• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hypnagogic Voices

TheBeast17

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Not sure if this is in the right place but couldn't think of where else to put it, so here goes:

I regularly hear my name being called, when I am alone. The voice is never shouting, but is always loud and very clear, though I can never tell if the voice is male or female. It is so clear that I have answered it on a number of occasions, thinking that someone has arrived and is calling me.

My mum hears her name being called, exactly as I do, though she insists that the voice she hears is female.

Does anyone else hear this sort of thing, or am I (and my Mum) simply mad?

Yup, have known this happen but usually when suffering
lack of sleep. It is the most common type of auditory
hallucination.

Nothing to worry about, if it's just your name. If it goes
on to tell you France needs you to lead her to victory, don't
listen or you could get your fingers burned . . .:cool:

name calling

I get that often too, late at night and only when I'm alone.
The same thing too- can't tell who's voice it is, kind of quiet, can't tell if it's male or female. I've read about this before, so it's not only us! -Nikita

I'd suggest this might be caused as a result of tinnitus (which is a symptom of blockage / disturbance of the ear - usually the middle- or inner- ear [jokes as required...]) Tinnitus manifests as basically a load of odd noises, which, if quiet and infrequent, can sometimes be interpreted by the brain as familiar voices.

On the other hand, it could be the onset of schizophrenia (although I seriously doubt it!) The thing with schizophrenia is that the voice you hear is almost always your own...

I've found that I am sometimes able to willingly 'hear' vocal sounds when It's very quiet and late. If I stay very still and half-concentrate/ half-ignore it, I get what sound like snatches of voices. I can never make out what they say, if anything. The unusual thing is that they aren't the same as thinking about a voice, they really do sound external. I'm sure that they do originate from my mind, but by this half-concentration thing, I seem to be able to 'project' them...

I do associate the phenomenon with tiredness and I notice two
other references to the lateness of the hour and bedtime.

Some people are said to see a succession of faces as they drift
into sleep.

We do seem to be able to people the quiet and the darkness. It
would only become a problem if they invaded our attention at
other times. :eek:

Cheers, that makes me feel a whole lot better.

It probably is the onset of Schizophrenia, or some such problem, as my mother hears it too, so heredity is probably an issue.

Nikita, where have you read about this? I've looked it up (half-heartedly, admittedly) and didn't find anything, and I'd really like to know about it.

I have an uncle that suffers from Tinitus caused by theoveruse of heavy machinery, and he reports hearing strange sounds, but never voices......

Actually I'll stop there, I'm making my family out to look like the owners of the Bates Motel.

Coming Mother.......!

Me too!

I have also experienced hearing my name called, often waking me up from sleep. Subsequently I also came on references to this being a symtom of schizophrenia... (Well, I have so many problems, what's another one!)

Today I had a completely new experience for me, which may or may not be related to this topic. I have been suffering from sleep problems, so that I often have to lie down and snooze in the daytime. This happened this morning, and I just lay on the floor with a cushion under my head. Feeling very sleepy, I was enjoying watching the strange moving patterns that form behind one's closed eyelids, because I seemed to have found a particularly interesting series. Suddenly the image disappeared - it appeared to slide sideways, accompanied by a very audible and almost cartoonish Z-i-i-i-p noise (or I thought it was audible). The image was replaced by a much more boring one.

The impressive thing about this to me was the conjunction of a 'real' noise with the removal of the fascinating image, and also that I've not experienced anything similar in my 55 years on this planet.

the voices, the voices!!!!

THis is not always to do with it being late at night or feeling tired. I work part time in a dog kennels, and at about 10am as i was cleaning one of the isolation blocks i heard the voice of a small child laughing. I knew which direction the voice was coming from, but of course there was no one there. Figure that one out!!!! :p

August who?

(There's an August Rock in the Helford River, is that any help?)

:rolleyes:

i sometimes get that
ive heard thats the devil calling you;)

The Beast said:
Nikita, where have you read about this? I've looked it up (half-heartedly, admittedly) and didn't find anything, and I'd really like to know about it.

I'm sorry, I just can't remeber, try looking in indexes of various paranormal books. A book title of where I've read it just won't come to me!

August - I used to occassionally hear background noise as snatches of words as a kid - in the middle of the day. Never frightened me in the least - it was obviously an auditory hallucination.

If it happened to me again though it'd probably freak me out.

If it helps, I've experienced this all my life, along with a voice constantly asking me "Are you ready?". I was told by a doctor (I heard the schizophrenia thing too!) that it's a sypmtom of "perceptual tagging" - you hear a noise your brain can't identify, so it immediately tags it's similarities to noises you hear commonly - eg, your name, laughter, etc. It's more common amongst people with neurologically based hearing problems.

Odd Sound

This afternoon, I had an odd experience...

Driving home along Cambridge Heath Road here in East London, I was suddenly faced with a police car, with lights flashing, but no siren, hurtling down the wrong side of the road towards me. Me and my Vespa pulled over very quickly, and the car zoomed past, the bobby driving giving me a wave.

I carried on, but moments later I heard a the sirens of an ambulance behind me. I looked behind and there it was, so I again pulled over, and the ambulance passed me at great speed.

Somewhat alarmed, i set off again. As i did so, I heard a "bleep... BLEEP". distinctly from inside my head, that is, it appeared not to come from an external source. It sounded like the noise made by an 80s videogame, just two crude electronic notes, one high and one low.

I should point out that my Vespa is 26 years old and has quite a noisy engine. With that and my helmet, it's very hard to hear anything other than, say, a siren or another loud engine when moving.

I tried all sorts of head waggles to replicate the sound but I couldn't. It definately sounded electronic, and I wondered if it could be somehow connected to the two emergency service vehicles I encountered, which presumably are brimming with transmitting equipment!

Incidentally, I've heard stories of people picking up radio transmissions on hearing aids (I don't wear one) and even through their fillings. If it helps, I've got a mouth full of metal, and one of them is loose, and I was also wearing glasses!

Many emergency vehicles, some of them unfamiliar, are suddenly
on the streets of Manchester. Presumably exercises connected
with the security alert?

Various experiments have been carried out to improve the
directionality, if that is a word, of sirens.

But one located in the head! Mind you alarms have been going
off in many heads this week.

:confused:

hmm.

Yesterday on my way home from work I distictly heard the whirr-clunk of hydrollics a second later I heard the sound of jet engines.

My first thought was "low flying aircraft approaching :eek!!!!: seek cover!" Looking around (for 5 secs) I saw, about a half klick way, a large military looking aircraft in siloette, heading in the vague direction of the airport at Kidlington, but it was flying awfully low.

Golly was I embarrassed as I picked myself out of the gutter ;)

(sorry for poor spelling - my universal spellchecking CD is not to hand)

Niles

Sounds like an auditory hallucination to me zygmunt. If the problem persists I'd be inclined to seek medical attention, particularly if it causes you anxiety...

Thanks for the advice. My first thought was that it could be some sort of "auditory hallucination", in fact, I've been having trouble with me left lug'ole for a while... should've thought of that sooner! I definately know what I heard though!

Mine is in my eyes...

Yesterday at school, I looked up quickly and I got slow motion blur. Ya'know that glitch in games which makes a peice of scenery move with the camera...well it was like that. Everything blur in a straight diagonal line to the direction I had looked up from. I tried to replicate the effect but to no avail...freaked me out, the fact that our brains are the most sophisticated and fastest computers we know of, you'd think MicroSoft would've ironed out the glitchy crease...

Re: Mine is in my eyes...

-Oracle- said:
Yesterday at school, I looked up quickly and I got slow motion blur. Ya'know that glitch in games which makes a peice of scenery move with the camera...well it was like that. Everything blur in a straight diagonal line to the direction I had looked up from. I tried to replicate the effect but to no avail...freaked me out, the fact that our brains are the most sophisticated and fastest computers we know of, you'd think MicroSoft would've ironed out the glitchy crease...
Normaly, when you look quickly from one point to onother, your brain will make you blink to cut out this effect.
In your case there must have been a temporary short circuit.:eek!!!!:

So your saying...

What...I'm not human...I'm A.I. or something...urgh...how terrible that would be, to find out that you were a machine after spending most of your life thinking you were organic...

***SYSTEM DIAGNOSTIC IN PROGRESS***
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
72% COMPLETE>>>

ALT:/ZXY-DIAG/PLAY><SEQ>
PRG:/IQ>180+:<A.I.>
MALP:/PRG/FILE/VBA5481
SERIAL NUMBER FOR THIS UNIT: DEC0685-#001
***SYSTEM DIAGNOSTIC COMPLETED***

...So as I was saying...it would be awful to find out that you were a machine...made in a lab...creepy...

:blah: :D :eek!!!!:

...But if it is...

But if it is The Matrix, crazy as it is its not impossible, where is Trinity?

If she's there I really coudn't give two hoots about anything else!:D :p

Would there be a difference between being an artificial creature that was ignorant of its own origins and truly believed itself human and being human? As long as you can remember the unicorn you're probably fine.

Heh, Oracle's obviously not seen the director's cut...

The noises could be a form of tinnitus, which can be alarming but is perfectly harmless. I get a lot of this at night so I leave the World Service on. More annoyingly, I find that piercing high-pitched noises usually set off similar sounds in my ears for a minute or two afterwards. My hearing has been tested and it's above-average so I'm not worried. Tinnitus can sound like almost anything from rushing water to electronic screeches. It will only worry me if I start hearing words, which are a different kettle of fish!:)

Back