• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Guinness: Its Nutritional / Medicinal Value

doctors would 'suggest' patients smoked cigarettes to reduce stress levels but, admittedly, i myself have no proof whatsoever they were actually prescribed...

Modest amounts of beer are recommended for nursing mothers. Apparently it helps with milk production.

Doctors also used to prescribe smoking for, would you believe it, asthma.
According to my physiology lecturer anyway. the thinking was that during an attack the nicotine (which is a potent vasoactive compund) would cause the bronchioles to dilate and release the feeling of constriction that makes an asthma attack so frightening.

Minor Drag said:
Modest amounts of beer are recommended for nursing mothers. Apparently it helps with milk production.
So it makes their breasts bigger? Funny that - it seems to work for blokes too.

Minor Drag said:
Also, a small amount of alcohol goes through to the milk, helping baby get a little bit more sleep :)

[edit]

rofl, CB :D

My mother and my mother-in-law who were both prone to anaemia were both advised by their doctors to drink half to a pint of stout daily. In my mother's case the advice was given after she'd given birth and needed building up a bit.

Also, an ex-employer was advised by the doc to drink a mixture of Guinness and port wine, again because of the iron content.;)

I dunno about pregnant women or anemics, but if you mix Guinness into horse's feed it puts a nice shine on their coat ...

I personally cannot stand the stuff :cross eye

on a related note, why is that (apparently) beer makes your hair look good if you wash it in it?

barndad said:
Doctors also used to prescribe smoking for, would you believe it, asthma.
According to my physiology lecturer anyway. the thinking was that during an attack the nicotine (which is a potent vasoactive compund) would cause the bronchioles to dilate and release the feeling of constriction that makes an asthma attack so frightening.
I have asthma and I smoke and I can vouch for the fact that this works. Of course it may just be that the nicotine reduces my panic levels.:rolleyes:

just flown back from dublin where i took time out to visit the new and improved guiness factory/museum.
contrary to popular belief there is no difference between guiness made in ireland and guiness made abroad, and irish guiness is not made with water from the river liffey.
it was suggested though that guiness tastes "fresher" in ireland because it is sold in high volumes and does not sit in the pipes for as long as it might elsewhere.

(and pigs blood was never part of the recipe!!)

My mother used to give me guiness as a tonic. I hated it so she made it into shandy which was much more acceptable.

many of the medical proffesion I meet these days say a `little` alcohol wont hurt you, indeed may be benificial...

totally agree. you get a free pint at the top of the tower, and that was the best pint i have ever tasted.

I was in Cork the weekend before last, and I can say with a great deal of conviction that the Guinness over there -does- taste a lot better than we get over here, as does the Murphys. I'll go with Nikoteen's theory that it doesn't sit in the pipes as longer.. AND, they wait for ages before finishing filling the pint, which lets it settle in a much more satisfactory manner :p

Yep, Guinness in Ireland is way better than elsewhere - less acrid or something. Although - strangely - Guinness in Toronto tastes much nicer than Guinness in England.

I was once "reliably" informed by the Old Dad that in the Guiness brewery, the vats are left open topped, and therefore it is full of birdshit from the pigeons that roost in the rafters. Consequently he won't touch the stuff.

Surprisingly, one of the best pints of Guiness I have ever had was in Las Vegas.

It was in the Irish pub in New York, New York. The Las Vegas interpretation of the American Interpretation of the English Interpretation of an Irish Theme Pub. A very strange experience indeed.

The host of the entertainment talking with an Irish accent, then talking with a strong Texan accent to the bar staff. The 'Irish' dancers from southern California, dancing on the tables.

Still a good evening had by all.

That's until my mate was robbed on the way back to our hotel after skinfulls of Guiness.

Happy Memories... :D

In Antigua, I offered drank bottled Export Guinness.

In one locally run bar, the barman told me,
"Hey man, you drink too much of that, you gonna grow dreadlocks!"

[adv]For a well-served pint of Guinness, complete with shamrock in the head, try the Seven Stars, Penryn.[/adv] :D

Does anyone know if Nigerian export Guinness is readily available in Britain?

rynner said:
[adv]For a well-served pint of Guinness, complete with shamrock in the head, try the Seven Stars, Penryn.[/adv] :D

At one of the London pagan moots the barstaff draw pentagrams in the guinness for the moot-goers.

My grandparents used to drink Guinness for medicinal purposes when they were ill- they even made me drink bottles of the stuff when i was a kid (probably even a baby
knowing my granddad).

rynner said:
Been there, seen that, drunk the beer.

When I was a barman in Co. Kilburn London, I was always sceptical of the claims that Irish Guinness tasted better. So I tried an experiment on the way to Kerry for a weekend. Just before we left I had a pint of Guiness in my (irish-owned) local and two hours later did the same in a pub in Co. Kerry. Much to my amazement, both pints were equally horrible.

gerardwilkie said:
My grandparents used to drink Guinness for medicinal purposes when they were ill- they even made me drink bottles of the stuff when i was a kid (probably even a baby
knowing my granddad).

My grand parents did the same...both alcoholics now... :lol:

Back