• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
The absolute unthinkable in today’s society is that older people could possibly think about sex.

Studies show older people are still high spirited and enthusiastic about sexual activity, and usually have the approval from their doctors.

Sex for me and my wife is a little different today than when we married at 21, but if I die, I am going out with a smile on my face as a happy person.

Last edited by a moderator:
He should have hung on till he was 100!

After more than seven decades in radio, a 96-year-old Hong Kong DJ has bid farewell to his listeners with Time to Say Goodbye, sung by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli.

Ray Cordeiro said in both English and Cantonese: “Well, that’s it. Thank you very much for tuning in, goodbye, thank you for coming,” before signing off ahead of the 1am news.

It marked the end of a radio career that began 72 years ago, including a run of more than 50 years for his show All The Way With Ray, which started on public broadcaster RTHK in 1970.

Cordeiro rubbed shoulders with the likes of Tony Bennett, The Beatles and Cliff Richard, and nurtured rising Hong Kong pop stars such as Sam Hui.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40290086.html

Twin drug dealers who ran a firearms and cocaine network were jailed.
The police are now driving a van around that shows how the men will look when they are released.

One will resemble Michael Rosen! :chuckle:

Van tours Warrington showing digitally-aged images of banged up Cheshire drug dealers

Cheshire police have gone to unique lengths to deter potential drug dealers in one Cheshire town.

The force has sent a van touring the streets of Warrington showing digitally-aged photographs of criminal drug gang twins, who have been locked up for a combined 50 years.

It is hoped that showing the pictures of the gang bosses a lot older will hammer home the risks that this sort of behaviour can lead to long jail sentences.

The operation to catch them was dogged and meticulous. There will surely be a book about it!

Strewth!

Australia’s oldest-ever man has said eating chicken brains has helped him live more than 111 years.

Retired cattle rancher Dexter Kruger has marked 124 days since he turned 111 – a day older than First World War veteran Jack Lockett was when he died in 2002. Mr Kruger told the Australian Broadcasting Corp in an interview at his nursing home in the rural Queensland state town of Roma that a weekly poultry delicacy had contributed to his longevity.

Mr Kruger describes savouring the delicacy – ‘just one bite’ (Australian Broadcasting Corporation via AP)

“Chicken brains. You know, chickens have a head. And in there, there’s a brain. And they are delicious little things,” Mr Kruger said. “There’s only one little bite.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40291061.html

On a wing and a prayer. Vid at link.

Birmingham wing-walking pals support John Taylor HospiceClose

Three men who became friends after the deaths of their wives have said thank you to a hospice for the care their partners received - by taking part in a wing-walking challenge. Jeff Attwood, 86, Roger Perks, 77, and 76-year-old Ken Trueman raised more than £3,500 for John Taylor Hospice in Birmingham by taking to the skies. The pensioners struck up a friendship at a social club set up by the hospice to support bereaved family members.

The wing-walk took place at RFC Rendcomb Airfield, near Cirencester in Gloucestershire.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-57220766

Strewth!

Australia’s oldest-ever man has said eating chicken brains has helped him live more than 111 years.

Retired cattle rancher Dexter Kruger has marked 124 days since he turned 111 – a day older than First World War veteran Jack Lockett was when he died in 2002. Mr Kruger told the Australian Broadcasting Corp in an interview at his nursing home in the rural Queensland state town of Roma that a weekly poultry delicacy had contributed to his longevity.

Mr Kruger describes savouring the delicacy – ‘just one bite’ (Australian Broadcasting Corporation via AP)

“Chicken brains. You know, chickens have a head. And in there, there’s a brain. And they are delicious little things,” Mr Kruger said. “There’s only one little bite.”

If I have to eat chicken brains to live to be 111, then I'll go at 99, brainless thank you.

Zombies don't die, because they're undead. Their favourite food is brains.
71-xg1aIS%2BL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Strewth!

My guess is that he's just really really tired of that question.

I decided that growing older is in the luck of your genes, and I am not talking about your Levi Blue Jeans that people wear.

Your families history will tell what you are in for when it comes to your health.

For me I had no chance since diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol ran through both side of my family.

By trying to live a conservative life and taking medicine, I am still around.

One of my brothers was a heavy smoker and drinker and died younger than he should have.

I decided that growing older is in the luck of your genes, and I am not talking about your Levi Blue Jeans that people wear.

Your families history will tell what you are in for when it comes to your health.

For me I had no chance since diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol ran through both side of my family.

By trying to live a conservative life and taking medicine, I am still around.

One of my brothers was a heavy smoker and drinker and died younger than he should have.

Pretty sure it is genetic. The average life span on both sides of my family is 82 years. There are exceptions to every rule of course, but I figure with my health, I will be lucky to last that long.

The sad part is the U.S. CDC claims that the covid has dropped life expectancy about a year for both men and women.

In the U.S, for men 75-76 and women 77-78.

You guys in the U.K. and Canada do better at age 81.

It must be all the time spent in British pubs ?

My guess is that he's just really really tired of that question.
I'm sure you're right, it must be a really accommodating Nursing home to supply poultry brains once a week.
I thought the "secret" to longevity was just to keep breathing. And if I ever got to 110 (which I won't), I'd swear by hard women and soft drugs, gluten supplements, meths, Craven A and raw kitten patties if ever asked.

I'm sure you're right, it must be a really accommodating Nursing home to supply poultry brains once a week.
I thought the "secret" to longevity was just to keep breathing. And if I ever got to 110 (which I won't), I'd swear by hard women and soft drugs, gluten supplements, meths, Craven A and raw kitten patties if ever asked.

He's a bloody Queenslander - they're all barmy up there...it's the sun...and their beer(whose name they can't spell so they call it
4x...I kid you not)...

1622253125702.png

There must be a few craftsman-made beers in Oz, surely?
The stuff we get sent here in Blighty can't be representative of Australian beers.
I mean, Australian wines are generally pretty good - why not beers as well?

I don't drink beer or lager but remember when Fosters and XXXX were being marketed in the UK (between 'Barry McKenzie' and 'Crocodile Dundee'), conventional wisdom was that the Aussies liked their beer so cold that it didn't register on the taste-buds. They wanted it with a good head (fizzy) so CO2 was pumped into it and because they drank so much of it, the alcoholic content was on par with wine gums.
Hence the stories of Aussies coming into English pubs, trying 'Todgerwart's Faintly Peculiar' or a pint of 'Wifebeater' and complaining it was warm, flat, cloudy with a horrible taste - before slumping to the floor whilst attempting to instigate a fight.

There must be a few craftsman-made beers in Oz, surely?
The stuff we get sent here in Blighty can't be representative of Australian beers.
I mean, Australian wines are generally pretty good - why not beers as well?
There's shirtloads of good craftbeers made here Mytho, but they nearly all have a good head (CO2), and are best served cold. Expensive but...

Come winter, Port is a better option.

Dance away your heartaches.

At 106, Eileen Kramer seems more productive than ever.

She writes a story a day from her Sydney aged-care facility, publishes books and has entered Australia's most prestigious painting competition.
After decades living abroad, Ms Kramer returned to her home city of Sydney aged 99. Since then, she's collaborated with artists to create several videos that showcase her primary talent and lifelong passion: dancing.

Ms Kramer still dances - graceful, dramatic movements mostly using the top half of her body. In more recent years, she has also choreographed.

"Since returning to Sydney I've been so busy - I've performed three big dance pieces at NIDA [the National Institute for Dramatic Art] and independent theatres. I've participated in two big dance festivals in Adelaide and Brisbane, I've been in a film, given many smaller performances, written three books, and today I'm having a free day talking to you!" she says from her home.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57250509?piano-modal

There's shirtloads of good craftbeers made here Mytho, but they nearly all have a good head (CO2), and are best served cold. Expensive but...

Come winter, Port is a better option.
Port is my favourite tipple, truth be told.
I do prefer beer to be pretty cold even though I am a Brit. Maybe I have an inner Aussie?

I do prefer beer to be pretty cold even though I am a Brit. Maybe I have an inner Aussie?
*ahem* "G'day Mythos, chuck another chicken brain on the bar-B and crack open a tube o' Tooheys. I'll get you a glass and a lemon slice - and a straw for your sheila".

Back