• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Houseplants Are Good For You

GNC

King-Sized Canary
This issue's Mythconceptions asks the poser: are houseplants good for you? Does a plant in the bedroom do you the power of good because it increases the oxygen? Or would the only way that would make a difference if you had a Canadian Redwood in the bedroom?

This issue's Mythconceptions asks the poser: are houseplants good for you? Does a plant in the bedroom do you the power of good because it increases the oxygen? Or would the only way that would make a difference if you had a Canadian Redwood in the bedroom?

Quite prepared to believe that having one in a room is 'good for you', but I'm not sure that oxygen comes into it.

Being around living things, especially things that you can see grow and develop and that can be nurtured, is generally beneficial for your mental well-being.

Quite prepared to believe that having one in a room is 'good for you', but I'm not sure that oxygen comes into it.

Being around living things, especially things that you can see grow and develop and that can be nurtured, is generally beneficial for your mental well-being.

I heartily agree with that. :)

What Yith said :)

wasn't there some evidence that some plats absorb or convert a nasty into a nice? maybe spider plants?

I'd love to have a few plants around the place, but when I have...they've usually died.
I'm not into tending to plants, I guess.

What Yith said :)

wasn't there some evidence that some plats absorb or convert a nasty into a nice? maybe spider plants?
From no less a scientific authority than NASA:

Wikipedia said:
The NASA Clean Air Study[1] was led by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in association with the Associated Landscape Contractors of America (ALCA). Its results suggest that certain common indoor plants may provide a natural way of removing toxic agents such as benzene, formaldehyde and trichloroethylene from the air, helping neutralize the effects of sick building syndrome.

The first list of air-filtering plants was compiled by NASA as part of a clean air study published in 1989,[2][3][4] which researched ways to clean air in space stations. As well as absorbing carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen, as all plants do, these plants also eliminate significant amounts of benzene, formaldehyde and trichloroethylene. The second and third lists are from B. C. Wolverton's book[5] and paper[6] and focus on removal of specific chemicals.

NASA researchers suggest efficient air cleaning is accomplished with at least one plant per 100 square feet of home or office space. Other more recent research has shown that micro-organisms in the potting mix (soil) of a potted plant remove benzene from the air, and that some plant species also contribute to removing benzene.[7]

I have an Easter-flowering succulent in the bedroom, except this Easter it didn't flower. Maybe because it's been so cold this year? Anyway, I'm keeping it just in case.

Usually such plants require a cold period with reduced water intake to promote flowering. Have you been watering it more than usual?

I have an Easter-flowering succulent in the bedroom, except this Easter it didn't flower.
Ask for your money back.

I think tending plants is good for the mental well-being, but I don't have any evidence to back up that assertion.

Back