• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Harry Potter UL to keep an eye on

evilsprout

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
From the newsletter of Popbitch, the scurrilous gossip-mongering email list:

The new Harry Potter film contains a scene where Harry's owl has to fly around the interior of Hogwarts.

Unfortunately, the candle-lit castle was not the easiest place for an owl to navigate. Two owls flew into the candles and burned to death.

Each time this happened, the children were ushered out of the room while a replacement was found. Then they were brought back in, shown the owl and told "look, he's fine!"

An email was hastily sent out by Popbitch a couple of days later to let everyone know the story has no truth in it whatsoever. I'm wondering how far into folklore it passed in the meantime, however.

Yet another movie legend, along with the ghost in Three Men and a Baby and the Umpa-Lumpa who hanged himself in Willie Wonka . . .

Carole

well I'd hang myself if I had green hair and an orange face, Imagine the bullying umpalupas get at school :sad:

Rather like the David Dickinson sketch on "Dead Ringers"..."Was it because I was an annoying tit? Or was it just because I was orange? "

carole said:
Yet another movie legend, along with... the Umpa-Lumpa who hanged himself in Willie Wonka . . .

Eh? :confused:

I thought that particular UL was about a Munchkin who supposedly hanged himself on the set of The Wizard of Oz? Or is this another, different hanging midget UL??

yep, I've heard both before. seeams to be somthing about depressed movie midgits that makes good ul fodder, expect one's about time badits and willow to surface one day:rolleyes:

Lord_Flashheart said:
yep, I've heard both before. seeams to be somthing about depressed movie midgits that makes good ul fodder, expect one's about time badits and willow to surface one day:rolleyes:

there seems to be something about depressed mavie midgets full stop. :)

Snuff movie legends: 'and they kept the footage in!' Load of crap.

A bit like Harry Snoter then...

Willow? Willow from Buffy?

there probibly is already (it's a sick world out there.)

Not Willow from Buffy, Willow the crappy fantasy film. I had the 'pleasure' of watching it once.

taras said:
Not Willow from Buffy, Willow the crappy fantasy film. I had the 'pleasure' of watching it once.

I liked Willow. It's a rule of mine that if a movie has people of a small stature in it it's going to be great.

Still havn't seen 'Ankle Biters' but: 'Two feet tall, razor sharp fangs.'

:rofl:

Lord_Flashheart said:
Well, David Rappaport did kill himself. But it was several years after Time Bandits, while he was doing some work for Steven Bochco.

And where are the Star Wars ULs about Jahwahs or Ewoks?

going back to the original post. owls would have trouble flying through poorly lit rooms because its not like they are used to flying at night or anything!

Are these the same type of owls that we get here? You know; nocturnal ones? With big eyes that fly around in the dark all the time and only rarely collide with trees, houses etc.

My nephew met Warwick Davies from Return of the Jedi and Willow. He kept going on about getting his autograph and saying he wanted to meet the "little man" but then he got all shy when he got to the front of the queue. lol

anome said:
Well, David Rappaport did kill himself. But it was several years after Time Bandits, while he was doing some work for Steven Bochco.

If it was Cop Rock, I completely understand why...

What was wrong with Cop Rock?

I didn't think it was too bad as a premise, I just didn't think they'd be able to sustain it for a full season.

Anyway, David Rappaport had been doing Hooperman as an occasional guest star. Not sure what he was actually doing when he killed himself, but his work on Hooperman was still fresh when it happened.

On the matter of owls, and indoor flying. Candles are curious bits of terrain that owls are unlikely to encounter in their normal lives. Barn Owls (for example) are used to hunting in complete darkness, using a rather complicated hearing system to pinpoint their prey. How a candle would change their situation, I have no idea. (Would the light affect their flying pattern? Would the noise of the candle tell them to keep clear?) Of course, they probably aren't using barn owls, but that's just one example. (I chose it because they are used to flying about indoors.)

Still, I think it's a UL. I don't think they'd have been able to fool the actors involved, even if they were young children.

Agreed. It has be a UL.

Aside from the fact that there are RSPCA-type observers present during the making of any film scenes involving animals these days, I really can't see the owners of the Harry Potter owls (who hail from Nottingham, IIRC, and make loads of money from both the filming and the tourists who then come to see their birds) allowing more than one bird to burn to death... Owls don't grow on trees, y'know.

Spooky angel said:
My nephew met Warwick Davies from Return of the Jedi and Willow.
...and he was also in Harry Potter, which brings us back on track :)

It's not even a UL unfortunately. Popbitch have sent out a correction email saying that the story is untrue.

That's that then eh?

Okay,

1) David Rappapport had been doing a show called "The Wizard" where he was a wacky inventor who solved crimes, IIRC. I think it may have been just canceled when he killed himself.

2) On IMDB, there were two items I thought interestingly fortean in the trivia section of the movie. Anne Boleyn's portrtait was in a room, and they say she is "popularly believed to be a witch". I hadn't heard this one before, was this just a local superstition or what?

And a bit later on, it says (and I quote): "Nicholas Flamel, mentioned as the creator of the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone, was actually a real alchemist who was believed by some people to have produced the Philosopher's Stone and who has mysterious circumstances surrounding his "death". It is rumored that he might still be alive and, if so, he would be about the age given in the book and movie."

So, IS Flamel a well known alchemist?

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
1) David Rappapport had been doing a show called "The Wizard" where he was a wacky inventor who solved crimes, IIRC. I think it may have been just canceled when he killed himself.
That's right. I remember now. It came off the back of the guest run he did in Hooperman. Don't think this was a Bochco show, though. (Wasn't very good, either, from memory.)

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
Okay,

1) David Rappapport had been doing a show called "The Wizard" where he was a wacky inventor who solved crimes, IIRC.
That's what he was doing when I met him! A friend of my dad, a former producer of MASH, were giving us a tour of the FOX studios. "The Wizard" was being made at the time and we got to sit on the set and watch it. Later, while eating at the Comissary we saw David Rappapport and dad's friend introduced us... it was '86ish.

Actually, David Rappapport was several shooting days into
an episode of Star Trek: Next Gen when he committed suicide.

They had to reshoot the episode with a VERY inferior actor.
(The one where an alien kidnaps Data to make him
part of his art collection.)

FWIW
TVgeek

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
2) On IMDB, there were two items I thought interestingly fortean in the trivia section of the movie. Anne Boleyn's portrtait was in a room, and they say she is "popularly believed to be a witch". I hadn't heard this one before, was this just a local superstition or what?

she had 6 fingers on one hand. I think Henry VIII used that as part of his case for her execution :rolleyes: but i have no idea if it was popular belief

Just read this thread, saw how someone at the beginning said how it was revealed to be a joke, then I watched as people still discussed if it was real or not.
No wonder ULs are so prevalent. D'oh.

Lordie, Pinkle, you've been around long enough to know it's never
stopped us yet!

Meanwhile Flamel was indeed a well-known alchemist, though it is
widely held that his wealth was acquired by usury and the alchemical
explanation was a cover for that. :confused:

The fact that the candles floating around the Great Hall are CG probably shows the owl managed to avoid combustion;)

As I recall, Anne Boleyn had six fingers on each hand, and six toes on each foot. Consequently, she wore gloves to hide the deformity. Also, she was accused of using her witchy wiles to seduce a number of men, including her own brother.

Henry VIII, all things considered, was a twonk.

Back