• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Schools?

Snook25

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Back in the good old days when i was young, i attended a spooky old school in an old manor house. Various stories were circulated around the school, as it was where a lady called Alice Lisle lived when she was beheaded by Judge Jeffories. Of course all the borders claimed to have seem things in their dorms at night, and i heard footsteps in an attic once, but is this just childhood fantasy and gossip or is there another explanation?...

Has anyone else attended a spooky school, or have any good stories you told when you were but a twinkle in the bogey man's eye? :p

Our school (Rowlinson Comprehensive, Sheffield - any old pupils here?) had a legendary 'boy in old fashioned clothing' who would sometimes be glimpsed on the playing fields, which I always thought was a very nice MR James touch. Legend never specified exactly how old fashioned, so he could presumably have been from any time period from the Iron Age on up. Or maybe he just had last year's sports bag or something.

There were a few odd occurences in my day, mainly of a very mild polt type. So mild in fact that it could just have been heavy traffic on the roads. The building was only about thirty years old at the time...

I was often woken up by a flying board-duster, thrown
with intent by an evil Christian Brother.

I think they are all in Hell now. :(

The Green Hand

Between 1979 and 1983 I went to Salisbury Road Primary School, in what was then the London Borough of Brent. The school, noted in that the late Raving Lord Sutch (of The Monster Raving Loony Party fame) had once attended.

It's other, less well known, attendee was a ghost known only as The Green Hand. The tale went thus: During The War the school had suffered a glancing blow from a bomb. The then headmaster, a cruel and spiteful man, had been in the building at the time and was trapped beneath a pile of rubble, his left hand pinned by a rusty nail. Meanwhile the bomb had failed to explode was nearby in the crater. When help arrived it was realised that if they were to dig out the headmaster then there was a danger of rubble falling on the bomb and setting it of. So he was forced to remain where he was while the bomb disposal people defused the ticking death beside him. This took many hours and during this time his hand became infected and gangrenous. The doctor with him decided to remove the hand before the headmaster died of blood poisoning. No sooner had he done so then the whole thing became pointless. A slip of a wrench hit the wrong part of the bomb and weapon, disposal team, doctor and headmaster were slain in an instant. Or so it was thought.

Naturally the school was rebuilt and a new headmaster was appointed. A few months later the deputy head arrived to find his colleague, who had been working late the previous night, collapsed at his desk. When he went to 'wake' him he discovered him dead, strangled. Upon his neck was a green stain in the shape of a left hand... The previous headmaster's spirit had survived in his amputated limb and was vengefully slaying his replacements. The next three headmasters all died in mysterious circumstances before, finally, the school was exorcised. There were no more deaths after that but every now and then mysterious green hand prints would be found here and there about the school. When I was there we could see one high on the outside wall of the boys toilets, it may still be there to this day (probably because IIRC it was in green enamel paint).

You asked for any ghost stories from my old schools and The Green Hand was the only one that made enough of an impression on my mind for me to remember it to this day. Sorry it's not true.

Ha! That was the funniest thing, in hindsight. If you were too much of a troublemaker then the Hand would get you. It haunted the area around headmaster's office, so you didn't want to be sent there. Finally if you told anyone outside the school about The Green Hand, or claimed not to believe in it, it would get y0jhnh

Of course the story of the green hand is true!

Re: The Green Hand

Niles Calder said:
his hand became infected and gangrenous. The doctor with him decided to remove the hand before the headmaster died of blood poisoning. Of course the story of the green hand is true!

I'm sure it is true and a fine tale too. It takes more than a few hours for gangrene to be a problem though. Maybe the historical detail was smudged in the retellings ;)

In the early sixties I went to a school in southern Alabama in the US. Nothing special except it was in the south........lol

Anyway, the story went that there was an old female school teacher who was caught in a compromising position with the headmaster of the school. No one knew what became of her but the story goes that she left suddenly and was never heard from again.

About five or ten years later students starting having serious "accidents". Someone would turn up at the nurses station with a fork pierced through their hand - or someone would be sent to the hospital with an odd wound of undetermined origin.

The story said that it was the "old witch" seeking revenge on anyone who eyed the headmaster of the school, or anyone who was in a class that she used to teach.

Eventually, they discontinued that class altogether in favor of a different type of class.

Things seemed to die down.

Lastly there was a story that said that a student was sent to the hospital due to a vicious wound to the head that was almost life threatening.

On a customary search and questioning sessioning, no one saw the accident happen. No one knew how this person acquired this wound.

Even the person with the injury was questioned by several authorities, and there was no relative point of reference to lead to anyone other than the final disposition of the investigation.

It was called by authorities as injury due to mischance.

The latter term was never completely qualified and to this day, some people will not even go in the room the teacher taught in.

Re: Re: The Green Hand

tinfoilpants said:
I'm sure it is true and a fine tale too. It takes more than a few hours for gangrene to be a problem though. Maybe the historical detail was smudged in the retellings ;)

D+mnit, that last line was my attempt at a Twilight Zone style twist. (your correspondent is throttled into unconciousness by said phantom which then asserts it's own existance!) Now you've gone and spoilt it! :(

Furthermore it's the first recounting, by me, of a tale I first heard when I was seven. So yes I might have glossed over a few of the more faded memories.

:D

Niles

Re: Re: Re: The Green Hand

Niles Calder said:
Furthermore it's the first recounting, by me, of a tale I first heard when I was seven. So yes I might have glossed over a few of the more faded memories.

Perhaps you could add some space aliens. I like space aliens.

tinfoil y-fronts

Maybe you should get some tinfoil antennae too. I like antennae.;)

I still attend a spooky old school. Beverley Grammar School, Beverley, East Yorkshire. The oldest building is the Art block, about 250 years or so old. Then the main school building, early Edwardian I think, with bits added here and there during the wars and until the present day. No-one goes into the cellar as its been closed for about twenty-five years. It has a disturbing past. Thomas Percy, one of the gunpowder plotters, attended my school...nice to know that a potential murderer attended my school...then there are the portraits of the former head masters. They're all old and slightly scary, the eyes folow you around the library. Then the portrait of St. John Of Beverley, the school founder in 700AD, its creepy to look at. And then there is a ghost in the Main Hall and the headmaster's Corridor. The stage area is supposed to be haunted but I've never seen anything in there...only on the bottom Hall corridor. It scratches the wall and moves stuff. But its never hurt anybody to badly, just pushing them down stairs and stuff!

hi.
i am new in london and i am interested in this conversation here...
i am wondering is there any good stories about graveney school in tooting?
or perhaps some other school which is located in SW london?
i am doing a research on this and if possible, email me if you have some stories
to tell me about.
my email address is [email protected]

in all honesty if you visit any school and ask about ghosts and the like my bet is that they will all have something personally i dot think it would be school without do you ?

cas

Sorry to mention Ghosthunters on the forum again, but it is that damn good a program.

One episode of Ghosthunters features the story of a schoolteacher who died in a fire.
I won't go into any more detail because :
a) I don't want to spoil anyone's enjoyment of that episode.
b) I can't remember it in any more detail.

My school was supposed to have been haunted. I'm not sure of the story behind it and I never saw anything. There was one school in the area that everyone knew the ghost story about. There had been someone called Lady Doughty. The roof of the school had used to be a playground and she had fallen from it. The story was if you wanted to see her ghost you had to go into the toilets , breath on the mirror and call her name 5 times then she would appear. My friend tried it but nothing happened.

I am rather old and took, and failed the 11+. (well I'm not that old I was one of the last people in the country to do it).

As I failed I went to the secondary modern, but some of my friends went to the grammer school I the same town. It was an old stately home and there was supposed to be the ghost of one of the the ladies that wandered around the top floor.
The best thing was the other day I was reading an MR James story and the Digby family (whose house it had been) were mentioned!! But not the ghost.

Sorry my story isn't very scary.

Howdy..

I went to a boarding school called Wymondham College in Norfolk. The site used to be a WW2 American Airforce Hospital, so one can only assume that a lot of service men died there.. and as school site go, it must rank as one of those with the highest death tools. Unfortunatley in seven years of living and working there no one to my knowledge saw a thing..

The Fear

When I worked in hospitals, ghosts were a fairly common subject of discusion, when you worked nights & some people even claimed to have seen them.

But, the interesting factor, common to most of these stories & sightings, was how few patients returned as ghosts, most of them seemed to be old nursing staff. Often, nurses who had no other life but the hospital!!!!

We often discussed if they could not let go, even in death.

I moved around a bit as a kid and every school I went to was supposed to be haunted ( blood-dripping hands , weeping murdered boys etc ,) but no one ever saw anything . My sister is a nurse and the main ghostly things that seem to go on tend to be old ladies on geriatric wards saying they saw old Mrs So and So's dead husband come in and lead Mrs So and So away at the moment Mrs S&S died .
Marion

I attended a (fairly unremarkable) boarding school small enough to be housed in a Victorian mansion on a residential street. The building's poky upstairs had been converted into dormitories, and it was easy for the uninitiated to get lost in its narrow labyrinthine corridoors.

One morning I was running up to my dorm to grab a text book I'd forgotten, when an unknown schoolmate jumped out of some doorway and started running in front of me. Not thinking much of it I followed her down corridoors, up stairwells, round corners, etc. Fire doors were situated at the end of each corridoor, and she would push one open, run through it, and I'd follow, catching the door on its backswing.

I remember very clearly that this girl was blonde, in the current uniform, and wearing a purple scrunchy. I was beginning vaguely to wonder why she was going to the 4th Year dorm, when she pushed open the dorm door, ran in -- I followed and found myself utterly alone in the room.

I was more shocked than scared -- I remember checking under all the beds, picking up my text book and leaving very quietly and being rather subdued for the rest of the day. I've never experienced anything like that since, at school or out of it.

I attended a grammar school in Kent which celebrated it's 400th anniversary in 1976 (showing my age now!) The original old school building had been kept in the grounds of the modern school and, as part of the anniversary celebrations, we were taken on a tour of it. It was quite bizarre seeing 16th century schoolboy graffiti carved into the old desks, proving that schoolboys are the same, whatever era they are from. But what spooked me was the pictures of the old teachers from hundreds of years ago which had been hung on the walls. One of the pictures was the absolute image of the English teacher who was my form tutor at the time! I pointed this out to some teachers but they claimed to be able to see no resemblance.
The teacher in question was one of the nice ones, and was absolutely devoted to her job. It started all sorts of thoughts in my 11 year old mind about her loving her job so much that even death could not part her from it!
Not spooky I know, but it always struck me as a strange coincidence.

At my old school (just finished last year - YAAAAH!) there is this pretty old building. It was built by Methodist, and it's called Methodist Ladies College... pretty fancy name for a school filled with the opposite of methodist girls. So, it looks all quite gothic and like a chapel... and there has been two deaths at school. One is a girl who fell off the railing and smashed her skull on the rocky slope that led to the tuckshop.

But the second one is the BEST one I've ever heard. Since grade one there, I've heard some FANTASTIC stories... Laura Fitchett. She came from an extremely wealthy and successful family, and was the team captain of everything, was intelligent and popular and all of that... went to boarding school there, and everybody loved her soooo much. But one day, she just went up the gothic tower (in the old days, it was a bell tower then) and hung herself. No note was found. Nothing. Probably her lovely popular image and parent's exceptions had smothered her and drove her to sucide. Most of it was hushed up, and a sports house was named after her, and the hall where we did drama, as well as the new church, named after her. But we all always whispered about the tower where she hung herself. Apparently, she still lurks there... and more than often, boarders dare some unfortunate girl to sneak out and go up the tower, to sit there for a hour till midnight... and always, they come down all white and shaking, refusing to talk about it, but they always mentioned something like yellow-green lights.

I've never seen anything, and I wished more than anything that I was a boarder, so I could sneak up and wait... to see if anything happened. Although... a few years back, I was late from a pretty late class (finished at 7.30!!!) and I was rushing down to the tram stop, when I noticed the tower. A strange, closed lime light (think of one of these little bouncy glowing balls) was darting around the tower. I stopped, and then the light just went out. So did the outer lights, to light up the outside of the tower. After a minute, the outer lights restarted themselves, but the interior lights remained dark. Brrr.

Last Scream

There is a myth that goes with my school, South Wolds in Keyworth, Nottinghamshire. The story goes that, when the school first opened in the sixties, one of the teachers had severe depression and killed herself by jumping out of a third story window in the language block.
I was helping out at a parent's evening at the school sometime last year. I wasn't supposed to be on the top floor of the language block because no teachers would be having meetings there thata night. However, there was something about the darkness of the stairs that made me go up there.
I walked into the Spanish room which is said to be THE room and I heard what sounded like a big thud on the wall and then a blood-curdling scream. It was very, very loud and pinned me to the spot. I felt my stomach turn and I was almost sick.I'm sure that the sound came from that room and had not just travelled through the walls from below.
I ran back down one flight of stairs to the room directly below the Spanish room where meetings were being held and told my friend about the experience. She had not heard anything ecen though the room was almost silent, with teachers whispering softly to parents.

I went to a school called Winnington Park Primary School in the North West of Engalnd which supposedly had it's own ghost.

Even at the time there were conflicting views on how and when the phenomena started but the general synopsis is as follows:

A girl called Stephanie Lowe was killed in either a fire or a car crash and could be heard (the school has now been demolished) screaming "Mummy, Mummy, Noooo...". I was part of a group of kids who actually heard this happen one night and, whilst it could well have been one of that group as a practical joke, the sound came from the school and we were a good few yards away.

I remember it being one of the scariest experiences of my young life and it was also the start of my life long fascination with the paranormal. Conclusive proof that school can give you more than just an education...

There are a couple of good stories from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Reportedly, one of the auditoriums is haunted. The story I heard was that a fellow was working on the catwalk high above the floor. There was just enough room on the metal beam for him to do his work. You can imagine his terror upon hearing footsteps coming towards him on the beam! No apparition, just the sound, which came inexorably closer, passed through him, and continued.

The specter of a Confederate soldier also haunts the campus. Can't remember any details!

my secondary school Sydenham girls in south east london was meant to have a ghost. According to the caretakers lights would switch on and off at night and there had been a convent on the site years and years ago and it was the ghost of a nun. They seemed to take it (the lights, doors locking/unlocking and stuff moving around) as normal occurancea.

School Ghosts

Hi,
I went to an all girls private grammar school in Australia, it's pretty old, nothing really happened but there used to be rumors of a ghost of a girl up in the bell tower that is situated above the main office.
Sorry, it's not really that scary, but just thought that i would add it.

Back