• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How long would you stay...

escargot1 said:
We've just lost our big dog, at the age of nearly 14. :(
I will certainly be calling on him to protect me from spooks in future.

A couple of days after I posted that, I *saw* the recently-deceased dog walking past me, reflected in a glass door. :D

A couple of days after I posted that, I *saw* the recently-deceased dog walking past me, reflected in a glass door

I find that comforting, though I am very sorry, Escargot.

I lived in a place for a year which had a horrible atmosphere. Perpetual 'brown out', though I wouldn't say haunted. I did 'see' my mother getting into bed one night when she was in hospital, though that was not scary. I lived there, but didn't 'enjoy' it.

A lot would depend on the atmosphere - as another poster said, if it was violent poltergeist activity, that would not only be alarming but an utter pain, because you would probably end up sleep deprived.
But some people seem to live happily in allegedly haunted houses.

I think most people can sense the 'atmosphere' of places. There's a lot of stories around about people house-hunting, and liking or not liking certain houses. (And some being nope nope nope). So I am not sure I would ever end up in a place where my nerves stood up and screamed.

Thank you for your kinds words, Fanari_Lloyd. :)

One hears of haunted houses which eventually have owners or tenants who aren't spooked, either because they're not afraid when the ghosts perform or because no more performances are forthcoming.

I'd be most disappointed if my new home were suddenly unhaunted after I'd paid out all that money. :evil:

It is very hard to lose pets, Escargot. I always say I won't have another one, but of course I always do.

Oh, kind of tangentially related to dogs and hauntings, when my stepfather died my mother got a puppy, (which we have now as she is in sheltered housing and they don't allow dogs or cats) she would let him in her bedroom, and he'd sleep on the end of the bed. One night (when he was about 6 months old) he woke her up growling in a bloodcurdling fashion. She was alone and obviously flashed straight into terrified 'alert' mode, listening for any noise of intruders, but nothing.

He was still growling and she saw (streetlight outside) he was looking up at the top of the wardrobe. This was more puzzling if less scary, and so she turned the lamp on and he had apparently been staring at a hatbox. Maybe he woke up, saw the shape and decided it was a threat. But he looked, she said, completely embarrassed, and started wagging his tail and fawning. (She did check up there in case he had seen a mouse or something, but there was nothing there).

He's a complete billy, (which is his name) but at least I know he'll guard against hatboxes.

either because they're not afraid when the ghosts perform or because no more performances are forthcoming.

I'd be most disappointed if my new home were suddenly unhaunted after I'd paid out all that money.

I get property emails through every day (wishful thinking) and out of curiosity, I do read to see if any are advertised as haunted - none are, though some look likely! Is that standard? I vaguely recall reading that in some places the realtors/agents are obliged to tell prospective buyers if they ask, (I'm thinking Hong Kong, but I could be wrong) but otherwise, is it seen as an absolute no-no when selling?

My family knew some people years ago whom moved from a fairly modern place to a 17th century house, black-and-white, rambling, hidden stairs, the works. Their teenage kids set up tape recorders in the rooms and would run them at night or if the family was out, hoping to catch voices or noises, as the previous owners had told them it was haunted - which didn't bother the adults.

Nothing. And it did look as if it should be host to at least one ghost. Their kids were pretty disappointed. As far as I know, they never saw or heard a thing all the years they were there.

We'll shortly be moving into a 17th century farmhouse. I'm gonna be soooo pissed off if its not haunted.

Just re-read my post from 3 years ago. Old Grandad's ghost has finally moved on and we've not had a spectral cat jump on the bed for ages. :(

I guess he wasn't our cat but a neighbors. We just showed him kindness when his "owners' used to kick him out on cold nights even though he was ancient.

I used to love how our cats would just look up when he came in the cat door and let him sleep near the fire. (when he was alive and when he was dead)

Back