• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Green Ladies Night

dreeness

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
:?
Has anyone ever heard a ghost story or folktale involving a spectral "green lady" haunting a swamp or marsh or forest, etc?
Over on the General Forteana forum in the "Creepy Canada" thread I was looking for information about a story of a green lady haunting a swamp in Ontario, after a bit of poking around on the web, it seems there are quite a few "green lady of the swamp" stories, from widely separate geographical areas. Could it be a case of an original story, from rural England maybe, being transplanted to different locations by immigrants? Or are these stories all of independent origin, just the kind of tale that inevitably becomes attached to any bleak remote isolated wilderness? Or perhaps, something else entirely?

Have a look at a few of these things:

http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=8844

http://www.curbstone.org/index.cfm?webpage=111

and check out these purported photographs of a supposed "green lady":
http://www.ghoststudy.com/monthly/jan03/green.html

:eek:

So, what do you think? Persistent migratory folktale?
Or, perhaps something more... disturbing?
:shock:

A lot of Scottish ladies ( Ghosts ) are called Green Jean, although I have no idea why this should be so. Green is always a colour associated with the ' fairies '. If I find more I will post it.

There's Jenny Greenteeth, a sort of fairy bogey woman intended to keep children away from ponds:

Jenny Greenteeth ay HGGTTG2

I thought Green Women were Scandinavian, according to this they're French:

Dames Vertes

And on from there you get to the Green Lady of Caerphilly

There is a Glamorganshire goblin called the Green Lady of Caerphilly, the colour of whose dress is indicated by her title. She haunts the ruin of Caerphilly Castle at night, wearing a green robe, and has the power of turning herself into ivy and mingling with the ivy growing on the. wall.

Why I though they were Scandanavian is because there's a Woman In Green in the Hall of the Mountain King in 'Peer Gynt' who's the daughter of the Troll King and rides a pig.

BTW Sacred Texts is a very useful site for legends, myths and folklore .

A few green lady's for your perusal:

http://www.geocities.com/dviper1978/investigation07.html

Green Lady Cemetery
Burlington, CT

John and Adam were both told of this cemetery by several sources. John has been to it twice to conduct investigations, while Adam only once. From what they have been told, the story of Green Lady goes something like this: around the early to mid 1800's a couple had lived in the marshy woods of what is now known as Burlington, CT. During a particularly bad winter the husband left their house to get food and supplies. Unfortunately the storm was so bad that he was delayed for a few days. Meanwhile the wife had grown concerned and had taken it upon herself to go out into the storm and find her husband. Consequently, she got lost in the storm and froze to death. When the husband was finally able to make his way home during a lull in the storm he discovered the grizzly remains of his wife in the frozen swamps.

The other story is similar except that the wife had wondered into the swamps alone and fell into the swamp. The husband hearing her screams for help was either unable or unwilling to rescue her.

In both stories the lady was wearing a green dress at the time of her death. Hence the "Green Lady." The true story behind her death is not altogether known. Like other sites the story is so old that it has been corrupted by time, filtering the truth has become difficult if not impossible. PSi hopes to find out the truth to this mystery.

http://www.hometowntales.com/thegreenlady.html

Towns & Tales
The Green Lady
Wahiawa, HI

In the rainforest around Wahiawa there is a scaly-skinned, seaweed-haired, clawed-handed specter known as the Green Lady. To find her, take a hike one evening on the “Green Lady” trail that traverses the Botanical Gardens to Lake Wilson. She was first reported by children at Wahiawa Elementary School in the 50s.

Source
[EDIT-Shortened link, Quixote]

Mr Matthews chose to study ghostly activity in the county after hearing stories from his mother-in-law, who lives locally, and is surprised by the certainty with which people recount their own supernatural experiences.

He said: "Normally when I visit places it's all very secretive. I think people are often embarrassed by what they think they've seen. But when I visit the stately homes and old pubs of Buckinghamshire it's like, Oh yeah the ghost. Jim saw him last Friday. You'd better speak to him'."

He is at a loss to explain the candour. "I don't really know why people are more forthcoming. Perhaps it is Buckinghamshire's history as a main thoroughfare from London to the provinces," he said. "They're a pretty cosmopolitan and accepting lot."

Mr Matthews says in his book that in 1946, a workman converting Woodrow High House for its current use as a youth club saw a woman dressed in green glide across a corridor of the house, before passing through a closed door and out into the surrounding woods.

Since then the story of the Green Lady made the High House famous.

Mr Fidgett adds: "Every child that comes here wants to know about the Green Lady. We always tell the ghost story to the children and make sure we put in some loud screams. I have a 16-year-old daughter who bears a passing resemblance to the lady. She sometimes dresses up in green and surprises the guests."

Back