• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hydro Simian Teleportation (Sea Monkeys)

A

Anonymous

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new batch of Sea Monkeys from a local pet shop. There are two stages to bringing these shrimps to life, firstly you add water to thier 'tank' and mix in a water purifier. Secondly, after 24 hours, you add the 'instant life' sachet which contains the eggs. I completed stage one on a Sunday evening and forgot about it for a couple of days. When I went to add the second sachet I noticed the 'tank' had sea monkeys swimming around! I left it for another couple of days, and I placed a glass of water next to the tank to check it wasn't mosquito lava. I was a bit worried about a colony of mossis in the kitchen, so I added the second sachet by way of illumination, sorry I mean illimination. So now I have more sea monkeys than I thought I would (they weren't mosquitos!) I know this is probably factory cross contamination, ot they put a few eggs in so you can see life as soon as you enter sachet 2, but maybe, just maybe.......
Anyway if you buy some sea monkeys - try it and let me know

Not too sure about whether they put a few sea monkeys into the purification packet for luck, but i definitely know that they put extra 'time release' eggs into the other packet. They do this so that when you eventually lose interest and let all the water evaporate away, you can do it all over again by refilling the water. These eggs only hatch after being dry, wet, then dry and wet a second time.

Then again, I prefer the idea that the minging little buggers teleported themselves into the water from the still sealed packet.

there are four stages to sea monkeys.....water puryfieing ,adding eggs, disapointment they dont look or do anything like advertised and death of disapointing shrimp things as you realise that the front room is too cold for them....

http://www.seamonkeyworship.com/indexfaq.htm

I so desperately wanted some of these when I was a kid but the two times I got some the eggs hatched into little white flappy things then after about two days they turned into little white floaty things :(

Curiously the website claims that the genus/species is Artemia nyos, the ones I had cira 1980 were quite sefinitely Artemia Salina.

As attractive the idea of the spontaneous generation of sea monkeys is, I'm gonna have to go with the cross contamination theory. Possibly intentional, to better ensure "success" for 10-year-old natural philosophers.

Anyhow, sea monkeys are old and busted. The new hotness is triops! Definately more impressive than some teeny-tiny brine shrimp.

I had fun with sea monkeys as a kid and would like to recommend Triops to anyone who is interested in the sea monkeys. Triops look like Trilobites seem to double their size daily and are amazingly busy things, great fun too but look really alien.

PS. do not use zinc plated anything in their water as it kills them very quickly for some reason (reacts with their green blood or so I was told?)

I liked sea monkeys as a kid, and then my niece got triops, and I thought they were cool too, but now what I really like is Beachworld. Closed ecosystems, very cool and cool looking too. check it out.

Edited because the link I originally used was garbage

At the risk of being a wet blanket i always hated the idea of sea monkeys it just semed cruel. I prefer the theory that those unfertilised monkeys psychically called upon their bretheren to save them and a passing troupe just phased in to assist. :)

EDIT:
The sphere provides a safe and predator free environment for the shrimps, enabling them to live much longer (and more hapily) than they would in their natural habitat.

Now i feel bad for not having one and helping those little chaps...

Live Sea Monkeys? Great!

I got a packet of 'Sea Monkeys,' once, as a promotion on a British 'Marvel' comic once. I was very excited, as I'd seen the adverts in American comics for years and really wanted to get some.

I did everything I was supposed to, but nothing happened.

So I never got to teach them tricks, or to feed them to some sticklebacks. :(

A. salina does sound a more likely name, as they're commonly referred to as Brine Shrimp.

Still, never had any as a kid, so couldn't tell you what they had on the label.

As for the time-release eggs: are you sure they weren't actually eggs laid by the shrimp themselves? The brine shrimp has a somewhat speedy life cycle, as they mainly inhabit brackish water in non-permanent salt lakes in the middle of the Australian desert. Hence their ability to lie dormant for years waiting for water.

Beachworld looks like fun, especially if it does keep going as an enclosed environment. (Remember terraria? And how you actually had to top them up from time to time?) Although what the "NASA formula" the spheres are made to is, I'd like to know. (I wasn't aware NASA had a patent on making things round.)

Ah, so those are triops.
And here's me thinking that some of my cybermats had got loose...

anome said:
Beachworld looks like fun, especially if it does keep going as an enclosed environment. (Remember terraria? And how you actually had to top them up from time to time?) Although what the "NASA formula" the spheres are made to is, I'd like to know. (I wasn't aware NASA had a patent on making things round.)

The closed cycle environments were originally created for NASA as a shuttle experiment on plant growth in zero gee or shrimp swimming in zero gee, or something. Same with the ant farm thingy, as the gel apparently doesn't compact during acceleration like normal ant farm mediums (sand, dirt, mulch etc).

Blimey, a long time between post and response, I hadn't noticed! I like Beachworld, that looks great. Hey BlackRiverFalls, notice the no zinc warning for the triops - isn't it gold dust for the cybermats? My sea monkeys are thriving, they sit in the kitchen next to the venus fly trap, which traps as many flys as my monkeys eat banannas!!

I had an ant farm (home made) when I was a nipper, but one day I knocked it over and the ungrateful little egits all ran away and hid in every corner of the kitchen :(

I always wanted sea-monkeys, but after the ant incident was allowed them :(

Now I hanker after a venus fly trap.

Jane.

I've got some sea-monkeys in their 'tank' on the shelves over my computer. The first time I started some off, I had some hatch from the 'purifier' (I think it's really a salt mix to give the degree of brackishness/salinity for them to hatch, live and breed). I didn't notice anything this time round, mainly as I wasn't looking.
I fancy trying my hand at raising Triops, and Beachworld looks kewl.:D

Hooray!:D
My Seamonkeys are pregnant.
*hands out cigars*
Not bad considering I went down to having only one swimming around (I forgot to feed them after the first 5 days, in my defence I had a lot on my mind at the time:eek: )

Congratulations, I could weep. I've got a little sea monkey city on my hands, (well, not on my hands that would just be pychosis) in my tank! I've got the 'on Mars' tank, it's fab, they get the opportunity to practice idolitary cos there's a little Charlton Heston Planet of the Sea Monkeys statue in there for them. (I may have over stated that) *puff puff, hmmm Cuban*

Back