• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Guilty Fortean Pleasures

BaronHardacre

Justified & Ancient
Having just had a day of watching some questionable films that have a Fortean bent, which I happen to love, I was just wondering what everybody else's guilty Fortean pleasures are. If another, similar thread exists, feel free to merge.
The films in question were:
Biggles:Adventures In Time - Time travel, sonic weapons, Peter Cushing's last screen performance, and a really bad 80's soundtrack. What more could you ask for? Okay, a coherent story line would be nice, but you can't have everything.

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins - Okay the books (The Destroyer series), may be better, but it's a film packed with good character actors Fred Ward, Wilford Brimley, and the fantastic Joel Grey. It's just a shame that they forgot to do much character development, and didn't do away with the annoying female love interest

and finally...

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai - Enough said...

So what are your bad but good Fortean pleasures?

Umm... I don't usually admit to reading these but bored out of my mind one day as a kid, I picked up one of my mother's Barbara Michaels books which I had usually avoided like the plague as I thought it would be another schmaltzy romance book as the author writes under various pen names including Elizabeth Peters.

It was Ammie, Come Home and it scared the daylights out of me. I've now got it on my shelf along with a few others which I love to read on say a rainy afternoon, curled up on the sofa. My mam occasionally talks about them, wondering where the books had gone to- she thinks my dad gave them to Oxfam years ago, I keep silent on the matter else she'd demand them back.

Ooo, thanks for the heads up--I'd spotted one or two of her books and dismissed them because they looked, well, like oldschool chick lit. I shall give her another shot. :)

Back