• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hitchcock's Belly Button—Or Lack Thereof

naitaka

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Alfred Hitchcock's navel

Today I got another one of those annoying 'Did You Know' lists of supposedly true facts. In amongst the usual stuff about swallowing spiders in your sleep and Coca-Cola originally being green was this gem:

2. Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a bellybutton.

Are they claiming he was a robot, or was grown in a tank, or something?

My second husband didn't have one either. Hernia surgery when he was a tot. That's where they opened and after the scar healed it was barely visible, but his belly button was gone too.

Re: Alfred Hitchcock's navel

naitaka said:
Are they claiming he was a robot, or was grown in a tank, or something?

He sprouted of the side of Winston Churchill.

There's something about belly buttons that makes me squeamish. Eeewww. :cross eye

I had a school-friend who had two belly-buttons! It turns out he was born with only one kidney. We lost touch after we left school and then years later there was a story about him in the local paper of how he had become very ill and his mother gave him one of her own kidneys. There are some beautiful things in this world, but I don't think anything can compare with a parents love for their child and the sacrifice they'll make.

Spooky angel said:
There's something about belly buttons that makes me squeamish. Eeewww. :cross eye
It's the word 'belly-button' I can't stand. It just seems stuck in infantile-mode.

Ok, I hate navels then. They still make me squeamish no matter what you want to call them! Especially "outties" (sp?). :cross eye

slit

Sometimes surgery will obscure... navels. So will obesity.

Omphalos

I prefer the Greek Omphalos...
it reminds me of Phillip Henry Gosse, the inventor of the Aquarium...
he was a christian naturalist,
back in the days when Darwin was pointing out that there had been millions of years of species fossilised in the rock.
far older than the book of Genesis allowed for...
Gosse came up with the theory of Omphalos.
If Adam was created with a belly button, although he came not from womb of woman,
then God had created that belly button as evidence of a past that did not exist...
therefore the fossils were symbols of an invented past also.
It is valid to study fossils, as they are symbols created by God...
but the history they represent are as false as Adam's bellybutton.

story

Dammit, I know I've read it before. It was in print. It said that Alfred Hitchcock's favorite movie was SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT.

I want confirmation!

Ever heard of this? From the Alfred Hitchcock FAQ here:

http://nextdch.mty.itesm.mx/~plopezg/Kaplan/Hitchcock.html

Did Hitchcock have a belly button?

Believe it or not but I get this question all the time. Answer: Hitchcock being a mamal had to be born with a belly button, its just how it is for us mamals. Apparently Hitchcock had several opperations in the belly area leading his doctors to sew up the bb, but I have never read this from a credible printed source. I suspect its an bizarre urban legend.

My brother doesn't have a belly-button. Apparently it's due to his numerous operations rather than being one of Satan's butt-nuggets, but I'm still not convinced.

My mother too is navelly-challenged due to an emergency operation on a strangulated hernia.

Loads of peeps have missing navels because of operations, as I can testify having nursed them. ;)

Other missing body parts cause far more trouble.........:eek:

My mother is lacking a navel too because of a umblicial hernia operation. It's a very disconcerting thing to see the first time.

Not really relevant to the topic but islamic myth has it that the devil onseeing the first human made by God spat on it in disgust. God quickly acted and tore out the contaminated flesh, hence the navel.

Another pointless aside regarding navels, i was told that midwives took more care when cutting the umblical cords of baby girls because it was expected they would be showing them more (bikinis etc.) whereas with boys they didn't care as much.......this is probably complete rubbish but I don't know any women who have 'outies' as compared to 'innies'.

And yes, it is odd that Eve has a navel...........

Not really relevant to the topic but islamic myth has it that the devil onseeing the first human made by God spat on it in disgust. God quickly acted and tore out the contaminated flesh, hence the navel.

Another pointless aside regarding navels, i was told that midwives took more care when cutting the umblical cords of baby girls because it was expected they would be showing them more (bikinis etc.) whereas with boys they didn't care as much.......this is probably complete rubbish but I don't know any women who have 'outies' as compared to 'innies'.

And yes, it is odd that Eve has a navel...........

Does anybody have a source for this 'Islamic myth'?

I've never heard it before now, but I'm rather taken with it as a pointless scrap of folklore!

Does anybody have a source for this 'Islamic myth'?
If anyone would have an answer to that non-rhetorical question, it would be the fascinating Youtuber 'Apostate Prophet' himself (in fact, if asked, he might well give a direct answer).

I am disturbed by many of the odder aspects of Islam- this well-informed summary of Satan's alleged actions sets the tone worryingly-well...

Since I mentioned hospital patients' lack of navels to surgery, mine too has departed in the same way. No mystery.

I used to be able to make myself need a wee by putting my finger in my belly button and wiggling my nail about inside it. I don't know why but that doesn't work anymore (or when exactly it stopped working).

I used to be able to make myself need a wee by putting my finger in my belly button and wiggling my nail about inside it. I don't know why but that doesn't work anymore (or when exactly it stopped working).

Your much abused belly button is calling your bluff and will soon be making you wee.

Back