happened?
Following this, i checked the back door (stepson had no key) it was firmly locked, nothing else strange ever happened, the rest of the day was spent feeling a little uneasy but very calm at the same time? Oh and he was at school all day, undoubtably

One more note, the stepson and I had previously had an odd evening of thought projection between us (i thought of a picture, stared at him, he draw what i was 'sending') we did this as a 'laugh' but inexplicably, he was very very accurate every time we did it (but thats another story)

Anyhoo, your thoughts please...Thanks

It could have been a pirate radio station? I imagine they would have erratic broadcasting times and could have concluded by announcing when they would next be on air before returning the frequency to static.

Good idea, very plausable
But through what was it transmitted when nothing was plugged in?

Ta :lol:

ttaarraass said:
It could have been a pirate radio station? I imagine they would have erratic broadcasting times and could have concluded by announcing when they would next be on air before returning the frequency to static.

I second that thought - that's what I thought as I was reading the original post.
Perhaps the next door neighbour was operating a pirate radio station, and had his monitor speakers turned way up while you were out. Then, when he heard you come back, he turned it all off. Just a suggestion.

On a related note, some years ago, when I was driving around the M25, my radio picked up a pirate broadcast. I tried to retune to the original channel (Radio 1), but couldn't, as this pirate broadcast was too strong and it covered a huge range of channels - clearly illegal. Even though I had the sound turned down, it was really loud.

Mythopoeika said:
On a related note, some years ago, when I was driving around the M25, my radio picked up a pirate broadcast. I tried to retune to the original channel (Radio 1), but couldn't, as this pirate broadcast was too strong and it covered a huge range of channels - clearly illegal. Even though I had the sound turned down, it was really loud.

What the crafty little beggars do is to use the 'signal' that a lot of local radio stations use to get RDS radios to switch over to a traffic bulletin. So if your car has a radio set to 'TP' or 'TA' then it will automatically switch over to the pirate radio station regardless of what station you were tuned into. :evil:

Next door was a 90yo lady who had difficuty getting around...but i kinda like the idea of her running a pirate rock station

I do remember thinking at the time it could have been a pirate station, but the noise definately appeared to be within the room
Oh well, one to ponder for ever :D

Could a battery operated stereo device be the culprit?

Nope
I searched the room (all excited like) hoping to find something like that
Nothing...

I spent some time in a house in the early 90s where wall mounted stereo speakers used to frequenlty pick up realy loud bursts of Police radio "chatter".

To do this though they had to have a current running through them, IE the stereo turned on but not playing music.

It sounds a very honest and quite detailed account of what was experienced. It doesn't sound very supernatural though. It is said that only about 10% of what we experience comes from sense data and the rest is filled in by our memory, world-view, expectations etc. etc. I suppose I should check that bit of received-wisdom one day but at least the idea seems useful to explain some of our confusions.

Arriving home in a stressed and unwell state, you expected a noisy scene and found one. The actual noise - there must have been some, I'm sure - could have been a car with one of those mobile disco-strength systems going full-belt to rock the neighbourhood. :?:

That's very interesting. Maybe being ill and in a bit of an unusual state contributed. I don't want to come up with any explanation about the external source of the noise because I'd like to think it was conjured up by your imagination - you were so convinced it was going to happen that you came home and found the lad skiving, that your brain obliged. (Kind of like the opposite thing that happens to me quite a bit, where I convince myself I've lost something and won't be able to find it, and then I can't find it, and it's only when I try to be positive that I finally spot it.)
It's possible anyway!

The first question that comes to mind is whether or not the house, your stepson, or yourself was prone to experience any unusual or paranormal activity. If not, a combo of expectations, illness and a passing car sounds very plausible. Overall, a very interesting experience.

Secondly, if this has anything to contribute to your experience at all, I did witness an episode such as what you describe happen to someone else. And no, there was no music playing... on this audible plane of existence anyhow.

This was the early 2000s and I was working at a Humane Society on a day when it wasn't open to the public. It was me, a vet tech and her older teenage daughter tending to the residents. The place was creepy. It was built in the 50s as animal control before being turned into a no-kill shelter sometime later. You could say it was haunted. Among other things, many an hour was wasted by staff, volunteers, and community service kids looking for phantom escaped cats that would dart in and out from under the cages. I don't know if anyone actually saw a full-bodied apparition, mainly just quick moving white blobs that one would assume was a cat due to size. It was fun trying to explain to nervous community service bad-asses that they probably saw a ghost since all the animals are accounted for.

Anyway, more to the point, the vet tech had some issues with deafness so both her daughter and I were surprised when we were about to close for the day and she yelled at us for not turning the radio off in the dog kennel. The kennel was of the variety that had both inside/outside runs and was connected to the main building by a standard issue windowed exterior door. So her daughter and I exchanged confused looks as her mom walked determinedly down the kennel, closing the door behind her, to the very last run where the radio was kept. All this time neither of us heard any music at all from our vantage point, but the vet tech obviously did since she walked the whole 30 ft. As we were watching her bemused through the window, we saw her turn to the run that was being used to store the equipment. We were confused because she never made a move for the kennel door to access the radio before turning tail and running back to where we were. By this time both of us youngsters were cracking up, thinking the mom was just being flaky. She didn't seem to notice too much, but was in a slight panic as she quickly herded us out of the shelter. So we asked her what happened. She said that she heard music coming from the radio the entire time she was walking down to turn it off. When she reached the proper run, she said that the radio said "sorry" and then proceeded to go dead. I can honestly say that neither her daughter nor myself heard anything during this episode and the shelter residents seemed pretty unconcerned as well. Was it something that existed solely in her head from a combo of outside influences and expectation? I can't say, but I am certain she experienced something. So, as you can see, you don't necessarily need any real music to have odd radio experiences. Not to say that what you experienced isn't paranormal, I'm just saying that the brain is a very marvelous thing.

I was thinking about the 'loudness' issue... normally, if you're a long way away from something and you hear a 'loud' noise from that something, the noise is actually quite quiet in your ears - which is how you know it's loud at its origin (rather like knowing that a big building is really big because it looks small but it's far away. A Father Ted sketch comes to mind).

Anyway, my point is that (the thickness of your walls and floorboards depending) you could have heard quite a quiet noise when you first assumed the young miscreant was home - and your brain seized upon this and turned this into evidence of louder music further away. Mebbe.

Once I was waiting for a train and I could hear loudish dance music (admittedly I do listen to music with strange noises included like Aphex Twin) and thought grumpily 'who's that at this time of the morning' - but it soon transpired that it was an innocent passenger wheeling their squeaky luggage across the platform, and it was rumbling and squeaking in a rhythmic way, and it was just the way my sleepy? brain was making sense of it.

I used to pick police a taxi radio through my guitar amp...

It's weird that I read this thread with its reference to pirate radio stations because for the last three days there has been a very strange broadcast going on near Windsor.
I have one of those transmitter things that attaches to the iPod so that you can 'tune' it to a white noise frequency on your car stereo. It has always been fine on my journey to work with no interference at all.

On Monday of this week at a certain point on a deserted country lane that I use a REALLY loud and fast drumming track cut in and played continuously. I thought it a bit odd that it went on for so long as it was so repetetive that I wouldn't even call it music. It was almost like the frantic drumming in those old black and white movies when explorers come across 'natives' in the jungle!
There is nothing odd with that in itself, until I drove home 8 hours later and exactly the same thing happened but with the SAME SOUND still being broadcast.

It can't be a pirate radio station, because why would they play a contant (and very annoying) drumming non-stop around the clock?

EvilPumpkin, that is a very good description of the pirate broadcast I mentioned in my earlier post.
It was exactly like that - continuous, repetitive drumming with no musical qualities whatsoever. It went on for ages with no breaks, and there was no announcer or singer, etc.

My only explanation might be that a singularly untalented person has made up a really bad 'mix' track and broadcast it to the nation.

Just had a thought after this - perhaps it's how terrorists communicate with each other? There might be some hidden code in the pattern?

EvilPumpkin said:
It can't be a pirate radio station, because why would they play a contant (and very annoying) drumming non-stop around the clock?

It helps keep the rhythm for the galley slaves rowing.

I'll get me cutlass...

Back