• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Have There Been 'Ghosts' Of People Still Living?

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
So the traditional, one might say, classical way to view the ghost phenomenon is that it (or they) represent(s) the `souls` of dead people who have been unable to `move on` and thus haunt people and locations to complain of this or that or to right some injustice. Thus world literature is rife with just such ghosts, used for the most part as a plot device.

From the Twentieth Century we began to develop a new paradigm from which to consider ghosts - and I would say that it has become the predominant one.

It is that `ghosts` are `recordings` of events from the past. The exact way this would happen is not known and rarely explained, but the idea is that at certain locations - perhaps where there are special types of stone or water nearby -` psychic recordings` can occur when an emotionally significant event occurs. This will then be replayed in the minds or perceptions of those in that location - hence `hauntings.`

We like this idea because we are all familiar with the idea of recorded sound and vision.

However, it occurs to me that if this theory is correct, then there is no reason why the ghost or ghosts should have to be of people who have died. A still living person - say a person involved in a car crash at a certain locale but who subsequently survived - could still become a `ghost`.

So, I'm asking if anyone knows of any ghost cases where the ghost is of a living person or persons.

Just to be clear, I do NOT mean any of the following;

Doppelgangers. I don't know what this phenomenon is, but I don't think it's a haunting of the kind I am trying to describe.

Vardorgers. Again a strange phenomenon where a person seems to appear at a house in advance of their actual appearance Interesting, but not what I'm talking about.

Crisis apparitions. These seem to me to fit the traditional view of ghosts in that they are the appearance, to their loved ones, of someone in the process of dying who subsequently passes away.

Any actual hauntings by an entity later found to be that of a still living person?

Since you focused on the label "haunting" ...

Are you restricting the search to examples of persistent / repeated appearances associated with a specific location?

In other words:

- are you excluding one-time appearances / manifestations / visions of living persons?
- are you excluding similar appearances / manifestations / visions of a particular living person across multiple locations?

Is that including saintly bilocation?

So the traditional, one might say, classical way to view the ghost phenomenon is that it (or they) represent(s) the `souls` of dead people who have been unable to `move on` and thus haunt people and locations to complain of this or that or to right some injustice. Thus world literature is rife with just such ghosts, used for the most part as a plot device.

From the Twentieth Century we began to develop a new paradigm from which to consider ghosts - and I would say that it has become the predominant one.

It is that `ghosts` are `recordings` of events from the past. The exact way this would happen is not known and rarely explained, but the idea is that at certain locations - perhaps where there are special types of stone or water nearby -` psychic recordings` can occur when an emotionally significant event occurs. This will then be replayed in the minds or perceptions of those in that location - hence `hauntings.`

We like this idea because we are all familiar with the idea of recorded sound and vision.

However, it occurs to me that if this theory is correct, then there is no reason why the ghost or ghosts should have to be of people who have died. A still living person - say a person involved in a car crash at a certain locale but who subsequently survived - could still become a `ghost`.

So, I'm asking if anyone knows of any ghost cases where the ghost is of a living person or persons.

Just to be clear, I do NOT mean any of the following;

Doppelgangers. I don't know what this phenomenon is, but I don't think it's a haunting of the kind I am trying to describe.

Vardorgers. Again a strange phenomenon where a person seems to appear at a house in advance of their actual appearance Interesting, but not what I'm talking about.

Crisis apparitions. These seem to me to fit the traditional view of ghosts in that they are the appearance, to their loved ones, of someone in the process of dying who subsequently passes away.

Any actual hauntings by an entity later found to be that of a still living person?
You’ve chucked the baby out with the bathwater there. I’ve seen a ghost of me.

I don't know if this qualifies but I have heard stories and seen a few programs about people in coma's being seen up and around. Or out and about as it were, when they are still lying in bed in a deep comatose state.

40 years ago or so, my then girlfriend "saw" me walk into WH Smiths (a favourite haunt of mine back then). She was standing on the opposite side of the road but in front. Easily recognisable because of one of those massive padded jackets, long hair and marked limp I have. She searched the shop, it was only a small branch, but I wasn't there nor was any doppelganger. Jumped out of her skin when I tapped her on the shoulder further down the street. Came across her 20 years later and she brought up the incident which had stuck with her as inexplicable.

Maybe it was one of those "expected to see me going into Smiths" type moments, or a reflection of me in a shop window, or maybe I was in 2 places at once momentarily. She was aware that I was in the process of dumping her, so possibly wishful thinking.

Funnily enough, reading another thread earlier I was wondering whether doppelgangers could in fact be part of time slip phenomena. I've never experienced this phenomena myself but I have a family member who has. Having heard the tales recounted, they're pretty banal could be the result of a supernatural 'trickster' impersonation, time slip or the ghost of someone who's still living, and there's nothing that strongly leads me to one explanation or another.

There was also the Rev Dr Astley who was twice seen at his vicarage in East Rudham, Norfolk even though he was hundreds of miles away recovering from a train accident. He didn't suffer any massive injuries and at the time was in a comfortable condition, so not a "crisis apparition."

I've previously posted on here about a relative who looked up from reading and saw his daughter sitting in a chair and smiling at him. He greeted her (she didn't reply) and put his paper down. He then immediately looked up again and she was gone.

When he told us about this experience, he was still completely unaware that his daughter had been in hospital having surgery and thus under anaesthetic at that very moment he 'saw' her. His daughter and family had decided not to tell him abut the surgery as there had been a family tragedy involving the very same operation in the past and they didn't want to worry him.

Since you focused on the label "haunting" ...

Are you restricting the search to examples of persistent / repeated appearances associated with a specific location?

In other words:

- are you excluding one-time appearances / manifestations / visions of living persons?
- are you excluding similar appearances / manifestations / visions of a particular living person across multiple locations?
Yes, my call out is a bit vague, isn't it? I had in mind Classic Ghost Scenarios (if such exist) where there is a `haunting` at a particular site that recurs and is viewed by more than one person and ideally, (but not necessarily,) not related to the source of the `ghost`. So you have a location, you have a recurring phantom and you have a series of witnesses. I did want to exclude things like Vardorgers and Doppelgangers because it seems to me these belong more to the realm of - maybe - telepathy or precognition if anything.

Theres a famous book on this subject:
Phantasms of the living by Edmund Gurney
Downloadable here (legally): https://archive.org/details/phantasmsoflivin02gurniala
Thanks Tangletwigs. Being a little ghost-lore illiterate, this one has passed me by.
You’ve chucked the baby out with the bathwater there. I’ve seen a ghost o.
I saw a "ghost" of my mum twice - she was still alive at the times I saw the figure.
Tantalising! More details would have been nice. If you have told the stories before, how about telling us where to find them - or even a link.
There was also the Rev Dr Astley who was twice seen at his vicarage in East Rudham, Norfolk even though he was hundreds of miles away recovering from a train accident. He didn't suffer any massive injuries and at the time was in a comfortable condition, so not a "crisis apparition."
Perfect!

We have doppelgänger/bilocation threads. This is where people post about Ghosts Of People Still Living.

'My' doppelgänger used to be seen around and it always caused trouble.
Indeed! Thanks, escargot!

Last edited:
I've previously posted on here about a relative who looked up from reading and saw his daughter sitting in a chair and smiling at him. He greeted her (she didn't reply) and put his paper down. He then immediately looked up again and she was gone.

When he told us about this experience, he was still completely unaware that his daughter had been in hospital having surgery and thus under anaesthetic at that very moment he 'saw' her. His daughter and family had decided not to tell him abut the surgery as there had been a family tragedy involving the very same operation in the past and they didn't want to worry him.
Have to say that in my experience, keeping important secrets like this is a big gamble.

Causing someone to worry before the fact is nothing compared to the pain inflicted if it all goes wrong and the person being 'protected' has been denied the chance to offer support and if necessary, say goodbye.
Had it in my own family and still find it hard to forgive.

Perhaps Daughter was wishing she'd seen Dad beforehand for a hug.

I'll post more details of my experiences later on, I was pressed for time this morning, sorry.
Neither experience was earth shattering and today I attribute the sighting to tricks of the mind.

My stories:
Both occurred about 1978/9.
The first must have been in the summer months as I was off school and playing in the garden with my toys. At some point I looked up and saw my mum carrying laundry from around the kitchen extension to the clothes line. I don't recall if I saw her pegging the clothes up. It was undoubtedly my mum: she was wearing her red cardigan with gold buttons that she still has for years afterwards. A while later I went indoors and found my mum asleep on the sofa. She hadn't been outside at all.

The second time was a year perhaps afterwards. Now, this time my mum was definitely not in the house. She was miles away with my dad. I was reading a book and for some reason I turned to my right and looked over my shoulder into the kitchen and saw my mum, again wearing the cardigan. She was bending over the surface looking at some black tarpaulin we'd obtained for a garden project. I then turned back and carried on reading my book.
Now, in this second case, I must have known that it couldn't have been my mum. The first occasion, perhaps she got up and forgot about it? That wasn't possible the second time.
On neither occasion do I remember being frightened by this doppelganger. I was then very much into ghosts and had read stories about them. I just seemed to have accepted what I saw.

I have a good memory for the layouts of all the houses/flats I lived in during the late 80s and mid 90s. I often dream about these places and see myself walking around them - as if they still exist exactly as they were. In all my dreams my appearance is as I was during those years too, regardless of the subject or setting of my dream. In reality I am older and look different.

I had a funny thought recently - wouldn't it be weird if when I have those dreams, the current occupants of those places are seeing weird apparitions of me as I used to be wandering around? And if any changes have been made to the places I could be walking through walls etc etc.....

I also had a weird experience as a child in my bedroom (during the 1970s), hearing my mother talking and seeing her walk across the landing and going down the stairs. I called out to her to stop her going downstairs but she ignored me and carried on. I heard the steps going down, until I shouted out to her again and the footsteps stopped. Then I heard her voice/footsteps coming up from the bottom of the stairs. She was adamant she hadn't been upstairs at all when I told her. It was really weird to experience. I know the logical explanation is that I may have fallen asleep briefly and dreamt it or I might have hallucinated it if I was between sleep/waking states, but it was very convincing.

Rev Dr Astley never gave up on his vicarage duties and didnt want to let his parishioners down.

Back