• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

how did he do that?

tilly50

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Odd thing happened the other night. I was walking along a footpath (quite well lit, unmade) towards the road on which I live. It was still,chilly and damp. A man walking briskly came past me and went on ahead. He was dressed distinctively in a dinner suit but wearing tan leather gloves and a camel coloured scarf. He was carrying some wine in a Tescos cardboard carrier and another "up-market" carrier bag that looked like it was from a designer clothes shop.
He carried on in full vision and turned right down another footpath to go down a flight of steps to another road. When I reached the turning he was out of sight, I was not surprised at this as once half way down the steps you cannot be seen from the top.
I carried on to the junction with my road and turned right. There just a few yards ahead of me was the same man! He was dressed the same, was walking in the same manner and carrying the same carriers. There is absolutly no way that he could have got there without passing me at a run and it would have been impossible for anyone to have gotton through the gardens (one of them mine) without leaving traces of hedge debris all over them.
Of course there could have been two men dressed the same off to some function or other, but I was sure that nobody passed the top of the lane going along the road before I reached it as I had a clear view all the time.
There were no other pedestrians about at the time.
I watched as he continued down the road and down out of sight around a corner. I considered the idea of following him but I had some heavy shopping and it was cold so I went in through my gate, left wondering if what I had seen was weird or not.

Even if it was two similarly-dressed men it's still a very weird coincidence.

It could be the Cosmic Joker going in for performance art...

Presumably the guy still had the wine and designer clothes bag?

Could you have been mistaken about his right turn? Could he have turned to the right briefly, thought better of it, then dashed across to take the opposite way, which was the way you subsequently went? Maybe you were engrossed in thoughts of holidays and presents or somesuch and didnt notice this?

The turn to the right is down hill leading to some steep steps. I could see him going down the path for a few yards before he disappeared from view.
As I was on my own in a fairly lonely place I was keeping alert for people around me and watchful for cars that can sometimes use the path as a turning point.
The second time I saw him I took time to note his appearance as he passed under a street light, he had the same coloured gloves and scarf and the same carriers in the same hand (left) as when I saw him when he had overtaken me before.
I can only think that there had been two men going to the same event (they were both heading in roughly the samae direction) who had both been shopping in the same stores, odd eh? I only wish that I had been able to see the second mans face, then I could have been sure.

sure enough sounds like the 'going in different directions' twins.
They're always at it... one going this way. the other going...well you get
the picture.

What if your man there was a time traveller and thought..."I'm late for this party.. I'll just cheat a little"

Back