• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Help needed!

Bosbaba

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Well, it is a gloomy windy morning here in Dublin, I am tired as I only got to bed after two this morning as I had my mother on the phone from just before 12 'o clock last night. This is why:

My mother lives in Kraaifontein, which is near to Cape Town, South Africa, currently two hours ahead of us. Last night she went outside with Duke, our dog, for him to do the necessary before retiring for the night. They were out in the backyard and she said that soon after he got outside, he stared at my sister's bedroom window and started to growl and bark, and generally he got very agitated. He raced back inside the house and my mom followed. Duke got his bearings wrong once in the house and she found him staring at the kitchen window at first while she went on into my sister's room and did a thorough search of the place. He followed her into the room and immediately started to growl. Mom says he looked very nervous and uncomfortable.

She did a thorough search of the perimeter of the house, and the interior of the house but could find nothing out of the ordinary. After this she went into the lounge and stayed there. Duke followed her into the lounge but settled down between her and the passageway leading to my sister's room - and continued to growl and also started to bark on occasion. This is when she called me.

I don't know what was going on down there but it certainly made me uncomfortable and I persuaded my mother to get the gun out of the safe as a precautionary measure.

While I was on the phone to her Duke got up twice and ran into the kitchen and the bedroom growling and barking. Later on, when we were still talking and he had resumed his position on the lounge floor, Mom related the strangest part of the whole night's events - Duke apparently looked up toward the corridor and started to growl, and whilst he continued to growl he turned his head as if following someone walking into the room, and following the direction he was looking in, it appears to have walked up beside where my mother was seated.

Shortly after this he stopped growling, settled down and went to sleep - that was around four 'o clock SA time, two 'o clock our time this morning, when Mom felt safe enough to try and go back to sleep.

The whole incident has me a bit bothered, as currently she lives alone down there (my sister lives in Rome, and I am in Dublin). My father passed away in April of last year, and on Saturday evening my mother was relating to me the fact that since his death she has been hearing voices in the house(usually late at night) and occasionally the sound of heavy breathing, coughing, etc. She just assumed it was her imagination playing up on her, especially as the animals did not react to any of it - but this time they did.

When I was a kid I used to share that particular bedroom with my sister, and was always scared to be in there on my own, even in the daytime. My mom does not like the room either as she says it is always unnaturally stuffy in there - even with all the fans on and the windows open it remains a very muggy room.

I don't know if any of you can offer suggestions or ideas based on this information, but I would be grateful for anything you could offer me at this stage.

Well, it could be the spirit of your Dad, but, seeing as you used to be afraid of the room, it could be something else. Has your sister ever had any experiences in the room? These occurences sound familiar to what has happened at my own Mums house, which has seasonal hauntings as well as activity when there is any work being done to the house...

My sister had no experiences in that room at all. I doubt it was my dad as he has been 'around' and mom has related those experiences to me - usually when she is in bed she might hear him as if he was sleeping beside her, or she hears him coughing, occasionally she sees him in dreams too - all of these leave here feeling very comforted and positive, and the animals do not react to this.

This one she did not feel or sense herself, but as noted - the dog was very agitated. I think it might be something else, maybe the same thing that scared the life out of me as a kid, but I think she would feel that, maybe something else.

She joked that it was the spirit of our old dog, that died on the 26th December 2002, as she has noted that the new dog does sometimes get spooked, just usually not to this degree.

did your Mum note a change in room temperature or anything?

I know your mother finds the presence of your father comforting but I wonder if that might be encouraging other spirits to hang about too? Perhaps she should let him go and ask him to take the other spirits with him?

House was 'anointed' by my aunt and her daughter yesterday.

Funny I have no problems believing the place is haunted but I have issues with this 'anointing' - a) because they have never been ordained to any type of priesthood or even baptised into any Christian church, yet they claim Christian authority to do this and b) the oil they used was used cooking oil. I am from the tradition that requires consecrated pure olive oil. Go figure...

Anyhow, the house was peaceful last night - whether this was because the blessing worked or because the ghostie was getting high on the smell of fried chips is something I guess we will never know...

well, id've thought people who aren't in an authority to do that sort of thing can only make things worse... (or they may have taken it with them!)

...and COOKING OIL!!!!!! sheesh! :)

Personally I always though the daughter was possessed with more than her fair share of demons/spirits. Possibly ghostie felt like a night out and will be back later....

Still, as I told my mother, if she felt peckish during the night all she needed to do was lick the doorpost...

update

I went back to SA little over two weeks ago and got back on Monday. This is what I found out:

All the recent activity in the house started when my mother had a picture of my dad framed and tried to hang it up in the bedroom. When she turned her back after hanging the picture it fell off the wall and the frame broke into a number of pieces.

My mom, knowing how much my father detested photographs of himself, decided she was not going to be outdone and carefully glued the frame back together and rehung the photo. Now, wheneever she enters the room the photo is hanging skew on the wall. Everytime she straightens it and works in the room it stays that way but when she leaves, no matter for how long, on reentering the room the photo is skew again.

It may be that this activity is unrelated to the incident related earlier, as I recall experiences in that room from over 12 years ago. Whilst I was there I was able to identify at least one, possibly two other 'presences' in the house, although I felt that these were benign and functioning at an animal level - possibly a remnant of the many dogs and cats that we have had over the years.

Other than that the house seems quite full of the usual haunting noises - footsteps in the night, coughs, tapping on door frames and doors, etc.

Back