• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hemp (Cannabis For Industrial / Non-Drug Use)

monster_magnet

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Can anybody shed any light on the one about the non legalisation of marijuana because the oil companies are worried about the huge potential for the bi-products of hemp. Probably trash, but hey can anybody give a reasonable reason why it hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all types of hemp are hallucinogenic - it was once widely used for making rope for sailing ships, amongst other things.

There is a suggestion that in the USA the original ban against canabis was heavily supported by the early synthetic fiber industry, as they thought that by getting rid of the growning of hemp for fiber, they would corner the market.

The hemp conspiracy

David wrote:

There is a suggestion that in the USA the original ban against canabis was heavily supported by the early synthetic fiber industry, as they thought that by getting rid of the growning of hemp for fiber, they would corner the market.

There really isn't much concrete support for that idea. If you want to see the best available research on the subject, see the references under http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/taxact/taxact.htm

In short, the conspiracy theory alleges that William Randolph Hearst and the DuPonts conspired with Harry Anslinger, then head of the US Federal Bureau of Narcotics to prohibit hemp.

As one can see from the documents at the link above, there isn't any real evidence to say that such a conspiracy existed. It is based on some fond unsupported assumptions and doesn't take into account that marijuana was already illegal in most US states before Anslinger took over as head of the FBN in 1930.

Apparently, one of the reasons marijuana is illegal today is because cotton growers in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers-they saw it as competition ......

..... or so I read anyway.

Doesn't Woody Harrelson drive a bus fuelled by Hemp or Hemp oil?

He's the guy with dozens of hippies chasing him on bicycles...

Chip shops offer fat chance for fry-drive revolution

Waste oil could fuel many more cars, if only there were more of it

John Vidal, Monday October 21, 2002, The Guardian

... Inventor driven by a humanitarian vision

In 1893, the German inventor Rudolph Diesel published a paper called The Theory and Construction of a Rational Heat Engine. It described a revolutionary engine in which air would be compressed by a piston to a very high pressure, causing a high temperature.

Diesel was motivated by a humanitarian vision. He thought that his highly efficient engine, which was adaptable in size and could use various fuels, would allow threatened independent craftsmen and artisans to take on the large industries which virtually monopolised the dominant power source of the time - the expensive, fuel-wasting steam engine.

Diesel expected his engine would be powered by vegetable oils such as hemp and seed oils. At the 1900 World's Fair in Paris, he ran them on peanut oil.

By then Diesel was a millionaire and his engines were used to power pipelines, boats, electric and water plants, cars, trucks and ships.

He died mysteriously in 1913 on a steamer crossing from Antwerp to Harwich. While his death has never been fully explained, conspiracy theorists believe he was assassinated by the German government, which was preparing for war. Diesel was friendly with many of his British counterparts and, shortly after his death, Germany introduced the diesel-engined U-boats which terrorised the Atlantic. This was not technology they would have wanted to share.

Within a few years, the petroleum companies had monopolised the market for cheap fuel and it was largely forgotten that all diesel engines could be powered on just about anything.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/Story/0,2763,816070,00.html

NOW I believe i have something useful to add...

There is a suggestion that the whole "reefer madness" hysteria was whipped up by synthetic fibre moguls to get the ever useful ;)hemp out of the market

Hey, man. There used to be cannibas farm behind my house. A legal one. The plants apparently were a special type which didn't give off vibes but were just used to make hemp ropes and, erm, budgie seed :cool:

I obviously wasn't involved in this behaviour, but some of the locals used to raid the farm occasionally, just to make sure, like ;)

Jane.

Actually, using hemp rather than wood to make paper would be far more sensible. It's an annual crop, so more sustainable than trees. Makes far better quality paper as well...

Sally said:
Actually, using hemp rather than wood to make paper would be far more sensible.
Have you all heard that conspiracy theory whereby, in the early 20th century, leading synthetic fibres industrialists instigate the reefer madness scare in order to quash competition from hemp?

Faggus said:
Have you all heard that conspiracy theory whereby, in the early 20th century, leading synthetic fibres industrialists instigate the reefer madness scare in order to quash competition from hemp?

Dont get me started on that one, I could very well talk your ear off. Lets Just say there are connectins between the Dupont company (whose synthetics would be affected by the hemp product industry, which they had no control over) and the petrochemical industry who were terrified of hemp opening the gateway to biomass fuel resaerch. Which they already knew through their own tests would work just as well as petroleum products, but of course they would have no control over.

FACT Any carbohydrate can produce a bio fuel as well as a hydrocarbon. We've all seen cars on tv runing on various bio fuels such as that can be processed from sunflower seeds or leftover 'mash' from the alcohol brewing process as well as fuel made from hemp. All these fuels are much cleaner burning than petroleum products, but importantly no one company could ever gain control over it.

As for the medicinal companies worrries. They are basicly the same. They know that they are never going to get control of patents over the hemp plant. They hired Harry anslinger to do their dirty work for them to tell lies about hemp and get it banned. When the law was been passed in the us congress. Even the polititians who had medical knowledge had no idea this 'marijuana' they were banning was cannabis under another name used by mexican imigrant farmers. If they had they never would have banned it. Over the first 3 years after the ban on cannabis in the usa over 5000 people were jailed. Most of these were actually DOCTORS who were jailed for precribing it to their patients. Just as they had done for decades, for things like menstrual cramps and reduction of seizures.

heres a page that gives some details: http://www.geocities.com/capitolhill/lobby/8342/pt1.html

Re: If you buy dope

ruffready said:
you are helping the "evil doer's"!! drink beer instead!! and listen to country music!!
Ruff, it's said that comics printed on hemp paper would be cheaper. You know what that means, don't you... more profit for the same cover price! :D

Re: If you buy dope

ruffready said:
you are helping the "evil doer's"!! drink beer instead!! and listen to country music!!
Erm, in what way are they "evil doers"? Would you count anyone who grows it as evil?

How would a patriot such as yourself rate George Washington and Thomas Jefferson?
United States Presidents George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew hemp, used products made from hemp, and praised the hemp plant in some of their writings. Under the laws written by today's politicians, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson would be considered a threat to society--they would be arrested and thrown in prison for the felony crime of growing plants.

the "reefer madness" campaign was started by synthetic fibre moguls to crush competition from the hemp market (no, I'm not a militant stoner).

Cricketer tests eco-friendly box

A Cornish man who has invented what is thought to be the world's first eco-friendly cricket box has been hit in the face while testing the product.

Most cricket boxes and abdominal protectors in other sports such as boxing and hockey are made of plastics derived from oil and do not biodegrade at the end of their life.

As a spin-off from the Eden Eco Surfboard, the Eco Cricket Box is made of hemp and a plant-based resin and is completely biodegradable.

It is designed to encourage companies and individuals to go greener.

The box is now being sent to England Captain Andrew Flintoff although there are no plans to put it into production yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6194467.stm
I saw the Eden Eco Surfboard the other week - I thought at the time it would be awkward if it decided to biodegrade just when you were riding the biggest wave of your life!

Hemp field becomes a folly in the mad spirit of King Ludwig

UTTING A picture of Neuschwanstein Castle, the retreat of King Ludwig II of Bavaria, took 1,200 hours to plough in a hemp field in Utting, Germany. The enterprise celebrates a king who was a promoter of the arts and architecture and littered Bavaria with imaginative castles.

Bavarians revere the eccentric King. Musicals and songs have been composed about him and Bavarian pubs still carry his portrait.

The King’s current popularity is based on admiration for his almost poetic love of building impractical castles.

His enthusiasm for castle-building was such that he bankrupted the state. The psychological explanation for his behaviour is most likely obsession, dubbed compulsive palace-building. [Doncha just love these complicated medical terms? ;) ] However, he was declared insane shortly before he drowned in the Starnberg Lake near Munich in 1886.

The 20,000 sq m (215,000 sq ft) hemp field labyrinth will be open to the public from July 19 to September 20.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 013285.ece

Dutch police in cannabis mix-up

A triumph for Dutch police quickly turned out to be an embarrassing mistake after they destroyed what they thought was a field of cannabis plants.

Police on Wednesday announced they had discovered a plantation of some 47,000 illicit cannabis plants with a street value of 4.4m euros ($6.3m; £3.8m).

They had destroyed much of the crop when they were told the plants belonged to a respected school of agriculture. :shock:

They were a type of hemp, being grown as a fibre for use in textiles. :roll:

Hemp is related to cannabis, but contains only trace amounts of THC, the psychoactive substance found in marijuana.

They were being grown in the field near Lelystad, Flevoland province under licence by researchers from Wageningen University who were studying the hemp variety as a potential sustainable source of textiles.

"The street value from a drug point of view is less than zero," the university's Simon Vink told AP news agency.

Under Dutch law, cannabis is a controlled substance, and its large-scale production is illegal.

However a policy of tolerance is applied to individual users.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8237006.stm

If a 1942 public information film doesn't know .. well, then nobody does.

Ooh ahh, Jim lad! That takes me back! Hemp rope was a 'given' in my early sailing years, but nowadays it's mostly been overtaken by various man-made fibres.

But it is still available in UK...

Natural fibre rope is still employed an awful lot in the theatre industry, where it's used for flying; an environment which would not be overly unfamiliar to those more used to sailing and ships - in fact, it was once common to find retired sailors working the fly galleries (it was sailors who brought the actors superstition about whistling with them).

Nowadays it tends to be manila hemp - which isn't actually hemp at all, but is natural.

Manila is used a lot for decorative purposes too, in gardens and the like – but I’m not sure where else (apart from theatre) it’s used regularly for actual hauling. I think part of the problem is it’s rateability: the behaviour of manmade fibres under stress is more scientifically predictable, and therefore you can rate the capacity of a given type of rope with a pretty high level of certainty. The manila rope used in theatre is rated well below its probable capacity because, effectively, each one is a bit different. (I mean, for safety purposes everything is rated below its supposed actual maximum – but natural ropes even more so).

That said, I’ve only ever see one line snap outright – and that was when it was exposed to accidental shock, rather than constant strain. More recently, and more worryingly, I’ve seen a couple of ropes condemned when individual strands within the rope appear to have separated when the line has had weight on it.

Many years ago when I was a lad of ten or eleven years, my father was the mayor of a small West Virginia town. During his tenure in office he managed to get a absent property owner to deed several hundred acres of land to the city for a park .Upon inspection of this land our one man police department discovered several acres of wild mary wanna. Now this was back in the 1950's and, believe it or not, the stuff was raised and sold to the government to make hemp. However, the war was over and the stuff grew wild. Jerry. our cop, reported that this weed, used for hemp, could also be used for less practicle purposes. It couldn't have been very strong; however, the village bought several barrels of weed killer and my Dad and I and my older brother, the cop, the town maintance crew and a couple councilmen spent a Saturday eradicating weed. I had suggested we burn it off and, oh my, did that get me a horse laugh. Even at the time I was helping spray that stuff I wasn't sure why. I only knew you could make rope out of it.

Many years ago when I was a lad of ten or eleven years, my father was the mayor of a small West Virginia town. During his tenure in office he managed to get a absent property owner to deed several hundred acres of land to the city for a park .Upon inspection of this land our one man police department discovered several acres of wild mary wanna. Now this was back in the 1950's and, believe it or not, the stuff was raised and sold to the government to make hemp. However, the war was over and the stuff grew wild. Jerry. our cop, reported that this weed, used for hemp, could also be used for less practicle purposes. It couldn't have been very strong; however, the village bought several barrels of weed killer and my Dad and I and my older brother, the cop, the town maintance crew and a couple councilmen spent a Saturday eradicating weed. I had suggested we burn it off and, oh my, did that get me a horse laugh. Even at the time I was helping spray that stuff I wasn't sure why. I only knew you could make rope out of it.

There is a big difference between hemp and the hybridized GMO marijuana sold on the street. You would have to smoke several acres of hemp to get even a slight buzz.

As I said, " It couldn't have been very strong". But the city was not taking any chances with it.

Back