• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Graveyards / Cemeteries

Graveyards are important habitats for owls, bats and rare flora and we should cherish them. As far as spookiness goes, my mother lived opposite one during the war and apparently the dog would snarl and jump up at nothing in particular and appear to lean on 'something'. This may well have had nothing to do with the churchyard of course.
A few years ago my partner and I lived next to a rural graveyard in a pleasant rural spot. The only thing we both experienced was about once a year a particular melancholy would seem to possess the house that gave us both the most vivid and alarming dreams but by morning it was gone. Again, probably nothing to do with the bone yard.

Graveyards are ace. A bit ago me and my dad walked around the one down the road, and it was really foggy. Since it was on a hill, lights from the road on the other side of the graveyard lit up the fog and silloheted (cant spell) the gravestones against the sky. Looked well good!

Its just a shame though that they get vandalised all the time. No damn respect.

Has anyone heard of the graveyard gaurdian? Allegedly the first person to be buried there is destined to protect the graveyard and is often seen wandering around them at night.

Bodies removed as ground expands

Work has started on exhuming 50 Victorian corpses from a site next to a county cricket ground in order to make way for a bigger playing area.
Archaeologists are removing the bodies from the graveyard beside Somerset County Cricket Club in Taunton.

Until they crumbled away, headstones in the graveyard of St James's Church had been struck by cricket balls for more than 100 years.

At the end of a two-year campaign, the club won final approval for expansion.

Somerset County Cricket Club bought a section of the consecrated ground for £75,000.

Following consultation with the Bishop of Bath and Wells, the club purchased a corner of the churchyard and will now enlarge the ground by the seven yards required for it to meet international standards.

What remains of the skeletons will be placed in a single box and buried under a new hill designed for cricket spectators.

Sally Donohue, of the cricket club, said: "The work must be done in a very reverent and seemly manner with no press or public watching the bodies. Anyone who does try to turn up will be chased off."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7258809.stm

Any suggestions for likely names for this new viewing area?

rynner said:
What remains of the skeletons will be placed in a single box and buried under a new hill designed for cricket spectators.
:shock: Crikey, that's a bit harsh. Guess they'll be getting some extra spectators on match days!

Re: Southern Iowa Cemetery Crawl

tattooted said:
Do the Brits have anything like the American Memorial Day, a day set aside to honor the dead?

No, but we apparently can't start a football match without having 2 minutes of silence to remember the dead, any dead, who might have conceivably been connected to the teams involved, however tenuously (though this is optional). Along with black armbands for the teams, naturally.

Once upon a time my friend was on a Community Service order, clearing the grounds of the old church in town which was demolished and replaced with flats. Obviously not being the most fastidious of workers, they soon enough found themselves playing frisbee with a wig.........

Yep, correct, it was a scalp, left/missed by the also less-than-fastidious workers who had supposedly cleared the graves.

That was the end of that little assignment!
The flats that went up are sheltered accomodation for the elderly, sort of like a graveyard-in-waiting.

A great graveyard to visit is The Necropolis in Glasgow. Filled with the great and the good (OK, the rich) of Victorian Glaswegian society, the mausoleums and memorials are fantastic, on a hill, overlooking parts of the city. Were you to "accidentally" find yourself evading the wardens who lock up at night, you'd see the wonderful way the moon animates white marble Angels, Saints and erm, Industrialists, the place really is a "city of the dead". No scary experiences, I'm afraid to say, apart from a dog-fox barking, which did loosen the bowels somewhat.
As said previously, the main danger is from the living, the drug-takers and ne'er-do-wells who may be about, even during the day. It's peaceful and quiet, but even a handy fit chap like me was told to keep an eye out over my shoulder by the wardens (parkies, or gardeners I suppose!).

Well worth a visit though!

There was a TV prog a few years ago about an east end church that was turned into a concert hall. The bodies had to be removed by eastern european workers - who were less plentiful then - because they still had inoculation jabs for diseases the UK had got rid of but which may have once seen off the interments, things like diphtheria and bubonic plague.

Personally, I love graveyards/cemeteries (call 'em what you will - they're all repositories for people that are no longer alive).

I've always had a slight obsession with them, right from being young, which coukd have something to do with all the ghost and horror stories I read and films I watched back then. Now I love them for their peacefulness.

There used to be one over the road from where I lived before I moved to where I am now and I loved going there on hot Sunday afternoons as these were always when it was quietest. One day when I was exploring I found a Jewish section, which fascinated me, having never seen specifically a Jewish burial place (I find other burial customs, etc, interesting).

I've got loads of photos of places like Greyfriars in Edinburgh, some in London, the Glasgow Necropolis (which I haven't got round to putting on the computer yet) and some of some shrines in Thailand I took last summer.

If anyone wants me to post links to the existing pages let me know and I'll do so.

I was in Forest Park Cemetery Recently. (Near Albany, NY)
It's abandoned and so very creepy.
The land is generous, but the graves are sparse and over-grown, with little creeks flowing about.

There are a minimal number of large monumental statues, all of whose heads have been cut off..adding to the atmosphere on a wintery day.

I did not have my camera with me, but found these:
http://family.webshots.com/album/558003373YDSVsw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Park_Cemetery

I also live by quite a few cemeteries out here. One is where the buried alive scene in Fulci's City of the Living Dead were Filmed, another has the grave of Walt Kelly of Pogo Fame

Here are some of my own photos of these places by me...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34631559@N00/

This is an interesting discussion, however I have a question. Why is it in the ghosts section? Ghosts are no more frequent in graveyards than anywhere else. In fact, I seem to remember reading somewhere once that. if anything, they are unusually rare in graveyards.

Depends, some would argue "they are no more frequent in graveyards" because they don't exist, no matter where you think they may occur/dwell/appear/haunt/happen.

where i live currently there is an old folks home that looks directly over the graveyard next door... pretty poor planning when you think about it... not even a fence there.

In fact the graveyards round here (bumblefuck, eastern canada) are the least spooky I have ever seen. Maybe because of the relatively short time the place has been populated by europeans prone building what I conside conventional graveyards. None of those proudly melancholic grand headstones to set the mind off.

norton51 said:
This is an interesting discussion, however I have a question. Why is it in the ghosts section? Ghosts are no more frequent in graveyards than anywhere else. In fact, I seem to remember reading somewhere once that. if anything, they are unusually rare in graveyards.

How often to people actually die in graveyards though? I'd imagine a ghost would be liklier to inhabit the place of death rather than where the physical remains are eventually buried.

More room on top - lack of space brings in the doubledecker grave
Space in Britain's graveyards is increasingly at a premium. Of 600,000 people who die each year in Britain a third are still buried
Fiona Hamilton, London Correspondent

The disturbance of human remains in burial grounds is to be allowed for the first time since the early Victorian era to deal with a shortage of graves, The Times has learnt.

Under a test scheme to begin in the new year, local authorities across the country will be allowed to exhume remains and rebury them deeper to create space for further burials on top. In some cases, new inscriptions will be added to the existing headstone to ensure that the heritage of the grave is not destroyed. Damaged or insignificant headstones would be removed and replaced with only the new name.

The move comes amid an acute shortage of burial grounds in London and other urban areas, where many cemeteries have already run out of space. It would also ease the difficulty of the disposal of bodies in the event of a pandemic.

Last year a government survey showed that burial grounds in England and Wales will become full in about 30 years. In the capital the shortage is more severe. At least three boroughs have run out of space and some cemeteries have less than a decade left.

Tim Morris, chief executive of the Institute of Cemeteries and Crematorium Management and a member of the Government's burial advisory body, said that only abandoned graves dating back more than 100 years would be considered for reburial under the new scheme.

“In the cities this is a serious problem and our cemeteries are just not sustainable,” he told The Times. “We need these powers across the country or we are going to have serious disposal problems.”

Until the 1850s, bodies were routinely removed from graves but the practice was forbidden in 1852.

If the experiment is successful and the Government agrees to change the law, it will amount to the biggest change in burial practices since cremation was introduced in 1902.

The preferred way of re-using graves would be a doubledecker-style approach, by lifting existing remains, deepening the grave and laying a new coffin on top.

In London alone, local councils have the powers to use available space in abandoned graves - without touching interred remains - if they are more than 75 years old and no living relatives object. Under new powers passed last year, also only in London, authorities can apply to disturb remains but only in private graves.

Mr Morris said, however, that the powers were rarely used because the vast majority of graves with space in the capital were public and could not be touched.

Across the rest of Britain, no interred remains can be touched at all. As shortages exist nationally, Mr Morris said that new powers were essential for every graveyard.

The City of London Authority, which runs a 200-acre cemetery in Manor Park, East London, has applied to be part of the Government's pilot scheme.

Ian Hussein, director of the authority's cemetery and crematorium division, said that the country's largest cemetery was rapidly running out of space and that the authority desperately needed the power to disturb public graves as they provided “acres and acres” of room.

“We are running out of room, it's as simple as that, unless they introduce legislation to allow re-use,” he said.

“It's primarily about space, but we also need to make sure that people have the option of an affordable burial in close proximity to their residence.”

Shortages of grave space are so severe in the capital that some councils are capitalising on their monopoly by charging non-residents a premium for burials. Some charge in excess of £1,000 each time.

In Tower Hamlets, the council offers residents a £225 subsidy to offset the cost of looking further afield for burial space. The East London borough has no space left underground.

In an attempt to conserve space, some boroughs accept only residents or people with a connection to the area for burial. Newham Council, in East London, uses this strategy but is still concerned about space once the City of London cemetery reaches capacity. While there are currently 1,000 available graves, a spokesman said that spaces would be taken up rapidly from the overflow.

Some councils outside the capital require grieving relatives to adhere to strict rules about the length of their plots. In Basildon, Essex, plot-holders were told that they could not extend their space for tributes more than 3ft (90cm), to allow space for footpaths in the cemetery.

Alan Fairchild, of the Society of Local Council Clerks and another member of the burial advisory board, said that re-use was needed to create more space underground but that any new powers would be exercised sensitively. Re-use would take place only if there were no objections from existing family members. Objections could also be made on grounds of religious practice.

“It's an important measure for us to be able to provide burial space throughout the country,” he said. “It's a very sustainable way of doing it.”

Of the 600,000 people who die every year in Britain, just under 30 per cent are buried.

Mr Morris said that public consultation over the past year had raised very few concerns.

A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Justice, which is overseeing the test scheme, said: “We are currently reviewing the next steps and expect to announce our plans in the new year.”

A pilot scheme would involve up to a dozen local authorities in both urban and rural areas across Britain. Any scheme is expected to take 18 months and will involve public consultation.

The history

— In the 1500s, with space at a premium, remains were disinterred and placed in a charnel house so that the churchyard could be reused

— In the Great Plague of 1665, mass graves were created. It is popularly believed that Blackheath, London, was so named because Black Death victims were buried there

— In the early 19th century space was so scarce that corpses were buried only 2ft down

— The 1852 Burial Act set up a national system of cemeteries. Urban churchyards presented such health hazards that suburban cemeteries were established

— Cremation was introduced in 1902

— Highgate Cemetery, North London, is the last resting place for many famous people, including Karl Marx, Christina Rossetti, George Elliot and Sir Ralph Richardson

The alternatives

Woodland burial
A tree is planted to mark a grave instead of a traditional headstone. There are 200 such woodlands in Britain

Burial in the garden
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs must be consulted on location to check risk to watercourses. A burial spot must be stated on the deeds of the property

Cryonics
A speculative life support technology where the body or just the brain is frozen until it becomes scientifically possible to give a “second life” to the deceased

Cremation
Ashes kept in an urn, scattered at sea, in gardens, at favourite location or turned into memorial diamonds

Burial at sea
A licence must be obtained from the Marine and Fisheries Agency, and the body must not be embalmed

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 150884.ece

This reminds me that a new cemetery opened here this week. I may pop over and have a look today.

I did look at the new cemetery, and very nice it is too. As it doesn't open until the new year, I was forced to take photos and videos through the gate.
When it opens I'll pop along again and have a proper nose around.

What a strange place that'll be - an empty cemetery. Well, there'll have to have been at least one burial by the first week after opening.

Can't help wondering, y'know, who'll be first?
Has to be somebody.

Hmmm...a new cemetery. Is there any reason why we can't bury people vertically instead of horizontally? I'm not exactly saying we inter the dead in giant cardboard Pringle tubes, but with space at a premium on these shores, you'd get a lot more in if the plot was about 3 ft square.

That's me being practical.

If we didn't insist on embalming people, putting them in lead coffins, etc., the problem would solve itself. I want to be composted, myself.

The new cemetery is expected to last for 80 years. The old one goes back to the 1850s, when the town began growing.

The local council has committed itself to promession.

I couldn't see a 'Promatorium' there but I haven't been inside yet.

Bindun, in Manchester:
Cremations to keep mourners warm

Mourners shivering in a chapel are to be kept warm using "body heat" generated from cremating their loved ones.

The idea will be tried at a crematorium near Manchester where grieving friends and relatives have complained of the cold during services.

Tameside council will use heat from cremating bodies to keep the mourners warm at Dukinfield Crematorium.

Town hall chiefs say the heat generated will be enough to power the boiler and light the chapel. But they admit it is a "sensitive" issue and have promised to consult clergy and the wider community.

Robin Monk, the environment chief of Tameside Council, said: "I'm not sure how people will react, but we don't want to upset anyone. We will carry out full consultation with priests, vicars and the public before a decision is taken."

The Rev Tim Hayes, of St John's Church, Dukinfield, said: "I have no problem with it," and the Rev Vernon Marshall, of Old Chapel, said: "As a final act of generosity, it's a lovely way for the dead to provide comfort for the living at a difficult time."

Does this belong here?

Howzat for a send-off?

A CRICKET club owner has been buried next to the scoreboard at his beloved Haslington ground.

Mike Trevor, of Fields Road, Haslington, was buried at the club he has run for more than 20 years on Friday following a funeral which family and friends say was more like a wedding.

Sam Trevor, son of 70-year-old Mike, said his dad had the day he wanted.

"It was unbelievable," said 39-year-old Sam. "A couple of people turned round and said it was the best funeral they'd ever been to and that it was more like a wedding. We wanted it to be celebration of his life and it was."

Sam said his dad decided he wanted to be buried at the cricket club two and a half years ago when he was first diagnosed with cancer.

Various checks with officials, including the environment agency, then had to be taken before permission was granted.

The funeral was held at the Clay Lane club and then Mike was taken in a horse drawn hearse to his final resting place - next to the score board.

"It was incredible about 500 people attended," said Sam. "We'd only catered for 200 but we managed. We'd just like to really thank everyone who turned up."

Some of those who attended had flown in from as far away as Canada. Others came from Scotland and Ireland.

They all took part in the celebration of Mike's life which was led by his widow, Pauline, elder son Michael, 44, and his wife Melanie and daughter Louise, together with Sam, his wife Nicky and their son Oli.

In keeping with Mike's wishes, there was a big celebration followed by a hog roast. "Again, that was just what he wanted," added Sam.

I was working with some friends of this chap's and they said it was a super do.
I'm not sure the hog-roast was in the best of taste, though.

sends shivers

Has anyone read any topics on RE-Using graves?
terrible terrible terrible is all i can say.
apparently after 100 years the grave stone will be removed,
the grave opened, remains crushed by a jcb and then the plot
resold.
I read this on a london council website and it applies to the whole of the UK
IMO this is disrespectful.
Shouldnt be allowed but hey in 100 years who will give a crap about you!!!!

When you buy a grave plot though you don't actually own the ground forever. You get 100 years on it.

Round here there's no question of re-using graves as a new cemetery is being opened. Anyway, there are more cremations than ever before, which don't take up much space.

On sky Arts now, Dead Art - all about cemeteries. Pere Lachaise! Wow! :D

I've always liked graveyards for some reason, i've never been scared of them, even when i was a child, i'd spend ages walking around looking at the headstones, wondering about the people, who they were, what were thay like. Even now that three members of my family are buried there, i still find it a lovely calm place to go to sit and think.

Wimbledon church charges tennis fans £20 a day to park on top of graves
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 7:42 PM on 25th June 2009

Desperate tennis fans with nowhere to park for the Wimbledon tournament are paying £20 to leave their cars on graves in a nearby churchyard.

St Mary's Church in Wimbledon Village is offering spectators parking spots on consecrated ground for £20 a day, directly above the remains of parishioners.

The proceeds of the unofficial parking scheme go to charity but some residents are angry with the plan, describing it as 'disrespectful'.

In previous years cars have been restricted to the adjacent field.

One resident, Tim Brown, 38, said it was completely 'out of order'.
'The expression to feel like someone's walked over your grave - well imagine a 4x4 parked over your grave.

'I think it's disrespectful to people who have family buried there. I noticed it the other day when I was walking past, about six or seven cars parked there.

'There's plenty of parking elsewhere for tennis-goers, Wimbledon make absolutely loads more parking available during the tennis.'

Mr Brown said people were simply too lazy to walk the extra five miles to the courts.

'Graveyards and churches are just places where you have a bit of respect for the dead - and these people clearly don't have that,' he said.

Reverend Mary Bide said that although the cars look 'odd', they were only parked in the oldest part of the graveyard and funds raised would make a 'valuable contribution to the Church and the Diocese'.

But the church has since apologised for the car parking arrangement and has stopped the use of the churchyard.
'Over many years, during the Wimbledon Championships, the parish of St Mary Wimbledon has offered this service to the public,' a church spokesman said.
'Each year three designated charities benefit from some of the money raised by allowing the cars to park and the rest goes towards work within the parish.

'Sadly, this year, some cars were parked in inappropriate places.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 0-day.html

I'd be proud to have someone park on my grave if it meant they could see Wimbledon. I'd be doing my bit for the tournament. Still, six cars on a few hundreds-years-old graves isn't exactly the end of the world, is it?

I totally agree with drbates, how disrespectful. The thought of someone parking a car on my loved ones grave, makes my blood boil.
Worst of all so they can watch bleeping tennis.
Graves are very personal to the people that are left behind. I myself, while i'm visiting my loved ones grave try to show the utmost respect to the other people burried there. If you'd lost a loved one, you'll know what i mean. :x

US cemetery workers 'dug up bodies and re-sold graves'
Four cemetery workers have been charged with dismembering bodies after police found what they called "startling and revolting" conditions at a historic cemetery near Chicago.
Published: 11:11PM BST 09 Jul 2009

Workers at the Burr Oak Cemetery in Alsip allegedly dug up more than 100 graves, dumped the bodies into unmarked mass graves and re-sold the plots to unsuspecting members of the public, said Tom Dart, the Cook County sheriff.

The sheriff's investigation began six weeks ago when the cemetery's owner reported that an employee who began feeling guilty revealed what allegedly had been going on, possibly for as long as four years, Mr Dart said.

"All of us who were working on this for the last week were pretty distraught," Mr Dart said. "You start with the premise of your own loved ones and how they are cared for after they are buried, but there is also a true significance to this particular cemetery."

The three men and one woman were charged on Thursday with one count each of dismembering a human body.

Burr Oak is the final resting place of many famous African-Americans, including Emmett Till, whose 1955 lynching at age 14 added impetus to the civil rights movement. Also buried at Burr Oak are the blues singers Willie Dixon, Dinah Washington and Otis Spann, as well as Inman Jackson, who rose to fame as a basketball star for the Harlem Globetrotters.

"For many years, this was the only cemetery where African Americans could be buried," said Spencer Leak Sr, president of Leak and Sons Funeral Home.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... raves.html

Back