• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hawking Rethinks Black Hole Theory

A

Anonymous

I wish i understood all this but it's still interesting,full story here

In 1976, he calculated that once a black hole forms, it radiates energy and starts losing mass. This "Hawking radiation" gives no information about matter inside the black hole and once the black hole evaporates, all information is lost.

But this runs contrary to the laws of quantum physics, which dictate that this information can never be completely lost.

The physicist argued that the extreme gravitational fields of black holes overturned these laws.

Hawking's new black holes never completely destroy everything that falls in. Instead, they continue to emit radiation for extended periods, and eventually open up to reveal the information within them.

The U-turn could cost Hawking an encyclopaedia. He and theoretical physicist Kip Thorne, of California Institute of Technology, made a bet on the theory with an oppenent of the idea, John Preskill, also of Caltech.

Hawking and Thorne are expected to present Preskill with an encyclopaedia of his choice.

Ok, answering my own thread here but I've been reading 'Quantam Physics for Beginners'....I've been reading it for three years in fact :). The thing that strikes me is that a lot of quantam physics seems like a delightful and wonderous game. I love the ideas of black holes and matter exisiting in two planes and the way my brain hurts afterwards but how much of it is actually proveable and practical???

I am a complete physics virgin so i appreciate this will have the more intelligent among you raising your eyebrows. To me it's like a branch of philisophy, if that makes any sense.

If they ever publish a book entiteled " An idiots guide to Quantam Physics", let me know, I'd probably still not understand it.:goof:

I've just started reading "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose which is fairly easy going so far (but I'm only on page 18). I expect I'll be be baffled by the end.

Didn't someone once say that if you understood QM then you'd misunderstood the point, or something like that?

Jane.

I find the distinction between philosophy and science is getting more and more blurred, granted some could say it has always been blurred, but with the recent advances of quantum physics the two, in certain aspects seem almost the same.

Its all very strange. Why do particles on the sub atomic level not obey the classic laws of physics. Could the classic laws be wrong? What? Science being wrong!

Lord help us!

Oh no, he can't because science proves his non-existance... oh crap... damn paradoxical states.

It reminds me of the ancient theological debates like 'How many angels on the head of a pin' etc...I suppose if science is the new religion this is the way our thinking is going.

To me it's a way of stretching the mind, thinking outside the box. I don't understand any of it but i like it. :)

The classic laws of physics, by which you I assume you refer to Newtonian mechanics provide a good model for explaining behaviour on the macro level, ie that which we experience every day. These laws aren't wrong, but they are a very good approximation of reality. If you want to you can apply quantum mechanics to large body problems such as throwing a cricket ball but after months of calculation you'll get a result which to all intents and purposes is the same as you'd get with a five minutes on a calculator using standard mechanics.
It's all about using the right tool for the job.

Angels on pins - hmm. The difference is that we can't measure the number of angels, and the theologians weren't interested in doing measurements either. Basic principle of science - if you can't measure it then you can't prove it.

Richard Feynman: " If you think you understand quantaum mechanics then you don't."

It would seem that it is always best to put the stress on the second word whenever reading Quantum Theory, as with most science it is there to be disproved if you have the tools

Stephen Hawking will be 70 on Jan 8th. Here, the Guardian presents the views of his colleagues and students:

Stephen Hawking at 70: still the brightest star in the scientific universe
As the author of A Brief History of Time approaches 70, eminent former students celebrate an awe-inspiring intellect still pushing at the frontiers of physics

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... king-at-70

Hawking is currently advertising for someone who can fix and maintain his ancient speaking machine.

Scientist who rewrote the laws of survival
Next week, Stephen Hawking is 70. The blockbuster author who visits Stringfellows in his wheelchair still astonishes the world
Jonathan Owen Sunday 01 January 2012

He is, perhaps, the world's most unlikely superstar. Despite a lifetime of fighting disease and defying medical predictions, Professor Stephen Hawking has become the planet's most celebrated cosmologist.
Divorced twice, with three children and a jet-set lifestyle transcending the confines of academia, he turns 70 next week.
A rare insight into the man will be given this week by his children and some of his closest friends when they pay tribute to him on Radio 4.

Diagnosed with motor neurone disease at 21, he was warned he might not live to see his 22nd birthday. Yet he has spent decades working on groundbreaking theories and the nature of the universe.

Hawking has turned his disability into a trademark and has become a cultural icon, with appearances on many TV series. His appeal extends to lads' mags: Nuts voted him British Bloke of the Year in 2011 – beating Daniel Craig and David Beckham. 8)

In 1988, he published A Brief History of Time, which sold 9 million copies, the first of a series of blockbuster publications.

There are contenders for his title as the world's top pop scientist, led by Brian Cox. But none has a personal profile to rival his, let alone a comparable scientific track record. His ability to generate controversy – statements such as "Science makes God unnecessary" and his dismissal of the afterlife as a "fairy story for people afraid of the dark" – has fuelled his fame.

His son Tim says his father developed strategies to escape relentless public attention: "He had a pre-set phrase on his voice machine. He used to pretend that he was a doppelganger for Stephen Hawking and not the real one, which didn't fool anyone."

The pressure of celebrity played a part in the breakdown of Professor Hawking's first marriage. And he hit the headlines again when his second marriage, to his former nurse, ended in 2006 amid rumours that she had abused him. Police investigated reports of abuse on at least two occasions, in 2000 and 2003, but no charges were ever brought.

Domestic affairs aside, there is little doubt he has enthusiastically enjoyed the trappings of fame. One of his more unlikely chums is Peter Stringfellow, the nightclub owner. He recalls when Hawking came to his club. "I said to him 'I have my own views on the Big Bang and string theory – would you like to talk about them or just see the girls?' And in just two words it came out: 'the girls'."

Professor Hawking has received a stream of accolades and awards for his scientific work. To Ben Bowie, executive producer of the television series Into the Universe and Grand Design, he is a "rock star of physics". Giving an insight into the academic's sense of humour, he said: "We'd just transmitted one of the shows and he said 'Ben, look at the sun'. So I looked out of the window and his nurse said, 'He doesn't mean that' – and she reached in her handbag and pulled out The Sun and on page 3 was Cindy – "a great fan of Stephen Hawking". :D

In truth, the scientist, who spent 30 years as the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge, is no nerd. He is equally happy taking to the dancefloor in his wheelchair at a university ball or partying with scantily dressed hostesses at Stringfellows. He defies attempts to pigeonhole him.
And his daughter Lucy says her father loves the limelight: "He is a bit of a impresario at heart, and he loves a big show, a big stage, bright lights, whether it's him on stage or whether it's watching the spectacle."

The professor is philosophical about the hand fate has dealt him: "I'm sure my disability has a bearing on why I'm well known. People are fascinated by the contrast between my very limited physical powers and the vast nature of the universe I deal with," he says on his website.

Reflecting on his forthcoming 70th birthday, he remarks how he was born "exactly 300 years after the death of Galileo. However, I estimate that about 200,000 other babies were also born that day."

Lord Professor Martin Rees, the Astronomer Royal, paid tribute to his friend: "Even his mere survival seems a medical marvel – fully deserving of celebration and razzmatazz. But he hasn't merely survived; he has become arguably the most famous scientist in the world."

From cartoons to sci-fi series, pop music to chat shows, Professor Stephen Hawking is an instantly recognisable global brand. He makes regular guest appearances on The Simpsons – Lucy, his daughter, used to work with one of the writers. His Simpsons character is so popular that it has been made into an action figure.

The best-selling author and TV presenter is also a sought-after speaker who can fill the Albert Hall for lectures. Bands such as Pink Floyd have sampled his distinctive voice, and The Manic Street Preachers 2009 album Journal for Plague Lovers features the track "Me and Stephen Hawking".

The scientist was played by Benedict Cumberbatch in the Bafta-nominated Hawking in 2004, set during his postgraduate days at Cambridge. Professor Hawking has also popped up on chat shows in the US – once taking part in a sketch with Jim Carrey.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 83792.html

rynner2 said:
Stephen Hawking will be 70 on Jan 8th. Here, the Guardian presents the views of his colleagues and students:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... king-at-70
You can listen to 3 fifteen minute radio shows which echo this article. The first one especially reveals how children react to his ideas:

Dear Professor Hawking - Episode 1.

On the eve of his 70th birthday, BBC Radio 4 pays tribute to one of the world's most famous living scientists, Professor Stephen Hawking. Using letters, archive recordings and interviews, each programme will focus on one aspect of Professor Hawking's life. This is a series which will reveal the thoughts, concerns and humour of one of the icons of modern science.

Contributions from: his children, Lucy Hawking and Tim Hawking; noted theoretical physicist Kip Thorne; Lord Professor Martin Rees, the Astronomer Royal (a student at Cambridge with Hawking); Cosmologist Professor Paul Stelland (a PhD student of Hawkings in the 1980s); Producer Ben Bowie (producer of 'Stephen Hawking's Universe' for Discovery); Biographer Kitty Ferguson; his personal assistant Judith Croasdell; his graduate assistant Sam Blackburn (who looks after the voice/chair technology).

Stephen Hawking was, from 1979 to 2009, the Lucasion Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge (following in the footsteps of Sir Isaac Newton). He is a Companion of Honour, Commander of the British Empire, Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society, lifetime member of the Pontifical Academy of Science and, in 2009, was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ramme-info

(Links to the other episodes at the end.)

Stuff you can listen to while playing simple computer games
- I got a great score on Tetrix during episode 1 :D
(but I got hammered at backgammon in episode 2 :( )

Stephen Hawking: 'Women are a complete mystery'
Professor Stephen Hawking, the eminent physicist whose quantum cosmology transformed our understanding of the universe, has admitted he is baffled by the fairer sex.
By Donna Bowater
9:52PM GMT 04 Jan 2012

Despite being known as the world's most famous scientist, Professor Hawking has revealed that he, like many other men, spends much of his time thinking about women.
In an interview with the New Scientist magazine to mark his 70th birthday on Sunday, January 8, he was asked: "What do you think most about during the day?" to which he replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."

The article was published ahead of a symposium in his honour at Cambridge University on Sunday. The event, called The State of the Universe, will be hosted by the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology to mark his milestone birthday.

Professor Hawking was diagnosed with motor neurone disease at the age of 21 and was expected to live for only a few years. Instead, he defied expectations and enjoyed an illustrious career.
Motor neurone disease, also known as MND, is a degenerative disease that damages the nervous system and muscles. The extent of Professor Hawking's condition now means he can only communicate by twitching his cheek.

Asked what would do most to revolutionise our understanding of the universe, he replied: "The discovery of supersymmetric partners for the known fundamental particles, perhaps at the Large Hadron Collider."

In response to a question asking his biggest blunder, he answered: "I used to think that information was destroyed in black holes."
He said a theory correspondence developed in 1997 had led him to change his mind. "This was my biggest blunder, or at least my biggest blunder in science," he said.

Earlier this year, Professor Hawking said he was "not afraid of death" in an interview with the Guardian.
He described heaven as a "fairy story for people afraid of the dark".
"I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years,” he told the newspaper.
“I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/step ... stery.html

Stephen Hawking silences Go Compare singer in latest ad instalment
Ad features 70-year-old physicist opening black hole in space-time continuum to silence annoying tenor Gio Compario ;)
Mark Sweney
The Guardian, Tuesday 1 January 2013

Physicist Stephen Hawking has put his extensive knowledge of black hole theories to good use, by conjuring one to suck the irritating opera-singer in the Go Compare ads into another dimension.

Hawking, who has notched up an impressive array of pop culture credits including appearances on Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Simpsons and Red Dwarf, is the latest celebrity to feature in the insurance price-comparison website's TV advertising.

The latest ad features the 70-year-old Hawking opening a black hole in the space-time continuum to silence the annoying ditty sung by Go Compare's fictitious tenor, Gio Compario. :twisted:

"I confess I am a fan of the Go Compare adverts," Hawking said. "I am also an opera fan so I was delighted to be given the opportunity to help save the nation and silence Gio."

The former Lucasian professor of mathematics at Cambridge University follows A Question of Sport presenter Sue Barker, former England footballer Stuart Pearce, TV survival expert Ray Mears and dancer Louie Spence in signing up to appear in the ad campaign.

In 2012 the wheelchair-bound scientist featured on science geek sitcom The Big Bang Theory during which he accepted a character's request to play the Zynga's Words with Friends online game.

Hawking, a self-confessed Trekkie, has also appeared as himself in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation playing poker against Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein and Data, the show's resident science genius. Hawking won. He has also appeared in The Simpsons and an anniversary edition of Red Dwarf.

A recurring Family Guy character called Steve, who has a computer-simulated voice, is said to be based on Hawking.

Go Compare's marketing officer, Kevin Hughes, said: "We were thrilled to hear [Hawking] was a fan of the ads and believe his appearance will really take viewers by surprise."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/ ... go-compare

Hawking theory on Black Holes confirmed.

"One of Stephen Hawking's most famous theorems has been proven right, using ripples in space-time caused by the merging of two distant black holes.
The black hole area theorem, which Hawking derived in 1971 from Einstein's theory of general relativity, states that it is impossible for the surface area of a black hole to decrease over time."

https://www.livescience.com/hawking-theory-confirmed.html

Hawking theory on Black Holes confirmed.

"One of Stephen Hawking's most famous theorems has been proven right, using ripples in space-time caused by the merging of two distant black holes.
The black hole area theorem, which Hawking derived in 1971 from Einstein's theory of general relativity, states that it is impossible for the surface area of a black hole to decrease over time."

https://www.livescience.com/hawking-theory-confirmed.html
Article also addressed the question I immediately had

"Oddly, the area law seems to contradict another of the famous physicist's proven theorems: that black holes should evaporate over extremely long time scale,"

Article also addressed the question I immediately had

"Oddly, the area law seems to contradict another of the famous physicist's proven theorems: that black holes should evaporate over extremely long time scale,"
Doesn't that depend on size? A really tiny black hole will evaporate over time.
A really big one will keep going for what seems to be an eternity.

Doesn't that depend on size? A really tiny black hole will evaporate over time.
A really big one will keep going for what seems to be an eternity.
Iirc they are all supposed to evaporate given enough (much longer than the age of the universe) time.

The cool thing here is these two proofs are apparently contradictory, which means new discoveries to be made!

Back