• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hiccups (The Condition; Remedies; Odd Cases; Etc.)

A

Anonymous

Jack Mytton was born in 1796 at Halston, not far from Oswestry, with every advantage - a long line of famous ancestors, and heir to five fine and valuable properties. He had good looks and charm of manner, the ability to make friends easily, a keen intelligence, courage and remarkable skill with horses. He was a fine sportsman with a gun or in the saddle, and a great lover of the countryside.

Jack's father died while he was still an infant, and he was brought up by a doting mother and a gentle well-meaning tutor, the chaplain of Halston, who were quite incapable of taming his wild boisterous nature, and all his life he did exactly what he wanted, and never learnt self-control or developed any sense of responsibility. ...

One night when he was preparing for bed he had a very persistent attack of hiccups, and in order to give himself a fright to cure them, he deliberately set fire to his flannel nightshirt, and in a second was enveloped in flames. He cured his hiccups, but as a result of his burns his life was in danger for many days, but his iron constitution kept him alive. His mental condition deteriorated, however, and for weeks he was in the care of three keepers, and later constrained in a strait-jacket. ...

http://www.shropshire-promotions.co.uk/legends and people/L&P-2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Another fetish - hiccups:

We are a group comprised of men and women, straight, gay and bisexuals, old and young who found each another because of one commonality.. the hiccups! We have all had this one basic thought.. "I am the only person in the world that is turned on by hiccups!" Yet through the anonymity of the internet, we have found our way to one another.

Some call this an attraction, some call it a fetish. Whatever it is, this is a place for us to share our thoughts, feelings, sightings, stories, sound and video files about hiccups! Take a few minutes and look through the site. We have real sightings, fantasy stories and links to download real people with hiccups!

http://hiccup_lovers.tripod.com/

This link still works (after a long delay). If it fails, you can see the original homepage at the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040924103827/http://hiccup_lovers.tripod.com/

My Grandma used to rub a piece of raw bacon on our warts, then bury the bacon in a secret place. The warts did go away, although they might have done that anyway ... and we never had much success with growing stuff in our back garden ...

For hiccups, she recommended drinking a glass of water from the opposite side of the glass rim ....

Fort Bragg Officer's Hiccups, Death

Story

wral.com: 7:31 pm EST March 26, 2005

The family of a Fort Bragg officer recently back from Iraq said Capt. Terrance Wright seemed to hiccup almost constantly for weeks before he died earlier this month.

The Army said Wright died of an unknown illness shortly after returning from Iraq in February. His body was found in a Fayetteville motel room on March 2.

Wright's mother, Sandra Wright, and an aunt, Karen Wright, said Wright had been a healthy 33-year-old before he deployed to Iraq in November. It was his second tour in Iraq.

Karen Wright said she spoke to her nephew in Iraq in early February.

"He could not speak one sentence without hiccuping," she said.

Wright was seen by doctors in Germany and at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, D.C., before being sent to a doctor at Womack Army Medical Center on Fort Bragg last month, said Capt. Kevin Broadnax, an Army casualty assistance officer.

Federal privacy laws bar the Army from saying why Wright was being seen at Womack, hospital spokeswoman Shannon Lynch said.

An autopsy performed on Wright's body by Womack doctors was inconclusive, Lynch said. The hospital is waiting for the results of toxicology tests, she said.

Karen Wright said she talked to her nephew again on Feb. 17 while he was at Walter Reed. Again, he "hiccuped constantly" but didn't complain about anything, she said.

She said she next spoke to her nephew Feb. 19, when he called from Fayetteville to say he would catch a train the next day to his native Charleston, S.C.

Capt. Wright spent three days in Charleston, his mother said. He hiccuped the entire time and looked "weak in the eyes," Karen Wright said.

The officer returned to Fayetteville and checked into a motel on Feb. 24. A motel clerk said she knew Wright because he had stayed there before. She said he looked tired when she saw him last.

Karen Wright said the last time anybody reported seeing her nephew was Feb. 25, five days before his body was found.

On that day, according to Sandra Wright, a captain in his battalion said she asked her son if he was feeling all right. Capt. Wright had been sweating profusely, Sandra Wright said she was told.

Karen and Sandra Wright described Capt. Wright as a quiet, soft-spoken man who rarely complained.

"We are waiting for answers," Sandra Wright added. "We want to be able to know what happened to him."

Karen Wright said a bottle of lisinopril, a medication to lower blood pressure, was found in Capt. Wright's belongings in the motel room. The bottle indicated that the prescription was filled on Feb. 1. All 30 pills remained inside, Karen Wright said.

Capt. Wright's death follows the deaths of two North Carolina soldiers who died after returning from the Middle East and experiencing flu-like symptoms.

State epidemiologist Jeffrey Engel said the deaths of Special Forces Capt. Gilbert A. Munoz and Army Staff Sgt. Christopher L. Rogers, a reservist, were related only in their timing.

Munoz, 29, appears to have had a bacterial infection and the flu, Engel said. He died of pneumonia Feb. 9. Rogers, 37, died on Feb. 14, just two days after he began feeling ill, his wife said.

Here we go again!
Teen repellent is Ig Nobel winner

A device that repels teenagers has won the peace prize at this year's Ig Nobels - the spoof alternative to the rather more sober Nobel prizes. ...

Other winners included a US-Israeli study into how a finger up the rectum cures hiccups and a report into why woodpeckers do not get headaches.
Medicine: The Termination of Intractable Hiccups with Digital Rectal Massage, by Francis Fesmire, Majed Odeh, Harry Bassan and Arie Oliven.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5411816.stm

Another look:
Feedback
14 October 2006
NewScientist.com news service

The 2006 Ig Nobel prizes

FEEDBACK'S favourite prizes, the Ig Nobels, were handed out last week at Harvard University in a ceremony produced by the Annals of Improbable Research that featured a mini-opera, Inertia makes the world go round. ...

There are some things we are proud we have not done, one of which is exploring the new approach to stopping hiccups which scooped the medicine prize. Memory tells of folk cures that involved surprising or distracting the sufferer, and applying the prize-winning technique would certainly do that. It is memorably summarised by the identical titles of two separate papers, "Termination of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage," which earned Ig Nobel prizes for Francis Fesmire of the University of Tennessee College of Medicine and Majed Odeh of Bnai Zion Medical Center in Haifa, Israel. ...
http://www.newscientist.com/backpage.ns ... 732.200_fb

US-Israeli study into how a finger up the rectum cures hiccups

8)

*locates research paper, prints off instructions, looks around office, listens hard for hiccuping sounds* :D

Re: hiccups, all you have to do is hold your breath for a while. Do I get a prize?

gncxx said:
Re: hiccups, all you have to do is hold your breath for a while. Do I get a prize?
Hold your breath long enough, and all your problems are over! ;)

gncxx said:

No, but look in the bright side - you won't be needing the rubber glove :shock:

Another belter ... curing hiccups ...

Your customer has hiccups and is moaning about it because they're pissed ..... take half a slice of lemon, cover it with brown sugar from a paper bag sachet next to the coffee machine then put a few 'glugs' of Worcester sauce on the whole thing .... encourage your customer to not chew it if they can help it but to swallow it whole ... I've administered this old bar man's trick (that was taught to me by an older bar man) many times .. once, someone had to have to doses off of me but it works! .. another industry insider secret ;)

A Pathe News clip of showgirls trying to cure hiccups in the 60's .. ding dong !

I haven't been able to shake hiccups all day, now they're gone thanks to a woman who works in our local shop telling me to glug a pint of water to interrupt my breathing.

Glad to learn you got rid of them, but ... Had you not heard of the drinking water cure before? When I was a kid that was common knowledge and the first thing anyone with hiccups did.

NOTE: The point of the drinking water or holding your breath remedies is to lock down your diaphragm, whose spasms are the root cause of the hiccuping.

Glad to learn you got rid of them, but ... Had you not heard of the drinking water cure before? When I was a kid that was common knowledge and the first thing anyone with hiccups did.

NOTE: The point of the drinking water or holding your breath remedies is to lock down your diaphragm, whose spasms are the root cause of the hiccuping.
I'd heard of it before, just forgotten it. Another weirder one I used to make for customers when I was a barman was half a slice of lemon, brown sugar sprinkled on top then Worcester sauce splashed over it .. then it has to be swallowed whole. That one never failed except I had to do two of them for one customer once.

I'd heard of it before, just forgotten it. Another weirder one I used to make for customers when I was a barman was half a slice of lemon, brown sugar sprinkled on top then Worcester sauce splashed over it .. then it has to be swallowed whole. That one never failed except I had to do two of them for one customer once.

I've heard of that remedy, but never tried it.

If you sit down while holding your breath and bend forward at the waist to physically "clamp" your diaphragm it works even better.

One home remedy I saw, but had never heard of before, was to pull hard on your tongue. My guess is that pulling your tongue is supposed to affect the vagus nerve complex (which controls and triggers, among other things, your diaphragm and your heartbeat). A major branch of the vagus nerve complex supposedly controls your tongue movements - something I learned as the reason my late brother's impending throat cancer surgery had him frightened he might be left mute.

Last edited:

When I was a kid, a nice, grandmotherly lady told me to hold my breath, close my eyes and think about my boyfriend while counting to ten. It worked, so I still do it, including the boyfriend bit. :D

I've heard of that remedy, but never tried it.

If you sit down while holding your breath and bend forward at the waist to physically "clamp" your diaphragm it works even better.

One home remedy I saw, but had never heard of before, was to pull hard on your tongue. My guess is that pulling your tongue is supposed to affect the vagus nerve complex (which controls and triggers, among other things, your diaphragm and your heartbeat). A major branch of the vagus nerve complex supposedly controls your tongue movements - something I learned as the reason my late brother's impending throat cancer surgery had him frightened he might be left mute.
Out of interest, how did you discover the lemon/brown sugar/Worcester sauce cure for hiccups ..

I learned it in a pub I was working in in Derbyshire ..

The owner, Trevor, was making this cure for one of his customers .. he was saying he'd had a night off, gone to a different pub, got the hiccups and the barman there made it for him .. it doesn't taste as bad as you think it's going to, the trick is to swallow it without chewing it if you can.

Some time later, Trevor said the same barman came to his pub one night and also developed hiccups. Trevor dutifully made him the cure and the barman in all sincerity said "It's worked, that's amazing .. where did you learn how to do that?" .. Trevor replied "You showed me?"... so we never did get to the bottom of this cure's history.

The last time I made this cure was about 10 years ago when I was managing a restaurant in Cromer, I haven't see it fail yet.

Out of interest, how did you discover the lemon/brown sugar/Worcester sauce cure for hiccups ...

If I recall correctly, I first saw or heard about it from a bartender in northern Minnesota, circa 1973 or 1975. It might well have been the same bartender who recommended blackberry brandy and bitters for a cold.

I've had the hiccups since last night. I've tried the drinking water from the wrong side of the glass trick and the belching a lot trick but I can't shift 'em.

Has anyone got any good tips please?.

I've had the hiccups since last night. I've tried the drinking water from the wrong side of the glass trick and the belching a lot trick but I can't shift 'em.

Has anyone got any good tips please?.
Neck a shot of vinegar. Seriously. You're likely to shudder, and this can help to ease the spasm in your diaphragm which causes the hiccups.

Neck a shot of vinegar. Seriously. You're likely to shudder, and this can help to ease the spasm in your diaphragm which causes the hiccups.
I'll give it go now. Thanks man .. and if you're just pranking me? kudos. Back in a sec.

I got a case of hiccups last night having a drink with my sister and an elderly female neighbour. I asked someone to give me a scare to get rid of them. My neighbour said she'd give me a kiss. I knew it was a joke but, I'll be darned, I didn't hiccup again.

My sister recommends a pint of very cold water downed in one.

Hold your breath, pick an object in the room and focus on it as intensely as possible while holding the breath.

Works for me.

The Guinness record for longest lasting intractable hiccups belongs to the late Charles Osborne of Iowa. Following a farm accident he persistently hiccupped for 68 years.
The Curious Case of Charles Osborne, Who Hiccupped for 68 Years Straight

A 1922 accident sparked the Iowa man’s intractable hiccups, which suddenly subsided in 1990

Kevern Koskovich has fond childhood memories of walking through his hometown of Anthon, Iowa, and chatting with the friendly local who loved sitting on a bench at a major street corner.

Named Charles Osborne, the man had an unusual manner of speaking designed to conceal the sound of his constant hiccupping, recalls Koskovich, now 73. He’d had plenty of practice: Ever since an accident on June 13, 1922, Osborne had hiccupped nonstop. The condition persisted for more than six decades, only ending in 1990, a full 68 years after it began. Osborne’s plight remains the longest attack of hiccups confirmed by Guinness World Records. ...

“I was hanging a 350-pound hog for butchering,” Osborne told People magazine in 1982. “I picked it up and then I fell down. I felt nothing, but the doctor said later that I busted a blood vessel the size of a pin in my brain.” (The doctor in question, Terence Anthoney, posited that Osborne’s fall destroyed a small area in the brain stem that inhibits the hiccup response.) ...

On average, Osborne experienced 20 to 40 involuntary diaphragm spasms per minute. In total, he hiccupped an estimated 430 million times before his death in May 1991 at age 97.

Though Osborne traveled long distances to visit an array of doctors, none could find a cure. According to the Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Argus Leader, a physician at the Mayo Clinic managed to stop the hiccups by placing him on carbon monoxide and oxygen, but the treatment had a (literally) fatal flaw: namely, that Osborne couldn’t safely breathe in the poisonous gas. Instead, he had to settle for learning a breathing technique that minimized the characteristic “hic” sound, which is caused by the sudden closure of the vocal cords after an involuntary contraction. To suppress the noise, Osborne breathed in between hiccups. ...

Ali Seifi, a neurosurgeon at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio ... , theorizes that Osborne sustained a minor injury to the ribs during his 1922 accident. The lower ribs are attached to the diaphragm, a muscle between the chest and belly that contracts to create hiccups. A damaged diaphragm may have been responsible for the endless hiccupping.

Another possibility, according to Seifi, is that Osborne hit his head and had a stroke. As Diana Greene-Chandos, a neurologist at Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center, told Prevention in 2015, prolonged, painful hiccups that come out of nowhere can be a sign of a stroke, particularly when paired with symptoms such as chest pain and dizziness. ...

Per WebMD, intractable hiccups affect 1 in 100,000 people and can result in severe exhaustion and weight loss. The causes of long-lasting hiccups are wide-ranging and, in some cases, difficult to pinpoint; they include nerve damage, central nervous system disorders, alcoholism, diabetes, undergoing anesthesia and cancer. (In the 2000s, Chris Sands of Lincolnshire, England, experienced hiccups for around three years; doctors eventually concluded that a brain tumor was the culprit behind the contractions.) ...

For reasons unknown, Osborne’s hiccups suddenly stopped in 1990. He died around a year later, in May 1991, after what must have been a blissfully hiccup-free few months. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...who-hiccuped-for-68-years-straight-180980232/

Back