• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Help finding a Reader's Digest book.

cokker

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi, i don't know if anybody can help me but im after a book called:

Reader's Digest: Folklore, Myths And Legends Of Britain.

Im not 100% sure if thats the title as the book did'nt have a title on the front, more a symbol on a dark blue cotton type cover. I only got a chance to flick through it about 10 or more years ago so im a bit sketchy on the full details.

I found a link to what i think might be what im after but im not sure. :roll:

http://ukbookworld.com/cgi-bin/order_enq.pl?add=Taniwha#ZA41

I also found one on ebay but it does'nt look right (i think its a newer version).

There are a few for sale second hand on Amazon.

I bought 2 copies for 49p and 99p each in Oxfam. Considering they're well over 500 pages and hardbacks, that's quite a deal. Sketchy on references but fascinating to browse.

Unfortunately, the second copy for a gift so i can't see you it.

On a related subject, I picked up a copy of the Reader's Digest book Into The Unknown for 50p in a library sale theother week. It has chapters on:

Ancient Unknowns
Earth Shrines
Atlantis
Art of Magic
Witchcraft
Monsters
Divination
Astrology
Reincarnation
Ghosts & Spirits
Spiritualism
Psi & Science
Power of Dreams
Animal Psi
Mind over Matter
Leaving the Body
Healing
Enigma of UFOs
Psi & the Brain
Miscellanea of the Unknown

ISBN 0-89577-098-9

A cracking read.

Thanks for the tips, i looked around amazon but i could'nt find anything (im not too good with book hunting).

Il take another look around my local library and amazon again, if i find anything il report back.

Thanks again :)

Cokker M8, I may have one of those somewhere, and if I find it, I will send it to you. :D

Really?! Wow that would be great thank you! :D

Please say if you would like something for it or let me pay postage.

Wah-hey! Found it! :D

You can have it, my pleasure!

What a super book. This copy is a bit tatty on the outside but the pages are perfect.

Another one is called Strange Stories and Amazing Facts. Great book.

I don't remember seeing that one, but I bet I will now, at the next car boot sale. ;)

escargot1 said:
Wah-hey! Found it! :D

You can have it, my pleasure!

What a super book. This copy is a bit tatty on the outside but the pages are perfect.

Thank you thank you thank you :D :D

ghostdog19 said:

I found that in a second hand bookshop in St Andrews, I remembered it from school. Did I buy it? Nope! It might even still be there.

The pic I recall from it is the one with the man without any skin on his hand so all his veins are showing. I still don't know how they took that photo.

gncxx said:
ghostdog19 said:

I found that in a second hand bookshop in St Andrews, I remembered it from school. Did I buy it? Nope! It might even still be there.

The pic I recall from it is the one with the man without any skin on his hand so all his veins are showing. I still don't know how they took that photo.

That sounds like a weird book, il keep me eye open :lol:

details of it (following a quick google) can be found here.

http://www.greatwhatsit.com/archives/124

I still have my copy.

I read it a lot when I was a kid. The sort of book I read over and over again. My first Fortean bible. It covers a lot of stuff, from the big bang to the far flung future of the universe. It's a great reference book to have, for all its nostalgic worth.

All wrapped up, ready to go. ;)

Edit: posted!

*pulls chair closer to fire, turns up oil lamp*

Read us that bit on page 224. :D

escargot1 said:
All wrapped up, ready to go. ;)

Edit: posted!

*pulls chair closer to fire, turns up oil lamp*

Read us that bit on page 224. :D

Thank you very much, il make sure i read page 224!

*Sits by front door anxiously waiting for the post*

10 Years or so ago my mum used to look after an old man (dead now bless him) some week nights as a cash in had job to top up the income, sometimes after school id go down and spend an hour with them before going home to change.

In a tall cabnet there were some brick-a-brack holiday souvenir's (wooden cars, cloggs, donkey's from spain etc) and underneath were some books, i saw this book tucked deep inside the other's hardly in site so of course i had to find out what it was.

After much tugging and putting a load of books back i got a chance to have a flick before going home, what i got to read was really intresting but had to make a move home, i got another chance to look at it for a while another night after putting it somewhere easy to get at.

But that was the last time i went there and did'nt get a chance to ask if i could borrow it.

I soon forgot about it and only just thought about trying to find a copy to finish the book as im getting into reading more these days.

:D :D :D It's here! Woooo Hoooo! :D :D :D

Thank you so much escargot1!

Are you sure you don't want anything? :p

P.S, What on page 224 is it that you wanted me to read? :?

:lol: I was joking!
That was the first number that came into my head. ;)

Hope it's as good as you remember. :D

I've been there, it's a lovely area. We visited in early autumn, when the leaves were turning. Fantastic views. 8)

When the wife gets better id like to go and take a visit out that way.

Did you see the bridges? Was it weird looking lol?

Also did you ask if there was a reasonable explanation about the bridges?

The 3 bridges date from different times. There's a viewing platform to look at them from, all stacked up, the oldest at the bottom.

The lowest one is almost down at river height, though, with steep valley sides leading down to it, so I can't see how it was used.

Wel owrth a visit though.

Fantastic snail girl - but just out of interest cokker - what is on page 224?

I remember this book! Still got it around somewhere. For some reason the story that sticks in my memory is the one about the bride hiding in the chest on her wedding day, and then they find her some years later - by then a skeleton! Freaked me out as a kid!

:shock:

It's a great book.

Page 224 is not significant - I said the first number that came into my head. :lol:

Frobush said:
Fantastic snail girl - but just out of interest cokker - what is on page 224?

Here are the story titles on page 224:

Wapping Wall (inner london)
Whitechapel Road (inner london)
(The start of) Eternal Fortress

Any one you would like to know about?

Back