• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I Never Thought I Was Pregnant Till...

A

Anonymous

From today's Bristol Evening Post-

IT WAS JUST ANOTHER NIGHT OUT - A FEW VODKAS, GOT DRUNK, GAVE BIRTH
More News | Back to home page

11:00 - 21 July 2004
It Started as a night out for a few drinks and ended with the birth of the child Kim Gratton didn't even know she was carrying. Kim, 23, from Horfield, thought she was suffering a hangover after a boozy Saturday night, but the suspected stomach cramps and nausea turned out to be labour pains.

She is now getting over the shock following the birth of her son, who she had no idea even existed, even though she was 38 weeks pregnant when she went into labour on Sunday morning after her night out.

The medical lab assistant had been taking the contraceptive pill and had thought the bit of extra weight she had put on was down to an increase in the amount of ice cream she was eating - something she now realises was pregnancy cravings.

Kim said doctors told her it is not uncommon for women to give birth having been unaware of the pregnancy.

She said: "My periods were not regular anyway so I didn't notice anything different."

Kim and her partner, 31-year-old postman Simon Bloom, said that now they are over the shock, they are delighted with baby Christopher even though they had not so much as a nappy in the house.

Babies were the last thing on the couple's mind when they headed off to a vodka bar in the centre of Bristol on Saturday evening before stumbling home at 1.30am.

At 4am, Kim woke with what she believed were the symptoms of a bad hangover. However she started to bleed so she woke Simon to call an ambulance and they were taken to casualty at Southmead Hospital.

It was there that doctors told Kim - who was meant to turn up for work at the very same hospital on Monday - she was about to give birth. A few hours later she did just that and Christopher James Bloom was born at 7lb 15oz.

He has been proclaimed fit and healthy by medics.

Simon said: "It was just mad. The doctor said to us that not only was Kim pregnant, but that she would be having her baby that day.

"She was 38 weeks pregnant and eight centimetres dilated - which is only two centimetres away from starting to give birth.

"From then on, everything just seemed to be out of control.

"A couple of hours later I was looking at my son and it was unbelievable. Where most people have months to get to grips with these things, we've only had a couple of days.

"We decided to call him Christopher after St Christopher, the patron saint of travellers, because he has managed to get himself here with no help.

"If you'd asked either of us last week if we had wanted to have children now, both of us would have said 'no'. But just seeing Christopher's face makes me feel incredible and we wouldn't change it for the world."

Story here.

We decided to call him Christopher after St Christopher, the patron saint of travellers, because he has managed to get himself here with no help

the poor lad is going to need plenty of divine help in future - his wee brain'll be fried by the daft bitch's apparently continuous drinking during pregnancy.

Stupid, stupid woman.

But she didn't KNOW she was pregnant. Though it is of course unfortunate for the kid.

What makes you think her drinking was continuous?

Weird that women can be pregnant and not know! This is practically Fortean news!

Min Bannister said:
But she didn't KNOW she was pregnant.
Yeah, that is kind of the point, isn't it?
Min Bannister said:
Weird that women can be pregnant and not know! This is practically Fortean news!
It is now!

few years ago there was a local girl (17) who gave birth in the coal shed..she maintianed she hadnt known she was pregnant and indeed had been working as a swimwear model a week erlier!

I'm sure I was watching a TV program once (can't remember what) where a woman gave birth unexpectedly in a supermarket. I don't think she knew she was pregnant either. It was caught on CCTV, you just saw a bulge suddenly appear in her leggings..hmm.

My friend had no idea she was pregnant until she was 7 months into the pregnancy. She was still having periods and only had slight stomach pains, it can happen.

However, a few of these cases may be where the woman (perhaps a very young girl) is in total denial about the whole thing and will not even admit it to herself while still disgusing the pregnancy.

Considering I am pregnant, and how shite I feel as a result, it's amazing that women don't notice something.
I think that actually they do, but either put it down to other things or just choose to ignore certain signs.

Messalina said:
My friend had no idea she was pregnant until she was 7 months into the pregnancy. She was still having periods and only had slight stomach pains, it can happen.

yep a work mate of my wifes did exactly the same... she has a bounceing baby boy now most unexpectedly!

StellaBoulton said:
The medical lab assistant had been taking the contraceptive pill and had thought the bit of extra weight she had put on was down to an increase in the amount of ice cream she was eating - something she now realises was pregnancy cravings.

A bit of weight? Most pregnant women i've seen look like they've ingested a space-hopper. Is it possible that the weight gain would be so slight - surely the basic weight of the child would be noticiable? Ladies? 7lb 15oz?

Could be the reporting but this story doesn't portray the couple as the sharpest tools in the box...

I don't know though, if you were still having your periods...

I mean thats traditionally the first sign isn't it? When they stop?

I'm a bit confused that the woman in the story said hers were irregular (so irregular its normal not to have one in nine months??). Especially when she's on the pill, that should make her regular?

Min Bannister said:
But she didn't KNOW she was pregnant. Though it is of course unfortunate for the kid.

What makes you think her drinking was continuous?

*reads opening post again*

Oh, you're right, it does just recite the one drinking episode.

Either way I'm tempted to conclude she's dumber than a box of hair.

Well, if she was in a Bristol city centre vodka bar she must have more money than sense, certainly..

Ha, that'll soon change ;)...

Sorry Stella. Still I guess you don't go to them either.. £3 a pint? get out of here...

£3 for a pint of vodka?!?!

Where is this bar, nay, this oasis in the desert?

You just know it was Vodka Revolution, don't you!
If I was going to pick a pub to drop in, it would have to be the Hatchet, just for the comedy value.

Sorry everyone, as you were...

Styx - I wish! £3 for Fosters.. grim!

Stella - Just had to be! And yes, The Hatchet would be the only place (for the non-plussed - very large, unbelievably camp gay pub indeed)...

And yes, now back to the topic...

The Yithian said:
A bit of weight? Most pregnant women i've seen look like they've ingested a space-hopper. Is it possible that the weight gain would be so slight - surely the basic weight of the child would be noticiable? Ladies? 7lb 15oz?

Could be the reporting but this story doesn't portray the couple as the sharpest tools in the box...

Usually the woman puts on a lot of weight but it's not always that way. I once read in the newspaper about a young girl, 17 I belive, who was pregnant and didn't know it until the birth. They had pictures of her in a bikini at 8 months pregnant and you couldn't see a thing. She was a skinny girl, too, but her tummy was flat as a board. The explanation the the text was that it's possible for the womb to be pressed back against the spine and so "hide" the big belly.

Could you imagine the boyfriends reaction if he wasn't with her that weekend, and turned up on Monday morning, to find a knackered woman, in a dressing gown at 2 in the afternoon holding a screaming baby in her arms.

Hi honey, I'm home

Hi honey. Remember 38 weks ago when we got drunk and...:eek!!!!:

Chigrima said:
The explanation the the text was that it's possible for the womb to be pressed back against the spine and so "hide" the big belly.

The condition is called "tipped uterus," and more reports like this are surfacing since the Internet came into being.

Tipped uterus was once thought uncommon, but the doctor in the story was right -- not anywhere near as uncommon as people had believed.

The Yithian said:

i think that a particularly weight-concious woman would notice a change of 8lb in her own weight, but i certainly wouldn't and i doubt anyone would notice it on anyone else. of course in pregnancy there is all the amniotic fluid etc to take into account as well but to answer your question i think that many women wouldn't notice 8lbs either way. i don't even know my weight to an accuracy of half a stone.

"few years ago there was a local girl (17) who gave birth in the coal shed..she maintianed she hadnt known she was pregnant and indeed had been working as a swimwear model a week erlier!" (Sidecar Jon)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Oh! How strange! I was down in your neck-o-the-woods on my holidays at the time*, and I remember buying the local paper specifically to read that cos I thought it was unbelievable, and have had reason to quote the story since, as-:

Last year myself, my brother and a couple who are mutual friends had booked a weekd holiday in Cornwall*. Four weeks before we were due to leave it was my brothers b-day, and we did the traditional and all got rolling drunk together. Three weeks before we were due to leave, we had a phone call from said couple telling us they were expecting a baby. Oh my God!! we said "Whens it due?"

"Erm.... any minute now"

She had been on this Atkins diet, lost a stone in the last month, and had regular periods. She went to the doctor only because she was feeling a bit 'bloated' (?!!!), and an hour later they were at the hospital looking at their 8lb 3 baby girl on a monitor, that had been due the day before!!!

She was induced and a healthy bouncing baby girl was produced a week later.

(Bloody terrifying if you ask me..... I'm tempted to do a pregnancy test everday now, lest the same thing happens to me and puts the mockers on me weekend.....)

P.S. I should add, that the woman in question is naturally, umm...'generously proportioned'.

*Yep, I'm an emmet (sp?)
:(

This is terrifying, as I have what almost amounts to a phobia regarding pregnancy/having children. Not giving birth, which women do all the time, and which is a normal activity, although agonising, but just the thought of having children, perhaps it's the sense of being trapped into a particular lifestyle, or the responsibility, but the ' motherhood ' instinct not only passed me by, but was replaced by a kind of primal horror. ( I'm not a mad child hating bitch, I love my nephews and neices dotingly, and worry myself sick that they're ' safe ' in this day and age )
During my most ' fertile ' years, I just imposed celibacy on myself, as I didn't trust any contraceptive, I just wanted to be a woman who was infertile and could never, ever conceive. So stories like this touch a very deep-rooted fear. I used to be terrified I was pregnant when there was no way under the sun I could have been unless aliens had abducted me and done something :rolleyes:
Even just the other week I was convinced I had all the symptoms of pregnancy, although due to the contraceptive I'm on the chances were virtually nil ( my doctor said, do a pregnancy test - but it will be negative ).
I didn't need to read this thread, did I?
And just off topic, why do I get such grief from relatives, friends and even strangers, who think a womans duty is to have children and I'm odd and un-natural?
Leave me alone. :(

Slightly off-topic, not sure where to put this... there was a fairly disturbing story in the paper here recently (don't remember if it happened here or elsewhere), a 15-year old girl (v.young, anyway) gave birth unexpectedly in her backyard, once the baby was delivered her dog pounced on it... :cross eye

Lethe said:
This is terrifying, as I have what almost amounts to a phobia regarding pregnancy/having children.

Lethe: Just forget about it.
:rofl:

Sometimes i just kill myself....

edit: Sorry, just read the rest - quite a serious post - hope you don't mind the jibe.

My other half knows within days if she's up the du......sorry with child .

And just off topic, why do I get such grief from relatives, friends and even strangers, who think a womans duty is to have children and I'm odd and un-natural?

Im that way too.

And Im not even a career woman. I failed at that as well.

I don't think its unnatural not to want children. I never had the urge and honestly when i saw pregnant bellies it always frightened me a bit. Yet when i got pregnant, i was happy and i adore my daughter. I don't want anymore and people look at me funny and say "but she'll be all alone". I really don't know why people think they have to stick their noses into others fertility issues anyway. I had a woman tell me once that only selfish people didn't want to have children. I personally think its alot more selfish to inflict yourself upon children when you really aren't cut out for parenthood or worse yet to want a "baby" and really be unprepared for the actual baby becoming a child. Being a parent is very hard and a challenge daily. You are completely responsible for another human being and its not a job to take lightly, I certainly don't. If you know you don't want children then I say more power to you and the rest of those nosies can just mind their own damn business.

Only children have more fun....Look at the `little emperors` of China

I, personally think that reproduction should be up to the man...that way we would have more sports cars.

There's a saying, 'If the men had'em, there'd only be one.' :D

Back