• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Has Anyone Seen Jack Frost? (Meteorological Phenomenon)

Here is an explanation of Jack Frost from New Scientist.

http://www.newscientist.com/lastword/article.jsp?id=lw992

Question
On some cold mornings the frost on windows and cars makes patterns that look just like leaves, ferns and branches. How does this happen?

Bob Clarke , New Minas, Nova Scotia, Canada

Answer
Waking up to frosty bedroom windows is becoming a thing of the past thanks to the insulating properties of double glazing and cosy central heating. But if you are still stuck with single glazing, on winter mornings your view will be obscured by fern-like patterns of frost.

Panes of glass lose heat quickly on cold nights, cooling the water vapour molecules in the indoor air nearest the glass. The temperature of the water molecules in the air can fall below 0ý C without them actually freezing. But as soon as this supercooled water vapour touches the cold glass, it turns directly to ice without first becoming water.

Tiny scratches on the surface of the glass can collect enough molecules to form a seeding crystal from which intricate patterns then grow. Up close, the crystal surface is rough with lots of dangling chemical bonds. Water vapour molecules latch onto these rough surfaces and crystals can grow quickly. The structure of the elaborate branching depends on both the temperature and humidity of the air, as well as how smooth and clean the glass is. When the air is dry, the water molecules condense slowly out of the air and cluster together in stable hexagons. The six straight sides of these crystals are relatively smooth with very few dangling bonds, giving water vapour molecules little to hang onto.

Feather-like patterns are more likely to form on clean windows and when the air is heavy with water molecules. Under these conditions, lots of water vapour molecules bombard the seed crystal and there is no time for the stable hexagons to form. Instead, the molecules latch onto the dangling bonds that stick out of any bumps in the crystal, which means the bumps grow even faster. These bumps eventually grow into large branches, and in turn the bumps on the branches become lacy fronds (see New Scientist 23/30 December 2000, p 26)

Editor , UK

For what it's worth, we get those feathery frost patterns on the car windows on the very cold mornings here in Dixie Land. And skies full of contrails as well. So I'm not sure there's an event, let alone a connection. I'n voting for better hearing, better insulation, and more common and efficient central heat. Consider too that with the new vapor barriers developed in the last 15-20 years, houses are drier (or more humid, depending on whether you use a humdifier in the winter) than they used to be.

It suddenly occurred to me recently ... here in London, we've not had a damn good thunder and lightning storm for simply ages! Depressing drizzle - yes. Sudden downpour - yes. Ionised air and loud sound effects - not a peep (IIRC).

Glogal warming? Or the dastardly Black Ops guys 'n' gals cornering the market on horror movie weather?

Okay, it's not exactly related to frost patterns (natural or artificial) but it is weather related.

Stormkhan said:
It suddenly occurred to me recently ... here in London, we've not had a damn good thunder and lightning storm for simply ages! Depressing drizzle - yes. Sudden downpour - yes. Ionised air and loud sound effects - not a peep (IIRC).
We had the first one in ages yesterday - we used to get loads of them (quite high up, only a few miles inland, lots of lightning conductors here abouts), but it's been much the same with us of late: lots of drizzle, the occasional deluge, but very little light and noise.

Pity, cos I love thunderstorms :(.

Then again, we've had no appreciable snow here for over ten years either. The odd flurry, and lots of sleet, but it's actually settled into a short-lived coating about half a dozen times since the early 90s. When I was a kid you could bank on at least a couple of weeks' worth of snow covering per winter, but I fear those days are long gone (he said, having seen the Day After Tomorrow again the other week...)

stu neville said:
Then again, we've had no appreciable snow here for over ten years either.
I was scanning some colour slides just yesterday of a white Xmas in the southern counties in 1970 - I'd forgotten all about that!

Back