• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gospel Music from the Hebrides

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anyone see Robert Beckford's Channel 4 documentary about the theory that black American gospel music originated the north of Scotland? Surprisingly convincing the way it was presented, but didn't take coincidence into consideration. The trouble is, although both the Scottish and American music sounded alike, it's a tricky subject to bring up as many might be offended by the suggestion as it denies the uniqueness of the American music, especially as the Scots would have been their slave masters back when it is supposed to have originated. Thought provoking, though, accurate or not.

Yep, I saw that last night. I must admit that the music did sound similar to me, and when Beckford followed the supposed path of how it evolved it did seem plausible at the time.

On further reflection, I think that the theory might be having a little too much read into it, and some more exploration of traditional African music might have produced a more effective counterpoint. Surely there would have been some tradition of acapella chanting in the societies the slaves were taken from? (I admit, shamefully, that the only example of this I can think of is from the film Zulu, but you see what I mean.)

The parrallels drawn between the Highland Clearances and the slave trade were interesting to me as well, as was the speed with which a disposessed and socially persecuted people were happy to become major players in the oppression of another forcibly disenfranchised people.

On the whole, I thought it was a thought provoking programme, and yeah, there may have been some kind of cross cultural exchange, in fact I'd be surprised if there wasn't, but to say Gospel definitely evolved from Gaelic Psalm Chanting is pushing it a bit far IMHO.

<Grins> Ever read a book called `Captain Courageous` by R Kipling?

One of the character is a Gaelic speaker with the second sight from Nova Scotiat, his name is McDonald and he is rather dusky for a Scot...

Ah, I see. So it could be that some people have known about a possible connection for years then.

Not as new and exciting as anybody thought, after all. :(

Back