• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gravity - new film

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A largely favourable, but fairly long, review of the new movie.

Gravity: how real is the science?
Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity might be gripping cinema but how accurate is the space thriller?
By Roger Highfield
7:00AM GMT 01 Nov 2013

To use a cliché loved by those who toil in Hollywood, making movies is not rocket science – even, apparently, when the subject is.

Yet movie science rarely adds up to more than yet another way to tell the same old stories, strewn with mad professors, humanoid aliens and rockets that rumble in the vacuum of space when – dammit – we all know that out there no one can hear you scream. 8)

Director Alfonso Cuarón’s latest film Gravity has been praised for its realistic portrayal of life in space. Indeed, during a press conference in Mexico City a journalist even asked about the difficulties experienced by George Clooney and Sandra Bullock while filming in orbit: “Did the camera operators get sick?” The questions left Cuarón bemused (it emerged the reporter was working for a satirical television programme).

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... ience.html

Really enjoyed it, one of the best I've seen this year. 8/10

Didn't even waste time thinking of the scientific plausability of a lot of what happened - needless to say a lot of it seemed implausible.

But, if the reality of what would likely happen happened you'd not have the enjoyable film that followed.

Better than "Soft Landing" the introductory sequence to the Heavy Metal movie?

More accurate than the ending of "Dark Star"?

Planning to try to catch it in the local "real" "IMAX" theatre.

Another favourable review:

Lore of 'Gravity': Alfonso Cuarón's space thriller has all the makings of a modern masterpiece
Matthew Bell Sunday 03 November 2013

Gravity had a production budget of $100m, but has already netted more than £360m since its US release. Despite some minor quibbles, space experts are impressed. Buzz Aldrin, the second man to walk on the Moon, said: "Going through the space station was done just the way that I've seen people do it in reality."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 19259.html

I may have to go and see this one - I might not live to see it on TV!

How Gravity changed my mind about 3D
Gravity uses 3D in a way Anne Billson has never seen before. And unlike Avatar, Piranha 3D or The Final Destination, it's awe-inspiring
By Anne Billson
12:30PM GMT 08 Nov 2013

Another 3D film? What a pain. [Long rant against 3D films follows...]
It’s more trouble than it’s worth.

Until now. With Gravity, Alfonso Cuarón has gone and upset my apple cart by using 3D in a way I’ve never seen before. Yes, we get the Ooh, look! Space debris whizzing past my face! effect. But he also harnesses the process to draw the audience directly into the plight of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, so we experience what they’re experiencing, see what they’re seeing, feel the emptiness and awe-inspiring vastness of space itself – and all of this filmed so seamlessly you catch yourself thinking it must surely have been shot on location.

It’s immersive film-making at its finest, and the nearest we’ll ever get to actually going up there, so take a deep breath (you’ll need the oxygen), choose the biggest screen you can find (Imax if possible) and watch it in 3D. You won’t regret it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... ut-3D.html

Gravity is the first film reviewed here:

Film 2013 - Episode 9

Claudia Winkleman and Danny Leigh review Alfonso Cuarón's box office record-breaker Gravity which stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.

Duration 30 minutes - Available until 11:34PM Wed, 13 Nov 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_9/

I saw this yesterday and highly recommend it. There's a bit of a back story designed to pull the emotions but it's definitely an event movie worth seeing on the big screen.

I usually think 3D gimmicky but its use here is woven nicely into the whole look of the film. When you think how cramped those capsules are, the 3D opens them right up and you find yourself soaking in the detail of the interior and the floaty debris. The disorientation as they scramble for hand holds is really well done. It is a bit of a game changer as far as cinematography is concerned and Film 2013 was right. Get some 3D glasses and sit right at the front.

I have to say that Hugo was a film that really made me rethink 3d for live action, esp. the use of 3-dimensional spaces, with the floaty element in that case mostly being steam.

May have to give Gravity a try. 8)

Saw this last week. Very engaging. Visually stunning in 3D. There was some pleasing gravitas to both the lead characters I didn't expect from the two Hollywood A-listers. I'd have cast some unknowns just to set it that much closer to authenticity. I give the film 4/5. Definitely see it in 3D.

The freefall scene early on in the film gives some visual reference as to what I was trying to describe here in my nightmare of the eternal descent thread.

Saw another stranded in space flick a few years ago called Love on very limited release at our local arthouse. The main character docks to begin his 6 month stay on the ISS and the world "goes out" beneath him without explanation leaving him up there to contemplate what has happened, as well as everything he is, was or ever will be. Wasn't brilliant but a nice way to pass an evening with a hash cookie and a syrupy red to wash it down.

OneWingedBird said:
I have to say that Hugo was a film that really made me rethink 3d for live action,
The Hobbit did it for me. Grandest illusion yet. Like going to the movies as a boy, I felt. Woke me up to 3D.

I agree about the 3D. I'm not really a fan of 3D and think it's a gimmick, but it worked so well with this film. Several times during the scene where the space station is being smashed to bits I actually flinched at the debris hurtling towards me. The 3D is just perfect in this. I did think the film became a bit farcical in the middle as literally everything goes wrong like murphy's law on crack and I couldn't get over the fact that after 42 days in space Sandra Bullock's legs and underarms are still perfectly smooth, but overall I did really like the film. The music was absolutely amazing as well, one of the best soundtracks I've heard.

Two thumbs up from me.

I haven't seen Gravity but I have watched this short film by Alfonso Cuarón's son, which serves as a sort of stand alone accompaniment to the main feature:

Aningaaq

Yes, like everyone who has a radio believes `Mayday` is a girls name...

...or that a Greenlander would get emotional about a dog.

Disbelief not suspended

Just watched this in 3D on Bluray.

Really enjoyed it!! Tense,full of spectacle, excellent score...so many good things about it that I can forgive the few faults I found with it.

Everyone round to my place this weekend for a second viewing!!

Moooksta said:

Really enjoyed it!! Tense,full of spectacle, excellent score...so many good things about it that I can forgive the few faults I found with it.

I'll bring a crate of Grolsch. I wish! :lol:

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Moooksta said:

I'll bring a crate of Grolsch. I wish! :lol:

You know the score...single malts only......

I watched it on Blu-Ray at the weekend.

Pretty good, I thought - but there were places where the CGI was obvious.
And there were a few flaws here and there (but I often forgive these if they're not too bad).

Back