• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Co-op

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Did anyone else see a segment on GM:tv on thursday when the featured a Co-op in Penzance?

The security camera recorded a hand pushing some beer cans off of a shelf. Impressive since they were in the chiller cabinet and there was no hole in the back for someone to push through. It was also fixed flush to an outside wall!

I've got to admit, the tv presenters were showing it as a "filler" story but the interview with the shops manager was interesting. They even had a "local psychic" who "felt" the presence of "George" on the ground floor and "Mary" in the rooms above. George was supposedly very powerful but, as long as left alone, was harmless.

Thank the Gods Derek Acorah(sp?) wasn't there - he'd have become "possessed" then start to empty the shelves himself!

Thank the Gods Derek Acorah(sp?) wasn't there - he'd have become "possessed" then start to empty the shelves himself!
This exact thing happens to my son in the off-licence.......:rolleyes:

shudder...

It's been a long while since my last post, but i couldn't let this one go without at least a :eek!!!!:

as a matter of fact, had been avoiding this particular bit of the Board deliberatley to avoid coming across this sort of thing.

Seeing the title of the thread, it occurs to me that I may know the store, having worked in one or two, and lo and behold it's the very same (well, one of them, anyway...)
will do my very best not to think about it in too much detail, what with being home alone and recalling quite enough details of a rather old, dark and gloomy warehouse with a dodgy lift, but if i remember anything of staggering relevance, I'll let you all know
(actually, you may be able to hear me shriek with sheer terror, but that's just me being an optimist)

picture and story here (too much for me, been a long day, need sleep, mind you, I recognise the lady in the (top) picture from when I worked there, which is nice in itself) -

link

(long url tidied up - It doesn't appear to work anyway... Stu)

Why is it that whenever there is a story like this, they have to wheel in a “medium”??? Why do we have to have some menopausal fraud to walk vaguely around the aisles and go “ooh, I’m sensing a very strong presence just here.” This is sure to lend enormous credibility to the whole exercise. Whenever I see a ghost investigation, there is always one brought along, then they wonder why it’s not taken seriously. Why Why Why?

Angry
Tunbridge Wells

While I do have some misgivings at the number of "local psychics"/"local mediums" that crawl out of the woodwork on these news reports, there might be some "gifted" psychics that can at least give a clue to possible points to investigate.

The old "I get a feeling that ..." line really is overused, since it relies on trusting the speakers veracity.

Having met Ian Addicote mentioned in the news report, and knowing of his research methods and publications, I'm more impressed by his opinion. That he doesn't dismiss it entirely but highlights a technical irregularity shows he's willing to put any investigation on a reasonable, objective basis.

Apart from being known as a haunted Co-op, I can't see any motive for hoax.

Cui Bono?

Stormkhan said:
there might be some "gifted" psychics that can at least give a clue to possible points to investigate.
But how do we know a "gifted" psychic from a rent-a-fraud?

Ian runs the "ghost tours" around penzance, so he'll have to add this one on.:D
Posted the Cornishman report on a different thread earlier this week, but can't remember which thread:( ( old age!)

I went on one of his tours ...
highly entertaining and informative!

Oh, and the problem of identifying a genuine psychic from a fraud has been without solution for decades. Personal experience, I suppose, but even that's open to error!

I suppose you could pick the one that doesn't have a phony-sounding rhetoric!
;)

Sorry for butting in but this looked interesting.

I think quite often the rel mediums are the ones who don't need a ton of occult jewelry and black lacy shawls to do their bit... though that could just be my personally jaundiced view.

Is there any footage of this on the web?? I really don't like these 'reality' ghost scenes caught on cctv, there's something extra creepy about them, of course it doesn't stop me looking......

My own co-op is quite creepy but that's down to the odd staff who work there.

Palthera said:
I think quite often the rel mediums are the ones who don't need a ton of occult jewelry and black lacy shawls to do their bit... though that could just be my personally jaundiced view.

Very true -- there is a local psychic here, who does
readings from a small office in the front of her house.
Her neighbors have no idea what she does, and she
is very adamant about avoiding "cosmic foo-foo."

She is what we call a "soccer-mom"... who just
happens to have an unusual profession.

TVgeek

Originally posted by Blueswidow

My own co-op is quite creepy but that's down to the odd staff who work there.

Know what you mean! Not the Dunmow one is it?

Lee

I've been in the Dunmow one and I think you're right, my branch is nothing compared to that one!

Blueswidow said:
I've been in the Dunmow one and I think you're right, my branch is nothing compared to that one!

It is better now since they refurbished it- Seem to have refurbished some of the staff too!

Tried searching the web for Haunted Co-op and came up with nothing. Shame- I'd love to see that clip. Tried searching for Haunted Supermarket and came up with "Dale Winton" and "Supermarket sweep"!!!!!

:D

Lee

If you want a creepy supermarket, try the one in Niton on the Isle of Wight. My missus comes from the Island and we both love it to bits ... but Niton makes the village in the League of Gentlemen look like a cosmopolitan tourist resort!
It has a good pub `though. :)

Back to the thread - sort of -

I think seeing or experiencing the paranormal in a mundane place like a supermarket or a modern office is more of a shock to the nerves because you don't expect it! Creepy, old house? Sure. Cold, mysterious ruins? No problem. But a ghost? In a Co-op? Sound more like a joke waiting for a punch line.

The problem is, we forget how many buildings have been built on the site of other buildings, places where use has changed - a house once used as an orphanage being used as offices, for example - and possible hauntings in a modern building may indicate the "area fixed" type of ghosts, rather than the "building imprinted" sort.

They should bring out an I-Spy Book of Ghosts ... or an Observers Book of Ghosts even!
:rofl:

I saw this on GMTV!!

It was weird, I just turned it on as they were starting talking about it, but they only showed the footage, then moved onto something else as if it was quite routine...

Anyway, Eamonn Holmes (gawd bless 'im) suggested it was someone on the other side of the shelf pushing the tins out, which seemed quite sensible.

I’m wondering if it could have been rigged up with some fishing wire from the right hand side of the camera. The second of footage could have been removed as maybe it just didn’t look very realistic (?!). It does look like someone is pulling the cans off the shelf (as they are horizontal) other than being pushed from behind.

They should bring out an I-Spy Book of Ghosts ... or an Observers Book of Ghosts even!
:rofl:

Scarily enough, I have a copy of the I-Spy Book of Ghosts which I found in a secondhand bookshop in Oxford. Very strange indeed.
J

jpburnham said:
Scarily enough, I have a copy of the I-Spy Book of Ghosts which I found in a secondhand bookshop in Oxford. Very strange indeed.
J
Having been (as a kid) a collector/member of I-Spy books, I'd love a copy of this `un!
:D

Oh, and MXhaunted - I agree it could've been done (nylon fishing line - about 10 guage should do it) but you ask yourself why? In my original post, Cui Bono?

After all, the local shop gets a reputation as being haunted, the manager gets on local tv for ten minutes, they're lucky and get onto national tv. Whoopie!

They've not actually gained anything! Why go through the effort of faking a couple of Special Brews being thrown off of the shelf for nothing? Trust me, the locals talk about it for a bit and then it all gets forgotten.

It's all so unlikely, it's most likely to be genuine!

Stormkhan said:
ask yourself why? In my original post, Cui Bono?
How about bored late-night workers decide to play a trick on whoever is monitoring the CCTV that night. Trick works a treat, and footage actually looks quite genuine. Someone suggests they send it to the local media to see what happens. Voila.
Thoughts?

Agreed that some people will do "odd" things bored ... we've all been there.
But to fake this would take more effort than just reading a book and "deciding" to have a giggle!

I don't say this is "positive proof" of poltergeist activity - I just say that it is worth taking seriously and analysing the evidence!

Just an off-the-top-of-the-head hypothesis - I haven't seen the footage, and the still from the above link is not at all clear to me so I've no idea how advanced a hoax would have to be.

The whole Co-Op thing has reminded me that the factory where my Dad used to work was supposedly haunted - it was owned by a subsidiary of the Co-Op and dated from the 1930s. Reaching back into my childhood memory, it was supposedly a woman who one of the workers saw very early one morning before anyone else had arrived. Which beggars an OT question - what is the maximum number of people that have simultaneously witnessed a ghost? Why didn't she materialise at 10am when everyone would have been there for work? Why do they only appear to usually one or maybe two people?

One of my relatives is a funeral director with the local Co-Op. They have a flat above the 'shop'.

It's a disconcerting place. Bodies lying about sometimes, in various stages of 'embalming'...
A 'sensitive' friend reckoned there was a young lad wandering about there for a while (a ghost) whilst he found his bearings.
There're always a few suicides/murders/tragic deaths 'in' awaiting burial/cremation.
I always found the place too spooky to hang about in...

As we're on the subject of Haunted Co-Ops:
The village I used to live in had a Co-Op and attatched to the shop were a row of terraced houses dating from around the same time as the shop was built cica 1910 onwards. These were 'tied' houses owned by the Co-Op and as my dad worked as a Manager in another town he paid a minimal rent and my family lived there for at least 30 odd years. Now these houses had never been modernised-save for water and electricity, we still had an outside toilet and the bath in the kitchen until we left there in 1982. I remember being scared of that house, but I can't remember any distinct reasons. I do remember one instance of sitting at the bottom of the stairs screaming my head off at something spooking me and my Dad running through trying to calm me down. Although looking back saying "Shush it's only Fred the Friendly Ghost" may not have been a good idea to say to a young kid.:rolleyes:

As the village is still small enough for gossip to spread like wildfire, I was slightly freaked to find out that about 5 years ago the house that was next door to ours (and also now ex-Co-Op) had been apparently 'Exorcised' by the village vicar, as the young couple who had moved in there were having problems with something in their house. My Mam gleefully, almost rubbing hands together gave her opinion on the spirit and said "Oh that's Old Mrs Keys" this was an elderly lady who had passed away before I was born, who's hubby had worked for the Co-Op. She had a bit of a rep as a 'wise woman' and my Mam had been good friends with her. Whilst we were on the subject of ghosts, I asked her "Why tell a small child its Fred the Friendly Ghost making noises in the night instead of just saying oh its just the house settling" to which both she and my Dad replied almost simultaneously, " Well we weren't going to lie to you, we only told the truth". Parents-Go figure!:hmph:

Originally posted to another thread.

I live quite near an Asda that has a pregnancy assisting checkout. The staff call it the "Baby Seat" and it is till 13.
Fortean TV reported Asda in Llandudno and Widnes as having baby seats. The Widnes asda also has a haunted EPOS room and a haunted bakery (again reported by Fortean TV)

Does Wal-Mart in the States have a similar phenomenon?

Also the Arndale centre in Manchester had a spate of stabbings/muggings in one of the toilets some years ago so I think it is quite wise to be wary of public toilets.

Also the Arndale centre in Manchester had a spate of stabbings/muggings in one of the toilets some years ago so I think it is quite wise to be wary of public toilets.

Was that before or after the IRA blew it up?

My apologies if anyone has already said but there's a similar thread to this from way back here.

Coincidentally, I've got a feeling that the haunted supermarket in Glossop that I mentioned in that thread was a Co-op.

My friend's Mum and her co-workers are convinced ther is a ghost a ghost in their co-op (Newton Ferrars, Devon)Apparently it had been seen by people who hadn't even been told that there was a ghost.

David Raven said:
One of my relatives is a funeral director with the local Co-Op. They have a flat above the 'shop'.

No way you'd get me staying a night in that place!!!

I remember when I first moved to Darlington that there was a 'pub' on the corner ofthe crossroads past Blacketts pub. I always wondered why we never went there until one day I norticed thatblacked out windows and that it was the Funeral Directors! LOL!

I wish I had seen that footage on GMTV. At first I was thinking wow this looks unexplainable but the sceptical malaise that has been hanging over me for a while leans towards crafty co-worker and a bit of wire or something.

Back