• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Harold The Sheep Escapes Dinner Plate Fate

sunsplash1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Sheep hides out in Mutton Cove, escapes dinner plate
What was once a Monty Python joke has become reality with a renegade sheep eluding live export now set to live happily ever after.

The Monty Python team once joked about the most dangerous of creatures - a clever sheep called Harold who escaped after realising his life was about standing around and then being eaten.

Now there is the story of the sheep who 10 weeks ago escaped while boarding a ship at Port Adelaide and hid out the aptly named Mutton Cove, eating rare plants and scaring birds.

He was captured yesterday by the RSPCA using two farm dogs that came from 300 kilometres away.

The escape has earned the sheep a long life.

Volunteer Aaron Machado, one of the recapture posse, says the sheep will not end up at an abattoir.

"[I will] get her looked at by the vet and have her shipped off to a nice couple of acres somewhere where she can keep the lawn down without causing any more grief," he said.

Last Update: Sunday, September 19, 2004. 10:00am (AEST)http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200409/s1202279.htm

Go sheep! (Live exports suck!)
Nice to have a reporter who knows MP!
:)

But, it doesn't answer the question:
"What are the economic implications of flying sheep?"

Wanders off "Baa"-ing in a French accent.

This is the start of the end of mankind! As soon as food source animals are given a reprieve for having the intelligence to elude the slaughter, natural selection will make a whole new breed of super-intelligent sheep. cows and pigs that can out-think humans.

One day, when we're wondering "When was the last time I had a bacon sandwich?" ... POW! Our society is enslaved by the Farm Animal Empire, we'll be forced to eat grass and we'll be doomed to mindless drudgery!

It'll all end in tears, mark my words...

Aaaaaaah....this lovely story reminds me of the plucky Tamworth Two - the pigs who escaped from an abbatoir in Malmesbury, Wilts (a town where I used to live) and went on the run. Story here.
However, I do find it odd that people feel so sorry for the escapee that they reprieve it, but then they carry on eating bacon sarnies or whatever. Don't the other pigs/sheep/cows deserve a reprieve? I have just had a delicious Sunday lunch of lentil dahl and rice with salad and fruit. A lot of the illness in society today comes from eating meat imho.

Big Bill Robinson

Ahh, let 'em evolve enough intelligence to escape.

Big Bill Robins said:
However, I do find it odd that people feel so sorry for the escapee that they reprieve it, but then they carry on eating bacon sarnies or whatever. Don't the other pigs/sheep/cows deserve a reprieve? I have just had a delicious Sunday lunch of lentil dahl and rice with salad and fruit. A lot of the illness in society today comes from eating meat imho.

Big Bill Robinson

But BBR, surely this reflects the widespread observation of the abilty of humans to draw distinctions (almost automatically, for good or for ill) between the general and the specific, the abstract and the individual. ie "One death is a tragedy, a million is a stastistic." Or the person who complains about "black people", but has a black co-worker they like and respect or even a friend and sees no contradiction because "s/he's not like the others." Not so surprising, really.

BTW, in my opinion, I'd agree with the last part if it was qualified a little. 'Too much meat, and especially the kind raised in factory farms.'

I'm not a vegetarian, though my dinner last night consisted of brown rice and stir-fried tofu. :)

I went to a vegetarian boarding school and I like vegetarian food ... but I like the taste of meat too. I've done my own killing and butchery (although not on a regular basis) so being squeamish isn't in it. We meat-eaters pay "concience money" to butchers, we call dead cows 'beef' , dead pig 'pork' and dead sheep 'mutton' or 'lamb' (chicken stays 'chicken' - go figure!). But, in the end, we eat meat.
While the argument about which diet is 'better' in a health context is open to debate, I can appreciate the ethical or emotional problems when eating meat.

Give an animal a name and all of a sudden someone would rather starve than eat the creature. It's all a matter of perspective.

Or we could go back to being like an australopithicines and hang round waiting for the jackals to wait for a hyena to wait for a lion to wait for that two legged guy to kill something.

Pretty silly really.

lopaka said:
But BBR, surely this reflects the widespread observation of the abilty of humans to draw distinctions (almost automatically, for good or for ill) between the general and the specific, the abstract and the individual. ie "One death is a tragedy, a million is a stastistic." Or the person who complains about "black people", but has a black co-worker they like and respect or even a friend and sees no contradiction because "s/he's not like the others." Not so surprising, really.

Yes, an excellent point, well put. I can only agree with you. It seems to be one of the fundamental irrationalities of the human race to behave in this way. :(

Bill.

anome said:
But, it doesn't answer the question:
"What are the economic implications of flying sheep?"

Wanders off "Baa"-ing in a French accent.

Wanton New Zealanders joining the mile high club?
(I've been trying really hard, but I can't imagine French accented Baa-ing)

You clearly need to watch the accompanying educational film about the matter.

Back