• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gustave, The Monster Man-Eater

On the hunt for Poltol at 30 foot croc in Agusan Marsh. Maybe this could be the CFZ expedition 2019?
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5941660/30ft-man-eating-crocodile-hunt-phillipines/
I read the article and am a bit skeptical about a 30'er. Often when seen in the field people tend to exaggerate the size of large-dangerous animals. Similar stories are heard concerning pythons and anacondas. I've seen bears that appeared to be > 500 lps, but when seeing the beast up close who really knows? I remember way back a supposed 30'er was seen in Borneo. I've seen reports of crocs well over20' and photos that seemingly support this.

I'd love to put it to the test in the field. Romulous Whitaker of the Madras Crocodile bank had a laser device that measured lengths. I'd like to get hold of such a device. The ones i found on line just measured the distance between the device and the target, not the target's length. A 28 footer was shot in North Australia in 1957. Another giant is supposed to lurk in a tributary of the Fly River in New Guinea where local tribes venerate it. Another huge one has been seen and filed in North East India.

I'd love to put it to the test in the field. Romulous Whitaker of the Madras Crocodile bank had a laser device that measured lengths. I'd like to get hold of such a device. The ones i found on line just measured the distance between the device and the target, not the target's length. ...

Many (particularly up-scale) handheld laser distance measurement tools have built-in calculation functions that allow you to compute indirect measurements (e.g., length, volume, height) based on multiple points you've 'shot'(?) and some digital trigonometry.

I would imagine you would be obliged to 'shoot' at least 2 points from the same position and then click a button to make the device get Pythagorean on the resulting data.

I don't know that there's a universal protocol for such features, so you'd probably have to evaluate the possibilities on a device-by-device basis.

Many (particularly up-scale) handheld laser distance measurement tools have built-in calculation functions that allow you to compute indirect measurements (e.g., length, volume, height) based on multiple points you've 'shot'(?) and some digital trigonometry.

I would imagine you would be obliged to 'shoot' at least 2 points from the same position and then click a button to make the device get Pythagorean on the resulting data.

I don't know that there's a universal protocol for such features, so you'd probably have to evaluate the possibilities on a device-by-device basis.
I'll have to look into this.

An interesting article about giant crocodiles, including the notorious Nile Crocodile "Gustave".
https://ourplnt.com/worlds-5-largest-crocodiles-ever-recorded/
Gustave is probobly 7 meters rather than 6. I've seen film of him next to an adult hippo. Brutus may have lost his leg in a fight with another very big croc. If it was a bull shark then it must have happened when he was quite small. Salties eat bull sharks. Kris, the 28 foot 4 inch croc was measured by Ron Powloski a croc expert who had measured thousands of crocs. I think the modern sceptisism about it is simply jealousy and the fact that Ron was not in their little scientific clique. No amount of letters after your name can replace hands on experience in the field. There is also a massive croc along the Sepik River in New Guinea. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b076nvjx
The locals vernerate it as a water spirit. It could be that it is driving off the smaller crocs from the area.

The point is that Gustave and the other croc's in the article are gigantic. Gustave was never accurately measures so who really knows? Does it really matter if Gustave was (6 or 7) meters? Either way it's a giant. The average oversized bull Nile Crocodile is around 4.3 m. The average oversized bull salty is around 4.7 m These are giant animals likely weighing in at 0.45 Kg or more and are not the norm.
BTW the article eludes to crocs that may be larger than Lolong "the present verifiable record holder".

Good ol' BBC describes this as a "giant crocodile". However, they give the length as 4.4 metres, which is only slightly over the average for a bull Nile crocodile as quoted by Jim, above.

Circumstances slightly unusual. I wonder what really happened.

Because this is a captive crocodile, the picture gives a very clear indication of scale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46901245

animation about Gustave.
Although the animation leaves a bit to be desired, the narration seems very accurate concerning one of the most dangerous croc's (or animals) to have ever lived.

Although the animation leaves a bit to be desired, the narration seems very accurate concerning one of the most dangerous croc's (or animals) to have ever lived.
Yes the animation is bad. Why are all the locals white for starters? Also Gustave would eat a human he killed for food. The ones uneaten were probably territorial attacks. Crocs of that size can kill and eat almost anything but they can also subsist on much smaller prey items.

Yes the animation is bad. Why are all the locals white for starters? Also Gustave would eat a human he killed for food. The ones uneaten were probably territorial attacks. Crocs of that size can kill and eat almost anything but they can also subsist on much smaller prey items.
Yes a bit goofy since I believe all the attacked - killed were colored (with an exception or 2).

Back