• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Given Time Travel, Where & When Would You Want To Travel?

I didn't know i was going to have to explain how i was going to survive in what ever time i picked, thought it was just a thread about what era in time you would pick if you could do it. :p

I don't think assassinating the Archduke would have prevented WW1 anyway, something else would have started it sooner or later. ...

SIDE NOTE: I suspect you meant:

I don't think (preventing Princip from) assassinating the Archduke would have prevented WW1 anyway, ...

Having said that ... I entirely agree.

There were multiple other would-be Black Hand assassins in Sarajevo gunning for the Archduke that day (one of whom had already thrown a bomb that failed to kill the intended target). If one negated Princip's attempt one of the others may well have been successful, and the (time travel) trip would have been wasted.

Zooming out to a broader perspective on that time period ...

The escalating pissing matches among the already tottering Euro empires had turned the entire continent into a powder keg. IMHO it would be an exercise in futility to try and prevent the inevitable explosion by tinkering with any particular spark.

I'd like to hang out with the midcentury non-racists in my own hometown. It would be fun if local musicians and spectators could re-enact this place, but it's long paved over for a highway over/under pass.
JIM HOTEL. The Jim Hotel was a jazz and blues venue in Fort Worth. Black millionaire William Madison "Gooseneck Bill" McDonald built the three-story, fifty-room hotel at 413 East Fifth Street in the late 1920s. He named the hotel after his second wife, Jimmie Strickland, and the Jim gained a reputation as the finest "Negro" inn in Fort Worth by the end of the 1930s. In 1934 Levi and Oscar Cooper purchased the hotel and built the environment that attracted jazz and blues enthusiasts. The Coopers hired "T-Bone" Walker to lead the house band that played in the hotel lobby, known by guests as the College Inn.

Although the hotel's check-in clientele remained strictly black, white music lovers headed for the Jim after midnight to listen to "real jazz" in the College Inn. They often stayed for early-morning jam sessions with such musicians as Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, Billy Eckstine, Ella Fitzgerald, Lowell Fulson, Errol Garner, Woody Herman, Al Hibbler, Earl "Fatha" Hines, Billie Holiday, the original Ink Spots, Louis Jordan, B. B. King, Andy Kirk, George E. Lee, Pigmeat Markham, Bennie Moten, Red Nichols and His Five Pennies, the Andrews Sisters, King Oliver, Buddy Rich, Art Tatum, Sara Vaughan, Joe Venuti, Fats Waller, Chick Webb, Paul Whiteman, Mary Lou Willliams, Lester Young, and Trummy Young.

...such musicians as Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, Billy Eckstine, Ella Fitzgerald, Lowell Fulson, Errol Garner, Woody Herman, Al Hibbler, Earl "Fatha" Hines, Billie Holiday, the original Ink Spots, Louis Jordan, B. B. King, Andy Kirk, George E. Lee, Pigmeat Markham, Bennie Moten, Red Nichols and His Five Pennies, the Andrews Sisters, King Oliver, Buddy Rich, Art Tatum, Sara Vaughan, Joe Venuti, Fats Waller, Chick Webb, Paul Whiteman, Mary Lou Willliams, Lester Young, and Trummy Young.

It’s great that they all agreed to appear in alphabetical order.

maximus otter

There were multiple other would-be Black Hand assassins in Sarajevo gunning for the Archduke that day (one of whom had already thrown a bomb that failed to kill the intended target).

If one negated Princip's attempt one of the others may well have been successful, and the (time travel) trip would have been wasted.

I’d disagree with that.

The whole plot was poorly organised and equipped with pathetic kit. For example, the grenades were not the kind we would imagine, i.e. “pull pin, release lever, grenade explodes in 4½ seconds”; they had to be struck against a high-friction surface like a match, then the fuse burned for ten seconds. How do you predict where the Archduke’s car will be in ten seconds’ time?

Princip was such a poor pistol shot that when his team of terrorists conducted pistol practice (in a public park, like highly-trained assassins do), he missed so frequently that he used to burst into tears.

The team operated more like the People’s Front of Judaea than ISIS/IRA: they were overheard discussing the plot in an inn en route to the locus. A fellow patron of the pub asked to join in the plot, and they let him!

The fact that even Princip got a shot in was pure fluke: He’d watched his pals try and fail, then slunk off round a corner for coffee and a bun (like you do). He was astonished to see the car containing the Archduke and his wife appear in front of him, but ran up to them and fired what were tragically probably his most accurate ever shots.

The rest is (bloody) history.

maximus otter

Morning all, I've been thinking about your views on time travel and where to go and yes, to all of the above but what if it was that you could only observe and not do anything to change history? My reasoning is this( and it's maybe come up earlier and I have not read the post fully), if you did change that history, you might not get back to your own"time line". I know this is a well known sci-fi plot, but it does make me think, maybe there should be a machine that only shows us the history taking place and not to participate. Though the odds are that someone has gone back in time and their history has changed and that's why we've got the YouTube videos of them recounting their adventures.

I'm a member of a 1960s/Mod group on Facebook, and there was recently a post saying if you could go back to the 60's where and what would you do, so I'll put my response here;

I'd have 7 days spread over the 60s, as opposed to a solid week. Day 1, I'd go back to August '62 and save Marilyn Monroe. Day 2, I'd go to August '69 and save Sharon Tate. Day 3, we'd go back to the Cavern in '62 to see 'up and coming band' The Beatles. Day 4, we'd go to RSG in '65, and later have a party at Paul McCartney's house at Cavendish Avenue with The Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Small Faces, Dusty, Julie Christie, Brigitte Bardot, Diana Rigg, Marianne Faithfull and Jane Fonda. Day 5, we'd have a day in Swinging London - Carnaby St, Kings Road, Scene Club, The Marquee and The Scotch Of St James. Day 6, we'd be in the crowd when The Beatles performed 'All You Need Is Love, and finally Day 7, we'd celebrate the hippy dream at Woodstock!

Day 4, we'd go to RSG in '65, and later have a party at Paul McCartney's house at Cavendish Avenue with The Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Small Faces, Dusty, Julie Christie, Brigitte Bardot, Diana Rigg, Marianne Faithfull and Jane Fonda. Day 5, we'd have a day in Swinging London - Carnaby St, Kings Road, Scene Club, The Marquee and The Scotch Of St James.

Dreamy! What is the RSG? I want that party.

Last edited by a moderator:
Siege of Troy
Siege of Jericho
Siege of Cathage

from a safe distance with a telephoto lens.

I'd love to find out if there is any truth behind the legends that Britain was named after Brutus of Troy, who allegedly fled here after the war with his gang of renegade Trojans. Similarly, did the legendary Paris of Troy give his name to the Celtic Parisii tribe (and also, of course, to the French capital).

I'd love to find out if there is any truth behind the legends that Britain was named after Brutus of Troy, who allegedly fled here after the war with his gang of renegade Trojans. Similarly, did the legendary Paris of Troy give his name to the Celtic Parisii tribe (and also, of course, to the French capital).

While you're then, could you also plant some artefacts on the Isle of Lamb?

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/uri-geller.293/page-7#post-1693114

Maybe bury some stone tablets actually referring to Mr. G, "prophecies" and an encoded URL pointing to this post...

Has anyone seriously considered whether the world would be a better place without Hitler? I am not sure that assassinating Hitler would ever be the right answer. After all, he was more of a symptom than the disease itself, and with Hitler out of the picture, someone smarter may have got the nod. Also, consider what the world would look like without WW2, with the European Empires still operating. If that is really your kettle of fish, then rather than killing Hitler, it would be wiser to save Archduke Franz Ferdinand and prevent WW1, and thus the Versailles Treaty that made Hitler possible.
Hitler was a tragedy, but we are mostly alright. How can we know that rolling the dice again, we would not get a worse outcome?

Hitler was a tragedy, but we are mostly alright. How can we know that rolling the dice again, we would not get a worse outcome?
Well here's a suggestion... What would happen if time travellers dressed up as Nazis and assassinated Neville Chamberlain and Edouard Daladier in Munich 1938 before the Munich Agreement had been signed? That would leave the Nazis as flat footed militarily as Britain and France, and with Czechoslovakia still independent and angry about being partitioned. The Nazis would have loads of blood on their hands, and would have broken that sacred compact about not attacking diplomats and foreign leaders visiting your soil. There would be no alternative to a war, but it would be a far more level playing field.

Last edited:
On Thursday I took a day off Work and spent it in shirt-sleeves digging small holes in a stubble field near Wendover. There were probably
problems at Work but nothing that could be done as I dug my holes. The sun shone, the overhead pylons hummed, I'd lost sufficient weight to require a belt for my overtrousers, all I detected in the holes were rusty nails - but this was my last ever chance to do what I was doing where I was doing it, as HS2 had bought the field to build a railway. I didn't need hindsight or retrospection to know I was at peace (the first time for a long time) and would look back on that day with nostalgia and contentment.
So back to last Thursday please.

Got a text this morning from a friend saying she's moving with her Beau to live in France. Wish I could go back 44 years and tell her what was/is in my heart (although I'd still be spotty and aesthetically-challenged). Or, given how this year is panning out, back to Thursday August 2019 Wendover please.

If it's a case of going back physically and then returning with memories, I'd want it to be something that (a) didn't expose me to radically different germs and diseases from those my immune system is used to (b) didn't interfere with my personal time line and (c) had some meaning for me as I am now.

So, the Surf Ballroom, Clear Lake, Iowa, Monday 2nd February 1959. Although no one knew it at the time. Buddy Holly's last concert.

I'm a member of a 1960s/Mod group on Facebook, and there was recently a post saying if you could go back to the 60's where and what would you do, so I'll put my response here;

I'd have 7 days spread over the 60s, as opposed to a solid week. Day 1, I'd go back to August '62 and save Marilyn Monroe. Day 2, I'd go to August '69 and save Sharon Tate. Day 3, we'd go back to the Cavern in '62 to see 'up and coming band' The Beatles. Day 4, we'd go to RSG in '65, and later have a party at Paul McCartney's house at Cavendish Avenue with The Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Small Faces, Dusty, Julie Christie, Brigitte Bardot, Diana Rigg, Marianne Faithfull and Jane Fonda. Day 5, we'd have a day in Swinging London - Carnaby St, Kings Road, Scene Club, The Marquee and The Scotch Of St James. Day 6, we'd be in the crowd when The Beatles performed 'All You Need Is Love, and finally Day 7, we'd celebrate the hippy dream at Woodstock!
Great post but I would also make sure Ken Kesey didn't get his hands on LSD and it never spread.

Well here's a suggestion... What would happen if time travellers dressed up as Nazis and assassinated Neville Chamberlain and Edouard Daladier in Munich 1938 before the Munich Agreement had been signed? That would leave the Nazis...

This depends on whether you subscribe to the "great man theory of history" or to the saying, "Cometh the hour, cometh the man."

If you believe that history is driven by the actions of great men (or, great people of any gender or none) then the death of one or two major leaders would have incalculable consequences.

If you believe that the unstoppable tide of history exposes those best suited to rise to prominence, then the death of one or two major leaders would simply have cleared the way for others to rise and follow broadly similar paths.

I suspect that there are elements of both. The social, economic and political circumstances make a certain type of leader more likely to rise to prominence. However, the individual who is successful then has some personal influence on the direction of events once they are in office.

This is a genuine example of the much misunderstood "chaos theory" sometimes misrepresented as the "butterfly effect". In a complex system of cause and effect, a small change in initial conditions may have completely unpredictable effects. Even the same events, with a slight difference in timing, might result in very different outcomes.

Of course, in history, the "initial conditions" depend also one when you start counting from. Hitler would not have risen to power without the consequences of WW1, and WW1 was a consequence of what happened before, and so ad infinitum.

Therefore, such questions as, "What if Nero/Napoleon/Hitler had been assassinated?" must remain the province of fiction writers rather than historians.

D9E3CFED-1C55-4841-B9F3-82977E03C773.jpeg

I think it ties in nicely with the time slip discussion, in my opinion we would never physically go back in time but perhaps we can glimpse another time or dimension of our own time

Back