• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Greenhaw Photos: Falkville, Alabama (1973): Shiny / Metal-Clad Figure

I've found a post on Reddit from a couple of years back giving the name of a specific individual responsible for the hoax - and yes, they were a fire chief from a neighbouring town in the same county, which seems to tally with the information above.

The person in question apparently asked for their role in the hoax to be kept quiet until after their death given the very negative impact on Greenhaw's life at the time, although many locals knew the truth.

It seems possible that the hoax wasn't necessarily aimed at Greenhaw in particular. The fact that the 'spaceman' only ran when Greenhaw turned his blue lights on made me wonder if it was only at that point it became clear that the approaching car belonged to the police.

Of course we inevitably have the usual little pseudo High Strangeness coda to all this in that Greenhaw said the photos were stolen in a break in 10 years later by persons unknown, along with his gun and service revolver - the only items he retained that he'd had in the car on that night.

Last edited:
I do agree with the point made by @EnolaGaia earlier in the thread that there is quite transparently some sort of local soap opera going on behind the scenes.

I've seen a few sneers around the 'rural Alabama' angle but, coming from a rural area of the UK myself, these sort of (from the outside) uniquely vindictive feuds over a property dispute, romantic encounter or a job that someone else was 'supposed' to get are pretty much universal, and can rumble on for years. This could certainly explain the 'misfortune' suffered by Greenhaw afterwards!

The puzzling bit in all of it is, as someone else mentioned, that this kind of prank on a gun carrying individual seems like a sure-fire way to get shot, which again makes me wonder if Greenhaw was really supposed to be the witness.

I read somewhere that Greenshaw allowed mufon to examine the negatives & mufon found them legit, free of tampering. They also found what appeared to be ufo like objects on the negatives that don't show up in the pics ?
According to the story in the Original Post the camera was a Polaroid, so there wouldn't be any negatives, although the original polaroid snaps might have shown a bit more detail.

Back