• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How To Become Invisible

Semyaz said:
Apparently samarai have/ had the ability to become invisible, or at least seem or appear invisible

That must be how they managed to defeat the invading Westerners so easily....NOT. :)

Well, from what I've gathered the art of Ninjitsu has been somewhat overhyped - possibly the only historical case of a ninja's "invisible infiltration" involved them dressing up as a girl and seducing a high-up guy, strangling him in his bed chamber. So only figuratively invisible - ie. not obviously a ninja assassin.

Samurai & ninja are very different animals. Invisibility might have been practised by the latter, but samurai were usually more direct than that.

Also, isn't this thread about not being seen rather than being actually transparent? Issues like nakedness, showing up rain, etc, would therefore not apply.

Should we have a separate thread for 'transparency', then? Would we need to clarify the 'nakedness' issue in the first post?

FWIW, the ninja have been way over-hyped. I believe that the incident H-james refers to is the ONLY incident where a ninja proved to be effective.

Never heard of samurai being invisible. Being visible is what they were all about. People don't misbehave when the Warlord's soldiers are near-by.

How is "invisibility" defined in this duscussion anyway? Are we talking about the actual, physical inability to reflect light? Or do we mean the psychological pheonmenon such as Burroughs alleges?

Or something comepletely different?

Well, the original poster wasn't at all sure what happened, so any general not-being-seen should be fair game. Also, I read many of the posts as jokes.

So if I start a ninjas-vs-pirates thread drift will that be explicable, or is that a purely gamer meme?

uair01 said:
William Burroughs said that to make yourself invisible while walking the street - you have to see anyone before they see you. He claims that's the trick that earned him the name "El Hombre Invisibile". He also claims that he learned it from a Mafia acquaintance.

It sounds cool, but I don't think it's doable, not even as an experiment 8)

I'm not sure I understand--I tried this at lunch today, and it seemed a lot of people looked at me after I "saw" them first. Maybe it's because I'm an okay-looking youngish woman and he was a creepy old man?

Thanks y'all, lots of interesting stuff. Suppose I shouldn't expect anything less from such "fortean minds"! I liked what "slejpner" Said bout the brain seeing what it decides is there, rather than what is actually there.
Sounds like the most logical explaination. Although I can't help but wonder what part of the brain gets to decided what is actually there, and how do we know what is true?
But then it's back to the "Is the world an illusion?" question...
but I suppose it would be pretty dull if the tables were turned, and all else was stripped away, and we each lived in our own empty universe?
..But then again it doesnt take much to amuse me, I'd probably have fun trying to outrun my shadow! ..That's if it was visible?!
firefly52.
P.S Sorry if this is a tad muddled? The original reply I wrote got lost because the computer 'something or other'? decided to disconnect..
and I'm sure that piece made a little more sense? Barely tho' I'm sure!

Qestia said:
uair01 said:
William Burroughs said that to make yourself invisible while walking the street - you have to see anyone before they see you. He claims that's the trick that earned him the name "El Hombre Invisibile". He also claims that he learned it from a Mafia acquaintance.

It sounds cool, but I don't think it's doable, not even as an experiment 8)

I'm not sure I understand--I tried this at lunch today, and it seemed a lot of people looked at me after I "saw" them first. Maybe it's because I'm an okay-looking youngish woman and he was a creepy old man?
I'm certain that being nondescript in appearance would help with not being noticed.

I've found that a sure-fire way to become invisible is to stand at a busy bar, looking thirsty and holding up some paper money in an expectant manner. However, this only seems to work for me, and not for the people around me.

H_James said:
Well, from what I've gathered the art of Ninjitsu has been somewhat overhyped - possibly the only historical case of a ninja's "invisible infiltration" involved them dressing up as a girl and seducing a high-up guy, strangling him in his bed chamber. So only figuratively invisible - ie. not obviously a ninja assassin.

Years ago, I read about a Ninja assassin called Uesugi Kenshin (or something like that), who hid in a latrine pit, and speared a warlord while he was using the latrine. He then hid under the pile of dung, and was never caught.
So, that's another example of an effective Ninja.

Another facet of being invisible, when fighting, seems to be being an insurgent group who knows the local terrain well, and provide serious opposition to several large armies with huge weapons potential, but no clue.

Mythopoeika said:
H_James said:

Years ago, I read about a Ninja assassin called Uesugi Kenshin (or something like that), who hid in a latrine pit, and speared a warlord while he was using the latrine. He then hid under the pile of dung, and was never caught.
So, that's another example of an effective Ninja.

Sorry, you've got it slightly confused there. Uesugi Kenshin was a samurai warlord who was (some say) assassinated by a ninja while on the toilet. Others hold that he simply died from health problems related to his alcoholism.

Firefly.......
shot in the dark here, but have you considered that it's a tad strange that you got dressed 'modestly' during the first incident? Unless the window was wide open or you were somehow in view of the public, doesn't your manner of dressing imply that you sensed that someone else was in the room?

Abendstern said:
Firefly.......
shot in the dark here, but have you considered that it's a tad strange that you got dressed 'modestly' during the first incident? Unless the window was wide open or you were somehow in view of the public, doesn't your manner of dressing imply that you sensed that someone else was in the room?

That's just me! A tad on the "nervous and the o.c.d" side!
I was just emphasizing the point that I had stared at the bed twice, and simply hadn't seen my friend there.
But I agree that my subconscious mite have clocked her. (maybe similar to "Blind sight" I think it's called?)
Firefly52

Abendstern said:
Firefly.......

P.S Oh, and by saying that I was somewhat "modest" to get changed, I was again emphasize the point that I thoroughly scanned the room before doing so.
(and as it happened there were double decker buses that used to drive past, and the top deck was level with our flat. So yes I was somewhat 'on guard' because of that too!
See, told you I was a nervous wreck! Ha.
firefly52

Abendstern said:
Firefly.......

P.P.S... and when I say I visually scanned the room, I'm talking 'split seconds' on first entering the room (which I think is a natural thing to do?)
and the second time I had a proper ,half a second, stare at the bed once I was in the room. but just didn't see her!
firefly52

Didn't Derren Brown once do a trick where he convinced a guy that he (Derren that is, not the guy) was invisible?

barfing_pumpkin said:
Didn't Derren Brown once do a trick where he convinced a guy that he (Derren that is, not the guy) was invisible?
Yes, but the guy in question was a drama student or something, so DB could probably have convinced him that he was a tree or a bowl of soup, if he had wanted to. Not that I have a low opinion of arts students or anything...!

Actually, I saw that trick, where DB turned up in full invisible man get-up (coat, sunglasses, bandages around head), and the look on the face of the "victim" as DB unwrapped himself was one of incomprehension bordering on terror. Drama student or not, he obviously could not see Brown. It was pretty spooky stuff, and showed that the power of suggestion is not to be underestimated. Mind you, Derren Brown does occasionally give away his "secrets", so it would be interesting to see if he's given any clues as to how he did this one - it might have some relevance to this thread. As I recall, though, DB goes to some lengths to select his victims, so that he has a pretty good idea that the illusion will work as intended.

Mythopoeika said:
Years ago, I read about a Ninja assassin called Uesugi Kenshin (or something like that), who hid in a latrine pit, and speared a warlord while he was using the latrine.

This must be a popular way to kill monarchs, because an early Bohemian king was dispatched in exactly the same way. I read it in a Czech book of "Historic detective stories" as a teenager. Don't remember his name though.

And my son is reading over my shoulder ... he says : "I heard about this during my history lesson. It involved a king being dispatched with a pitchfork in his ***. But it was not about a specific person ... it was more of a joke between the serious stuff." The stuff they learn in school nowadays :roll:

No, that one's true. Scene of the 'crime' is just down the road from me, so been there a few times and researched it. Didn't mean anything at the time it was done, because it was a common punishment for fudge packers.

Sorry, non PC. They didn't have fudge in those days. ;)

uair01 said:
gncxx said:
Yeah, but if you really were invisible you wouldn't be able to see anything at all.

Burroughs didn't mean that you would be really invisible (like transparent) but that people simply wouldn't register you if you saw them before they saw you.

I've even found a nice reference to his exercise:
http://www.artdamage.com/wsb/wsb.htm

Hi Uairo1, thanks for the info re Will Boroughs, I did check it out.
Still unclear as to what one is supposed to do apon 'seeing someone first'
Unless he means 'seeing someone thirst!' I suppose a glass of water would be a great distraction! Ha, sorry, going way off track!
I wonder if once one spots someone, do they continue to stare at them, or do they quickly look away thinkink "I'm invisible! I'm invisible!"
Also as Escargo1 stated, what about the clothes?
When my pal Jeanette was invisible to me, the whole of her was invisible
Clothes and all? (Paisley pajamas at that!)
And thinking on the Derren Brown 'experiment'
I'm now thinking that maybe one is in some kind of hypnotic state of mind when certain people and thinks become invisible?
I am a bit of a day dreamer at the best of times!
...and it's often in that 'daydream state' that I've had numerous 'psychic type' experiences. ..but that's another story? (-I would be interested to hear if others have had 'psychic experiences' during the daydream state?
Prob need to start a new thread, Or seek out an old one!)
Best! F52

Peripart said:
I've found that a sure-fire way to become invisible is to stand at a busy bar, looking thirsty and holding up some paper money in an expectant manner. However, this only seems to work for me, and not for the people around me.

It is possible to have extended periods of invisibility if you stand near any 'help' (ha ha) point in any branch of the well known Swedish flat pack furniture shop with blue and yellow livery. :evil:

Peripart said:
barfing_pumpkin said:
Yes, but the guy in question was a drama student or something, so DB could probably have convinced him that he was a tree or a bowl of soup, if he had wanted to. Not that I have a low opinion of arts students or anything...!

Actually, I saw that trick, where DB turned up in full invisible man get-up (coat, sunglasses, bandages around head), and the look on the face of the "victim" as DB unwrapped himself was one of incomprehension bordering on terror. Drama student or not, he obviously could not see Brown. It was pretty spooky stuff, and showed that the power of suggestion is not to be underestimated. Mind you, Derren Brown does occasionally give away his "secrets", so it would be interesting to see if he's given any clues as to how he did this one - it might have some relevance to this thread. As I recall, though, DB goes to some lengths to select his victims, so that he has a pretty good idea that the illusion will work as intended.

Could it not be something as simple as DB and the drama student were in on the same gag/trick/etc. I mean, it was a drama student, someone who is training/learning to act (or at least trying)... ;)

firefly52 said:
uair01 said:
gncxx said:
Yeah, but if you really were invisible you wouldn't be able to see anything at all.

Burroughs didn't mean that you would be really invisible (like transparent) but that people simply wouldn't register you if you saw them before they saw you.

Hi Uairo1, thanks for the info re Will Boroughs, I did check it out.
Still unclear as to what one is supposed to do apon 'seeing someone first'
Unless he means 'seeing someone thirst!' I suppose a glass of water would be a great distraction! Ha, sorry, going way off track!
I wonder if once one spots someone, do they continue to stare at them, or do they quickly look away thinkink "I'm invisible! I'm invisible!"
Also as Escargo1 stated, what about the clothes?
When my pal Jeanette was invisible to me, the whole of her was invisible
Clothes and all? (Paisley pajamas at that!)
And thinking on the Derren Brown 'experiment'
I'm now thinking that maybe one is in some kind of hypnotic state of mind when certain people and thinks become invisible?
I am a bit of a day dreamer at the best of times!
...and it's often in that 'daydream state' that I've had numerous 'psychic type' experiences. ..but that's another story? (-I would be interested to hear if others have had 'psychic experiences' during the daydream state?
Prob need to start a new thread, Or seek out an old one!)
Best! F52

I seem to recall Barry Miles relating an anecdote about Burroughs in his book 'Beat Hotel' in which, while experimenting with scrying/inducing a hypnotic state through staring at a mirror for a prolonged period of time, Burroughs was seen to become invisible. There was another occasion where Burroughs apparently shape-shifted while in this trance state.

Whether there is any truth to this, I don't know. I imagine all parties involved were in an altered state of consciousness, whether through drug use or some form of hypnosis. I'l dig the book out later and have a look.

uair01 said:
gncxx said:

Hey there, sorry to be a bit 'Dog with a bone ish' but now I'm wondering how the 'invisible ee' knows that they havn't been seen by the 'invisible er' ? ..Coz to run back after the 'invisible er' and tap them on the shoulder and say in a really geeky voice "Er excuse me, EXCUSE ME! Er did you just see me back there??" Would sort of defeat the whole object of the exercise!! Unless of course one really was invisible, and the whole point of the exercise was to drive the 'invisible er' insane!!
think this topics driving me insane. Time for my valium!
Best! Firefly 52.

Here's that passage about William Burroughs I mentioned, from Barry Miles' history of Beat activity in Paris 1957-1963, The Beat Hotel:

"One day, in the course of a mirror-gazing session, Bill saw himself in the mirror with completely inhuman hands: thick black-pink, fibrous, long white tendrils grew from curiously abbreviated finger-tips as if the tips had been cut off to make room for the tendrils. Jerry Wallace, a twenty-year-old boy from Kansas who was sitting across the room, exclaimed, "My God, Bill! What's wrong with your hands?"
"My hands?" asked Bill.
"They are all thick and pink and something white growing out of the fingers..."
Several people commented on Bill's growing invisibility, something the Spanish boys in Tangier had noticed, which gave him the epithet El Hombre Invisible."

That's it. So maybe you can attain some level of invisibility via psychic transformation through extended periods of scrying?

This could explain a lot of things from ghosts to robberies.

A Real Invisibility Shield You Can Actually Buy​

I thought this comment below the video was particularly clever. :)

I’d like to see this tech replace shower glass doors or changing rooms or bathroom stalls.

This could explain a lot of things from ghosts to robberies.

A Real Invisibility Shield You Can Actually Buy​

I thought this comment below the video was particularly clever. :)
I once went in an underground bar which had some toilets with glass doors. When you locked the door the lighting changed so you couldn't be seen from the other side.....I couldn't work out how it worked but it did.

Back