• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gnosticism. Advice please!

Unwell

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
hello there,

have been picking up little bits and pieces over the last few years that have made me want to read more about gnosticism.

can anyone advise me a good place to start? books, websites, forums?

also anyone have any interesting thoughts, ideas, opinions about it (informed would be good :D ).

many thanks, look forward to some good tips!

I find it absolutely fascinating too :).

Andrew Philip Smith's got lots to say about it, in a very clear and comprehensible way. Good place to start is David Barrett's interview with him on this very site, here.

I read a fascinating book by Freke and Gandy called 'The Jesus Mysteries' which proposes that the life of Jesus was not a historical fact but a reworking of older and more pagan dying/resurrected mangod legends like Osiris-Dionysus and Mithras. Their sequel 'Jesus and the Lost Goddess' follows the story of Sophia and attempts to reveal the gnostic teachings as the basis for Christianity.

I think Timothy Freke has written a few more books on this subject that delve deeper into gnosticism and is probably worth a look if you're interested in the subject.

^^^ stunevile, thanks a lot mate. will look forward to reading that interview. looks a good start.

^^ jerryb, thanks, looks some good stuff there.

^ jim, thank you too, sounds a fascinating read and ta for the freke tip too.

good days all, cheers!

anyone know much about samael aun weor?

i've started reading his "the elimination of satan's tail", heavy-going to say the least. i'm getting good value for money though- i re-read the first three pages every night! still not entirely sure i have any idea what he's on about!

have a couple of more introductory texts on order as we speak.

cheers all.

I'd suggest that it's well worth having a look at the Gospel of Thomas. There are plenty of translations online - I'd recommend just browsing around till you come across one you find readable. (My own copy of it is a translation by Robert Powell, published under the rather unfortunate title of "Christian Zen". It's not in print any more, but you can still pick up second-hand copies on the usual websites.)

Of course, it's eminently debatable whether or not it's actually a Gnostic text, and what the provenance is, and so on and so forth. I wouldn't even begin to express an opinion on all that. But personally speaking, I find it really rewarding reading.

hi greyalien,

thanks a lot for your kind suggestion, i'll look into that one.

(nice to see another norfolk fellow too- cheers!)

Back