• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hearing Things When Awake!

Eponastill

Justified & Ancient
I've been reading the thread all about people hearing voices just as they're dropping off to sleep, but my little anecdote doesn't fit there because I was wide awake. Although probably a little tired. I'd been on my feet working all day, and I'd taken the 1 1/2 hr train trip to london and was crossing it on the tube. I was standing up near the doors, we were travelling through the tunnel, not near a station. Somebody says in my ear 'Excuse me, madame' in a French accent. I start and look round. Noone is stood near me. You know what it's like on the underground, no-one speaks at the best of times. I looked round the carriage but there was noone that seemed to fit the voice (ie no caucasian women - though admittedly you don't have to be caucasian to speak french). It was very bizarre. Perhaps the curved roof of the carriage had distorted someone speaking further away, speaking japanese or something but my mind had interpreted it as something I recognised. I had been working with a french girl that day, maybe french accents were fresh in my mind.

bonkers really, but I thought I'd share it with you.

the only other aural hallucination I can immediately think of was when I woke up as a child and I could hear someone pouring rice crispies down my neck, I could hear them going the proverbial snap crackle and pop. but I was on the boundary of waking and sleeping that time, and there's the excuse for that bizarre experience.

Epona said:
It was very bizarre. Perhaps the curved roof of the carriage had distorted someone speaking further away, speaking japanese or something but my mind had interpreted it as something I recognised. I had been working with a french girl that day, maybe french accents were fresh in my mind.

why do you say Japanese? Was a Japanese person tring to get past you at the time. I ask because the Japanese for excuse me is 'sumimasen'. Pron : soo-mee-ma-sen. It does sound a bit like excuse me madame.

Could this be the answer?

In my house we have a portable telephone.Whenever you press one of the numbers to dial a number,it makes a little beeping noise.So last night I'm lying in bed and I hear that beeping noise coming from my Mom's room.It just thought my Mom was dialing a number,but then I realized how late it was and that if she was dialing a number it was a pretty long one.So I burst in her room only to find her asleep with the phone lying on a table a couple feet from her bed.:eek!!!!:

waster said:
...So I burst in her room only to find her asleep with the phone lying on a table a couple feet from her bed.:eek!!!!:
Make a note of time and date, and check the phone bill carefully!

liveinabin - well, that's interesting about the japanese phrase. I just said japanese because there were a couple of japanese girls in the carriage. Though nobody was standing anywhere near me. Perhaps it was just a case of hearing something and my brain making the best sense it could out of it - a bit like how you can see faces in clouds etc. Rather than me just imagining the whole thing!

I sometimes hear people saying my name when there's no-one around. I read somewhere in an angel book (don't laugh) that this was something like an angel or another being from a higher realm calling your name to make you aware of something in your environment. Just like when you continually notice multiple numbers like 11:11 on a clock it supposed to be a message to be aware.:rolleyes:
OK, that does sound a bit crazy ...

Don't listen to me.
I'm away with the fairies.

Strange noises in the night

Hi there.
Not exactly ghosts as such but couldn't think where else to put it!
Had very little sleep last night-kept getting woken by noises which weren't there. Had stuff on my mind all evening so didn't
actually fail asleep until after 2.
was woken about 5, but not sure what by. Woken again at 7 by my doorbell ringing twice-first ring woke me, second l could hear clearly. Looked out the window - noone there. Noone moving in the whole street.
went back to bed and slept or dozed. Less than an hour later, woke again and sat bolt upright when l clearly heard a female voice call my name, plus another word which l couldn't make out.
Several times I've heard noises-the doorbell most often, and not always when I've been asleep, but never a clear voice before.

Anyone got any thoughts? Most likely it's just something to do with being tired and imagining things.

Steve

i often fall asleep hearing voices. I assume it's my own thoughts or the rehashed conversations I've heard during that day. Sometimes it's as loud and bustling as a market.
The voices make perfect sense but if you wake up and try to analyse the last sentence you heard, it's utter garbage. My boyfriend once heard me saying: "Twenty at the penny". In my haze I groggily repeated this again and again until I was fully awake.
I once also tried to "drink" a small box full of serviette rings.:wtf:

Two days ago i was sleeping at my friend's house, when i heard the door knocking very clearly ( i was not by any means asleep by then) my friend stuck his head out of the window, but there was no one there.

also more customary to use teh bell. LOL>

Faggus said:
Two days ago i was sleeping at my friend's house, when i heard the door knocking very clearly ( i was not by any means asleep by then) my friend stuck his head out of the window, but there was no one there.

also more customary to use teh bell. LOL>

could be the knock.

:eek!!!!:

yeah, my friend didn't hear it, tho it was very clear to me. no black coaches in sight, but they aren't practical in the middle of jericho.

what's the knock?

I'm not particularly concerned by the doorbell ringing - heard it half a dozen times now, almost always around 7am and nothing bad's happened.

Did wonder whether I was just hearing someone elses bell - mine's not that distinctive - but never anyone else walking down the road or at my neighbours doors. The volume and direction just make it sound like mine though. That one is probably just a dream invading conciousness. I very, very rarely remember my dreams though, so perhaps I'm just not used to that happening.

The voice though is a different matter. It was probably again just a dream coming through, but why it woke me up instantly I don't know. Really freaked me out calling my name. I can't tell if I recognised the voice or not. It was a gentle voice though, didn't alarm me - comforted me in fact. Was only a couple of seconds later that I got spooked :eek:

I know that I did hear the second word, and it wasn't a word I remember hearing or using any time soon, but other than that - what the word was or what it meant I have no recollection. I think it began with P or H. Voice seemed to come from one particular place (foot of the bed) but at the same time all around me, which doesn't make sense.

Noone else in the house, and walls are thick enough to drown out most noise from next door.

Perhaps I'm just losing it ;)

Steve.

Phantom beeping and retail echo madness

We live in a "compact and bijou" 1 bed flat so very few noises go unheard; when I'm in the bedroom I regularly hear the beeping of the tv remote in the living room when no one's using it. This is generally when there's some louder white noise going on underneath -- washing machine, kitchen extractor fan, etc. In this situation I also sometimes hear a phantom beep of my mobile phone announcing a text message -- even when I've switched to the vibrate setting. I think it's just my brain messing with my, er, head.

Also, a few years ago a friend and I were browsing through the clothes racks at the local Principles (women's clothes store for our US readers) when suddenly I felt very woozy and all sound took on a distant, echoey quality. Concerned I was having some sort of panic attack, I left the shop and immediately felt better. Went back in, felt faint again -- but this time my friend felt, it too. Looking up, we saw that the ceiling design in several areas consisted of deep concave circles, and we'd been standing under one the whole time. Somehow it generated swimming pool-style acoustics and an eye-swimmingly unbearable atmosphere.

Very strange!

I think tiredness must play a role here.

I once worked in retail and after a particularly busy week when I'd managed at most 4 hours sleep a night (I'm an 8 hours min. man) I was on the bus home. Sitting on the back seat, I suddenly heard a voice from next to me say (with strange intonation) "Chicken Soup!"

I turned to the woman next to me and she looked as though she hadn't said anything, so I turned away...then heard it again - "Chicken Soup!!"
"I beg your pardon?" I said to her, but she looked at me like I was a lunatic, so I guess it wasn't her.
As I walked home I started seeing things that weren't there either, so I guessed at this being some kind of aural hallucination caused by lack of sleep.

Something though that I couldn't attribute to tiredness occurred when I was on holiday in Wales with my family in my Grandparent's cottage when I was about 12.
I was sat on my bed, reading, when I heard a tremendous buzzing noise from outside, followed by a voice that sounded like my sister's saying "Look at all those bees!"
I leapt up from the bed and rushed outside to find no bees and the rest of my family acting normally. I asked where the bees were and...you guessed it, they looked at me like I was an idiot.

Perhaps I'm going mentally ill...but slowly. :madeyes:

waster said:
In my house we have a portable telephone.Whenever you press one of the numbers to dial a number,it makes a little beeping noise....I burst in her room only to find her asleep with the phone lying on a table a couple feet from her bed.:eek!!!!:

I think I read, maybe here, that some of the older portable phones would dial themselves and beep and generally carry on when the batteries would get low, and the voltage dropped below some threshold or other. I can't remember the specifics now.

Back