• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Grossology

But, interesting for the kids!!!!

Isn't "being interesting", should be what education should be about?

Of course, it's easy to be gross in biology - biology is, well, GROSS!

But my interest is astronomy, and I'm finding it difficult to find ways to make that very gross at all. Although the other year I did give a talk where I referred to the theory that bacteria could multiply in (and be transported by) comets: now comets suffer 'out-gassing' when they approach the sun, which used to be considered a purely thermal effect, but if bacteria are doing their thing inside then (as I put it) "these comets are flatulent!"

But if so the grossness is biological, not purely astronomical. Only if the whole universe is alive can we raise grossness to an even higher level!

Just seen this one, rynner.

Surely the problem is solved if you give some of the legends behind the constellations. "Is that a sword your wearing, Orion or are the girls going to be really glad to see you?"

mr chopper said:
Yuk!! reminds me of a saying....

'Only in america!'
You'd have loved my old biology teacher. He once did an experiment using ADH and a couple of litres of water and ended up peeing himself on the bus on the way home.

I think it's good if it stimulates the kids' interest. And it answers the sort of questions they'd want to ask anyway.

Carole

In my brief teaching career I had to take one form for Biology (despite the fact that I was a physics teacher who had never done even O-level biology!)

This particular course covered the 'Facts of Life' in the second term, so you can imagine the fun!

Please Sir, are you married?
- No
Please Sir, have you ever 'done it'?
- Mind your own business!

Kids have an unerring instict for the "When did you stop beating your wife?" type question! Luckily for me this was the best form in that year group, and the real Biology teacher took the other two forms - I dread to think what questions they'd have come up with!

When I was at school the headmaster gave us sex-education lessons. Most of the best questions came from boys who already knew the answers, but I was young and innocent at the time, so it was all a bit of an eye-opener for me! The usual shock at learning what your parents did to produce you! Unimaginable!

For our sex education (mid 60s, girls only grammar school) we were told about the sexual behaviour of the rabbit and told that humans were the same . . .

:confused:

Carole

In my Catholic Grammar School, sex education was approached by
a double-pronged method in the third year. We were to get the
mechanics of the sperm and eggs stuff from the Biology department,

The moral and ethical stuff was to be handled as an aspect of Religion.

As it happened, our religion teacher in the crucial year was a baby-faced
man of fifty and a confirmed bachelor - as they say. He was also afflicted
with a severe speech impediment which got worse as he got stressed.

We were actually very well informed in advance that he had to utter the
magic words, "The penis of the male enters the vagina of the female".

It was also common knowledge that he had never managed to get these
words out. True to form, on the day in question, this most crucial piece
of information came out as "The p-p-p-p of the male enters the v-v-v-v of
the female".

Ever since then, I feel I have achieved coitus whenever I manage to get
my pencil into a lady's vase. :eek:

Sex education in my school was virtualy non-existant, except that you'r "carnal organ" might fall off, if you indulged.

BUT, the headmaster, ran off with the school secretary, who had the same name as my Mum, who was the local librarian, everyone thought it was my Mum who had done the runner & I got the poor lad, wink, wink, spiel, from everyone who was illiterate & didn't know she was still stamping books & fining the overdue's!!!!

Finally, got a long lecture from the aforementioned parent & told to read certain books on the back shelves, for the fine detail.....

James Whitehead said:
In my Catholic Grammar School, sex education was approached by
a double-pronged method in the third year.

On second toughts, I really can't be bothered ;)

dead flag said:
On second toughts, I really can't be bothered ;)
You are, of course refering to the demon's pitchfork that would be employd on the sinners :p

Thank God (for wont of a better phrase) for state-run schools and athiestic teachers! Most of my class had already figured it all out (so we thought) by the time we were taught it, obviously, but at least the school made the effort.

I remember my Dad sitting down with me at the age of 12 to tell me the facts of life. I remember him telling me what his Dad had told him in about 1955 - "Some blokes are different from us - kick 'em in the shins!"
Suffice to say that I was laughing so much that I didn't hear a thing he was saying, which probably explains my failed relationships since then :)

Inverurie Jones said:
You'd have loved my old biology teacher. He once did an experiment using ADH and a couple of litres of water and ended up peeing himself on the bus on the way home.

Sorry Invururie ... biology's not my strong point - What is ADH ? and why did it make the chap pee himself ?? this sounds interesting ...

carole said:
For our sex education (mid 60s, girls only grammar school) we were told about the sexual behaviour of the rabbit and told that humans were the same . . .

Carole

As my baby is due any day now (I'm absolutely huge I can tell you !!) reproduction has been at the forefront of my mind you might say, and Carole's post just reminded me of a conversation I had with my brother in law recently .....

He told me that he is thinking of going to Sri Lanka for a holiday as soon as his current block of work is finished (he surveys car parks and bridges etc for structural faults), and I said it might not be a good idea to go just yet as he may miss the arrival of his new niece or nephew - to which he replied 'so when is it due to arrive then ?' I said that the due date is the 1st of March, but that baby could come anytime from the 7th of Feb, so that really all we have is a window of a few weeks - not a definate date !!

To which he replied in his best patronising elder brother voice (he excells at this !)

'Well, why don't you and Kaushi (my other half) just get yourselves organised, and as soon as you've got a better idea about when you're going to have the baby, give me a ring '

..and he was serious !!! I couldn't really reply with anything except great guffaws of laughter... I was so tempted to say 'you do know that it's not arriving by Stork don't you ?!?' but I didn't...

I do worry about him sometimes though, as he is 40, and according to my other half has never had a girlfriend / boyfriend or anything else for that matter... and is not even sure if he took his O-level biology -so perhaps he's never had an opportunity to learn about the 'Birds and Bees' ???

Sounds a bit like my f*** wit brother HAARP. Who anounced that he would be visiting, with his brood & any hanger on he could dredge up, on an "inconvenient day". And when told "no way!!!!!" anounced that: "He never took no for an answer!!!!"

He finally did, but hardly speaks to us now!!!

Which is no hardship:D :D :D

Back