• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

GodHatesAmerica.com / Westboro Baptist Church

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
http://www.365gay.com/newscontent/100303phelpsMemorial.htm

(Casper, Wyoming) Anti-gay preacher Fred Phelps has announced intentions to erect a monument to Matthew Shepard the gay college student brutally murdered five years ago near Laramie.

But, the monument will be no memorial. Phelps says the monument would be 5 to 6 feet tall and made of marble or granite. It would bear a bronze plaque bearing the image of Shepard and have an inscription reading "MATTHEW SHEPARD, Entered Hell October 12, 1998, in Defiance of God's Warning: 'Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is abomination.' Leviticus 18:22."

The monument would be erected in downtown Casper, Shepard's home town.

Phelps has sent details of the monument to the city of Casper city council and there may be nothing the city can do to prevent it.

Phelps said he intends to put up the monument in City Park, already the location of a controversial statue of the Ten Commandments.

The Ten Commandments statue was donated to the city by the Fraternal Order of the Eagles in 1965.

After a court battle over a similar monument in the city of Ogden, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that any city that displays a Ten Commandments monument on public property must also allow monuments espousing the views of other religions or political groups on that same property.

Phelps told Casper council in his letter that if it attempts to prevent him from erecting the homophobic monument he's prepared to go to court.

"That is exactly what I said would happen," said Councilwoman Barb Watters. She said she warned the city when it accepted the Ten Commandments statue that the city risked other monuments advocating anti-Semitism and hatred of other minorities.

''I think the hate language will find a very cold reception in this community,'' councilor Paul Bertoglio said. ''I think this community's backbone is going to come up and say 'We are not going to accept it.'''

The city council is looking at several options, one is fighting Phelps in court, another is moving the Ten Commandments out of the park, and yet another proposal would be to sell the land the park is on.

Phelps says he doesn't care what the city decides. If he is unable to put the statue in City Park he said he will find another location in the city.

During Shepard's funeral members of Phelps' Westoboro Baptist Church demonstrated in front of the chapel.

This is pretty sick. I'm glad I don't live in Wyoming.

Re: Fag hating fundamentalists

BlackRiverFalls said:
This is pretty sick. I'm glad I don't live in Wyoming.

Aw, heck, I don't need to live in Wyoming. It's so much more fun living as a gay man just 35 miles from the Phelps compound in Topeka. We hired security guards for Ben's memorial service because we thought there was a good chance they'd show up (they didn't).

FWIW, he's so over-the-top full of hatred and venom (and proud of it) I know very few people who actually take him that seriously. It's the "reasonable, respectable" lemon-sucking bigots who make life harder.

As Simon Fanshawe (radio presenter in the UK) once said,

'If Hell is where all the musicians go, where all the dancing is and where all the gays are, do I really need a coin to decide where I want to go?'

I'm not a vengeful woman but here's hoping that any large granite momument falls and crashes the charming Mr. Phelps.

If this memorial were erected in my town with such a plaque (very unlikely indeed- not through tolerance but apathy!) then I'd personally ensure that it had fresh flowers beside it at all times.

Surely the decent people of Casper would do the same and show their love and sorrow for this poor young man?

This would thwart Phelps and his misguided cohorts and make the block into a true memorial.

'If Hell is where all the musicians go, where all the dancing is and where all the gays are, do I really need a coin to decide where I want to go?'
AMEN Blueswidow! That's how I felt when my grandma told me about heaven. Sounded awful, like hard pews.

"We hired security guards for Ben's memorial service"
Lopaka, this just makes me so... upset... it's just exhausting thinking about how stupid... words fail...

The Phelps of the world deserve the "big blank stare". Nothing takes the fuel out of blowhards as much as making them feel non-essential.

I've been trying to think of something really nasty to say about this Pastor Phelps, character.

I find it hard to understand how he can reconcile his Christianity, with his need to gloat over the terrible and violent end of a fellow human being (for any reason) and then to gloat further on his religious belief's consignment of that human being's spirit, or soul, to eternal punishment.

I suppose the linking of the name Phelps and the practice of felching has been done many times.

Pastor Fred 'the Felcher' Phelps It has a certain ring to it.

Who knows, perhaps some day, a band of Gay Bikers from Hell will turn up and nail Pastor Fred 'the Felcher' Phelps over that monument... many, many times. ;)

Dark Detective 3:15

How much would a "Fred Phelps - evil twat" statue cost?

Dark Detective wrote:
How much would a "Fred Phelps - evil twat" statue cost?

If it's a monument to his stupidity, we'd never raise enough money to build one big enough to do him justice :)

DD, we ironed out the bugs in that orbital partical beam yet?

I think a "bolt from the blue" upon statue and builder would be just what the good deity ordered...

You can only really hope that the police will turn a blind eye to anyone filing off the inscription after the name and leaving it, like Escargot said, as a true memorial to the poor lad.

The Phelps idiot makes me sick.

Another alternative would be to raise other statues in the park to other people who died contravening Leviticus:

"In memory of John Smith, who cut the corners of his beard..."

"Joe Bloggs wore mixed fibres in opposition to gods laws and now pays the ultimate..."

Just to take the power away , and show the ridiculousness of the gesture

You know, this sort of vile, hatred infused act usually gets reported on news programmes here as "Only In America".

Sadly, that's not true. There are a large number of people who would no doubt support the Rev Phelps, just as they probably supported the Alabama legislature for erecting a monument of the ten commandments.

They always make me wonder about the stuff they taught us in Sunday School about "Love Thy Neighbour" and "Turn the other cheek" and that sort of thing. Was that just some hippy trend of the 70s?

Leviticus :D

I know you've probably read this before, but it's SO funny, and there may be some who haven't come across it:

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. She has said that homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as
informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. ...End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.
When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Leviticus 1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual cleanliness - Leviticus 15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
Leviticus 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Leviticus 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?
Leviticus 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Leviticus 19:27. How should they die?
I know from Leviticus 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
My uncle has a farm. He violates Leviticus 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? -Leviticus 24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Leviticus 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging. Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

Arthur ASCII said:
Leviticus :D

I know you've probably read this before, but it's SO funny, and there may be some who haven't come across it...
Always happy to be reminded of that one. :)

Unfortunately the problem here is a bigot who doesn't quote Leviticus 18:22 because it's 'The Word of Gawd' but because-

a) it gives him a rationale that supports his pre-existing, irrational hatred of Gays, and

b) it gives him the opportunity to gain influence and authority over other bigots (as a spokesperson 'for Gawd' and 'Against Gays' he will exercise some influence with the like-let's be charitable and call it-minded; sad but inevitable), and that's what they call a 'power-base'. :(

The proof? We could get some online caterer to deliver fresh shellfish to his door, but he probably wouldn't get the gag... :nonplus:

escargot said:
If this memorial were erected in my town with such a plaque (very unlikely indeed- not through tolerance but apathy!) then I'd personally ensure that it had fresh flowers beside it at all times.

Freash flowers? I'd love to be so forgiving but the only thing I'd introduce it to would be a sledge hammer.

There realy is no way I can express how this makes me feel. I'm going to fume for a few minutes and sit with my hands clenched at my side.

The Virgin Queen said:
Freash flowers? I'd love to be so forgiving but the only thing I'd introduce it to would be a sledge hammer.

There realy is no way I can express how this makes me feel. I'm going to fume for a few minutes and sit with my hands clenched at my side.

OK I'll be more forgiving...lets go for a peacefull protest. A candle lit vigil at the statue perhaps with readings from St. Paul:

Faith, hope and Charity and the greatist of these is caharity*.

*Mr. Phelps may be interested to know that a more exact translation of St. Paul would be 'Faith, hope and empithy...' Meby he can look the meaning of that one up in the dictionary.

The Virgin Queen said:
*Mr. Phelps may be interested to know that a more exact translation of St. Paul would be 'Faith, hope and empithy...' Meby he can look the meaning of that one up in the dictionary.
I suspect that Pastor Fred 'the Felcher' Phelps thinks that 'empathy' is merely another form of deviant sexual practice.

AndroMan said:
I suspect that Pastor Fred 'the Felcher' Phelps thinks that 'empathy' is merely another form of deviant sexual practice.

I'm sure he considers empathy to have a few to meny tricky letters in it.

evil biggoted bastard

Why let this guy piss you off? As other posters have said, he's not your problem, because his hatred is right out of the closet (d'you see what I did there?!), and is easily exposed to ridicule for its extremism.

Those whose prejudices are hidden under a bushel are far more dangerous.

It's like the difference between the threat posed by hook-handed loud-mouth Abu Hamza versus that posed by the sharp suited young men who comprised some of the hijackers on Sep 11.

Conners_76 said:
Why let this guy piss you off? As other posters have said, he's not your problem, because his hatred is right out of the closet (d'you see what I did there?!), and is easily exposed to ridicule for its extremism.

Those whose prejudices are hidden under a bushel are far more dangerous.

It's like the difference between the threat posed by hook-handed loud-mouth Abu Hamza versus that posed by the sharp suited young men who comprised some of the hijackers on Sep 11.

I know I know but even right thinking people need their four minute hate sometimes. :(

I know you should let these idiot ranting wash over you too but most of the time they have such smug, self-satisfied annoying faces that you can't.

Blueswidow said:
I know you should let these idiot ranting wash over you too but most of the time they have such smug, self-satisfied annoying faces that you can't.

They realy realy chalange my pasifism. I mean REALY F***ING CHALANGE IT. :furious: :furious:

Re: Re: Fag hating fundamentalists

lopaka said:
We hired security guards for Ben's memorial service because we thought there was a good chance they'd show up (they didn't).

i amazed at religions capacity for pure evil........

how is it that "liberals" dont go on killing sprees every other week end at these "churches"..

The Virgin Queen said:

Actually, in the original Greek it's just the rather vague; 'Faith, hope and love.'

Re: Re: Re: Fag hating fundamentalists

sidecar_jon said:
how is it that "liberals" dont go on killing sprees every other week end at these "churches"..
Because those god-damned pinko-lefties just don't have the guts!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fag hating fundamentalists

anome said:
Because those god-damned pinko-lefties just don't have the guts!

Liberals ARM YOURSELVES.... u have noting to loose but some evil a**holes.....we will of course pay for any damage.

A letter from a son who left

The Capital-Journal/May 19, 1993
By Mark W. Phelps

Editors Note: This is a letter Mark Phelps wrote last year to citizens of Topeka and northeast Kansas. It is printed at his request. It was received at . Contacted by telephone in California July 7, 1994, Mark Phelps said the letter still represents his feelings. He also cautioned people against taking the letter out of context, saying there is "gentleness" in the context of the letter and a hope that the community can better understand Fred Phelps based on what the letter contains.

"Many people have been asking me, over the past several weeks, about my father. They want to know what I think about him and 'What is he really like?' People's interest in what I think baffles me, but after careful consideration, I decided to respond.

What is he like? Well, it's been 19 years since I left home, but his behavior still appears to be the same. He considers his environment to be against him without admitting, acknowledging or taking responsibility for how he contributes to that. He likes to show himself as being moral, pro-family, pro-Bible, but his actions just don't add up to that. I believe in God and the Bible, and my father's behavior doesn't fit the description of behavior that would show in the life of one who loves God; behavior characteristics such as Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self-control. Instead, my father's behavior characterizes, I believe, Hate, Outbursts of Wrath, Contention, Jealousy, Vengefulness, Misery, Harshness, and Selfish ambition. He mis-states the truth about his own behavior, about others, about the Bible, with apparent ease and regularity. He behaves with a viciousness the likes of which I have never seen. He accepts no genuine accountability in his life and is subject to no one. His lifestyle betrays the sacred trust of what a pastor, husband, father and grandfather should be. I suppose if a comparison were made between the life of Jesus Christ and my father, there would not be much to compare.

I also realize that my father is a very unstable person who is determined to hurt people. And because he is so bound to be hateful and hurtful, and because he's so untrustworthy, I believe it's a good idea to respond to him with caution much like the caution used when dealing with a rattlesnake or a mad dog. You see, the causes that he crusades for, including the Bible, are not the issue here. He simply wants to hate and to have a forum for his hate. If the causes he focuses on were the issue, that is, if they really meant something to him in his heart and he meant for the things he does to be for the good, his behavior would not be what it is. He would not betray his message with his behavior. But, when he needs to, to vent his hate, he readily goes outside the bounds of any previously stated 'value' or 'cause' he may have supported. He experiences no moral dilemma when it comes to doing what he wants to do. If it weren't the homosexuals, it would be something else.

Yet checks and balances on his behavior are appropriate, on the part of the community, in order to at least confine his destructive behaviors and to limit his influence. I believe that Topekans are making a good effort to try and stop him and should continue to do so. He can seem very intimidating. He can use foul language and come across with a booming voice to the community, but the truth is, like the Wizard of Oz, when Toto pulls the curtain back, instead of this big powerful individual, it's only a small, pathetic old man. I feel sorry for my father as I would for anyone who displays this kind of hate and evil viciousness. These can only be the manifestations of tortured, injured and agonizing souls."

This information on Phelps from a poster on one of my other boards:

Okay, I've run across some info about Fred Phelps (which I haven't verified) but this is what I've heard (all with a big "ALLEGEDLY" ahead of it, for legal purposes):

Phelps is a 65 year old former lawyer and convicted criminal who was disbarred several years ago in both state and federal courts because he lied to and about judges, cheated his clients, abused every facet of the legal profession and its powers in and out of court and otherwise behaved boorishly in and out of court. Four of his 13 children have left him and say he beat them and his wife unmercifully for many years, forced them as children to sell candy door to door to support him while he attended law school, cheated the IRS out of thousands of dollars for years. Three other 'church' members have also been convicted of crimes and Fred and his 300 lb. lawyer son, Jonathan, will be going on trial later this year on still more criminal charges. All of his children still attached to him are angry, grossly obese, obsessive-compulsive freaks with law degrees who misuse their law degrees to bully and intimidate the local populace into tolerating their illegal conduct. There is NOTHING they won't do to further their goals: vandalism, covert surveillance, harassing phone calls, anonymous threats, etc. and they indeed have intimidated many in Topeka. They have bought off a few politicians who were able to keep them from being arrested for three years until the scheme was investigated by the sheriff and exposed. The chief of police resigned in disgrace because he'd order Topeka police not to arrest the Phelpses even if they observed illegal conduct. Most of the time, the police wouldn't even take complaints of Phelps illegal conduct from citizens. But that's apparently changed.

Also something I couldn't verify are claims that he is a "self-ordained minister" and has no credentials as clergy from any legitimate, established, or recognized religious organization. The mainstream Baptist organizations apparently don't claim him as one of their own.

The Phelps clan files dozens of frivolous lawsuits against public officials and private citizens every year clogging and have kept state and federal courts clogged up with these lawsuits for the last three years. (This is just a continuation of one of the patterns of conduct that got Phelps disbarred and 3 of his lawyer children severely disciplined in the late 1980's). He's lost just about every one of them and will soon be ordered to pay the state hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees. I expect he'll declare bankruptcy.

Phelps has a national radio show which can be heard on about two dozen Amerinet network affiliates, by the Amerinet shortwave station and on the Amerinet downlink satellite site (Galaxy 6, Transponder 23, Audio 8.1 wide 8 pm CDT Sundays). Amerinet is owned and operated by Jeff Baker, a radical Florida anti-abortionist and militia leader. Though I've never heard it myself (nor care to) reports from those who have indicate Phelps makes many anti-Semitic statements on his show (which I guess is something new since he took up with Baker), rails against abortion, and in general spouts the Christian Identity line. He requires all the women in his 'church' to wear their hair past their considerable waists in 'subjection' to him.

Phelps is also a close friend of Greg Dixon, 'pastor' of the Indianapolis Baptist Temple which actually is no longer a officially a church since the IRS took away their church "tax exempt" status. Phelps often refers to Dixon in his faxes and radio show, and during one of the nationwide Christian Identity gatherings, Phelps addressed Dixon's assemly in Indianapolis. Dixon is the founder of the American Coalition of Unregistered Churches, a front group for "tax protestors," the makeup of which is mostly Posse Comitatus (i.e., the KKK).

Phelps is nose-deep in the Posse Comitatus himself. Four of his close associates, whom he occasionally lists on the 'church' roster when advantageous in his lawsuits, are self-confessed members of the Posse, various local militias, and the Freemen. One of the Freemen arrested in Montana, Jon Barry Nelson, is/was a member of a Kansas Freemen group that included several WBC members.

Fred Phelps picketed President Clinton's mother's funeral. Many people (and I was one of them) mistakenly believe he pickets only the funerals of homosexuals and/or AIDS victims. Not true. He pickets anyone, anywhere whose funeral is likely to draw media attention and/or large crowds. Crowds and publicity are the two magnets that attract him and his bus-load of kooks.

In addition most people believe (again myself included) he only pickets homosexuals or businesses owned by homosexuals, or businesses employing homosexuals. Wrong. According to what I've read the bulk of his local picketing in Topeka, Kansas (where he's based) is against heterosexuals who've opposed his neo-nazi, gestapo style. He pickets the local daily newspaper, government and law enforcement buildings, courthouses, the Jehovah's Witnesses Convention, Boy Scout meetings, day care centers, pediatricians' offices, traveling entertainment, theater and concert productions (he apparently even picketed 'Frosty the Snowman' and the 'Ice Capades'), high schools, school board meetings, cultural exhibits, other lawyers' offices, restaurants - the list is nearly endless. Fred could really care less about homosexuals - they're simply a vehicle for him to abuse and harass people of all sexual orientations.

Also allegedly, Phelps' grandson is one of the creators of godhatesfags.com, one appears to need permissions to get onto the 'fags' page, but a truly bizarre part of the site with public assess is here:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/fags/fagsvskids.html

Back