• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I Saw And Photographed The Loch Ness Monster In 2006

Odd thread...put up or shut up I'd say. If you want to post the photo then do so, if you don't then don't. End of story.

The account is interesting, thanks. Nothing much there too astonishing. Fairly reminiscent of many other accounts of seeing things in Loch Ness. But thanks for sharing anyway.

I'd say it is next to impossible that there is a huge unknown creature living in Loch Ness. But it's a beautiful place. And they've done incredibly well making it one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world.

I'm really curious to see the photo too, but I'd say don't post the photo. Social media is so unpredictable, and even though there's probably a small chance your ex would catch wind of it, once it's on the Internet, it can go anywhere. I think it's wise to be so discrete.

That sounds like good advice to me. I would also add that the photo is likely to evoke one of two reactions from casual observers: if it is unclear, someone is bound to dismiss it for its lack of clarity. Conversely, the more distinct it is, the more likely you are to encounter accusations of photoshop or similar trickery. You have already said that you are concerned about the possible reactions - for entirely understandable reasons - and it would be remiss of us not to warn you about possible repercussions. I think you'd get a fair hearing here, but obviously once the photo is out there, it will be seen as fair game for any Tom, Dick (and I use the name advisedly) or Harriet to express their opinion.

I write the above through gritted teeth, as I am itching to see the photograph, especially after your sketch (an elegant solution, BTW, congratulations.) Whatever you decide, thank you for electing to share your account with us, I found it compelling.

The other option is to post it here for a finite period of time. Put it up for a day and then remove the photo (like we all did with pictures of ourselves). That way the interested people can see it and then you can take it down.

I like to think that those who come here on a daily basis are the serious members who will treat it and you with respect. I can't guarantee that nobody will screengrab it or take a copy but I would like to think that they will not.

Am I the only one resisting a sneaking suspicion this is a prelude to an experiment to see if and how far a hoax photo can be spread and believed online. The fearful anonymity maybe genuine but is so unusual and so far overboard a monster might have it for lunch.

Still, the account itself is convincingly told.

The sense of disturbance chimes with me, in an odd way. I've never seen a mystery creature but I remember in childhood painted images of a large sea beast overturning a boat absolutely unsettled me in a deep gut-level way, the idea of something enormous under the water is inherently terrifiying. I can well imagine seeing such a thing even from a safe distance might trigger a similar embedded (prehistoric?) fear in a human being.

Am I the only one resisting a sneaking suspicion this is a prelude to an experiment to see if and how far a hoax photo can be spread and believed online. The fearful anonymity maybe genuine but is so unusual and so far overboard a monster might have it for lunch..
I was respectfully 'not commenting', but I'm going to say I agree with you. A photo held just out of reach? Frankly, thin reasons for not showing it to us? Just the one space left on the camera card? Prima facie this doesn't add up to a credible circumstance, a picture might sway me though.

The movie "Legend of the Water Horse" was filmed in early 2006, partly in and around Loch Ness (although mostly in Canada). Was there any evidence of film crews or related paraphernalia when you were passing?
Still from the movie below:

LOTWH.jpg

While there has been some genuinely supportive and interesting people who have replied here, the samples of skepticism are why I have been so ambivalent. Posting smiley faces and saying I just saw a log, or suggesting I saw a movie being filmed, or just out and out questioning what I consider real concerns, are why I have decided not to share the picture.

Someone asked above why it was described as an unpleasant experience to see the Loch Ness Monster. The reason is because you are going along living an ordinary life and then suddenly you see something you didn't ask for that shouldn't be happening, and there's no one you can talk to about it. Even people who should trust you think you're making it up. I chose this particular forum because in my admittedly brief research, it seems that Fortean Times has a long running history and an audience open to these matters. But when I posted here, one of the first replies I got was a gentle reprimand for the fact that the reader misunderstood my account in terms of where I said I was when the sighting occurred. In other words, he or she read my report the wrong way, and felt they needed to inform me about it in such a way that seemed to be wagging a finger at me. "We're watching you!" It didn't exactly make me feel at ease showing a photo of something that I consider extremely personal and almost life changing, that I'm sure would be called a fake. The other option is that it would be accepted as possibly real and blow up on the internet, and I'd be linked to it and considered weird by association.

Hi Justin, is it possible to crop the photo to show just the creature without showing the reflection of your ex? There's cropping tools on all photo software (inc free versions) on all platforms.

Oh, and thanks for sharing your experience. It's much appreciated.

I don't think people on here would consider you either weird or under suspicion. The general outlook of people who use these boards is that such things do happen and are a source of great interest, without necessarily being able to come to concrete conclusions..though as human beings we doubtless have a preference to believe.

The mixed reactions you percieve is a human response not to your account, nor to the possibility of it being exactly what you experienced it to be, but rather to the "I have something..but can't show you..but want to show..but won't show you...but maybe". If people are floundering in knowing how to respond to that - we're clearly all very curious nad desperate to see it for ourselves but having to second guess how to encourage you and not to scare you away - its nothing at all to do with attitudes to the experience of seeing an "impossible" creature. No one here would mock or scorn such a thing. It's normal reaction to essentially being teased, whether its your intention or not. Wouldn't you respond in the same way?

"the samples of skepticism are why I have been so ambivalent."

But most of us with an interest in Forteana quite rightly pride ourselves in a methodical and scientific approach to the subject. We will attempt to apply Occam's razor to arrive at rational explanations for such events. That is surely preferable to being overly credulous and is, in no way, intended as criticism of your veracity. We merely seek to eliminate all potentially natural explanations before considering more Fortean possibilities. So please post your evidence, but do not get upset if forumists offer a wide range of analysis!

Yeah, we've had this before. Someone promises a stunning revelation which will confirm what was previously just hopeful speculation, fobs everyone off for a while and then disappears.

Justin, you're either trolling or you're genuine and if the latter you've been given plenty of options to get an opinion on your photo, Yith has even offered you his time to look at it personally.

If you are genuine take us up on one of our options, if you don't or come back with 101 reasons why you can't right now, you've pretty much run out of road already, as you can see from the above, for trolling.

"the samples of skepticism are why I have been so ambivalent."

But most of us with an interest in Forteana quite rightly pride ourselves in a methodical and scientific approach to the subject. We will attempt to apply Occam's razor to arrive at rational explanations for such events. That is surely preferable to being overly credulous and is, in no way, intended as criticism of your veracity. We merely seek to eliminate all potentially natural explanations before considering more Fortean possibilities. So please post your evidence, but do not get upset if forumists offer a wide range of analysis!
Your methodical research has kept you from a 30 second Google search that reveals the movie you said I might have seen filming wasn't even shot at Loch Ness.

Yeah, we've had this before. Someone promises a stunning revelation which will confirm what was previously just hopeful speculation, fobs everyone off for a while and then disappears.
I have contacted the moderator per his offer.

I can also assure you that regardless of his opinion, I will be very selective regarding who sees it. Thanks for giving me one more example of why.

Your methodical research has kept you from a 30 second Google search that reveals the movie you said I might have seen filming wasn't even shot at Loch Ness.

And further reading reveals that the monster was fully CGI'd apparently so, in that case, a movie prop from that particular movie can be ruled out. Plenty of movies have been shot in and around Loch Ness though and an original Nessie prop has even been down there for 50 years:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-36024638

So please do not get so defensive if forumists offer similar possible explanations.

I have contacted the moderator per his offer.

I can also assure you that regardless of his opinion, I will be very selective regarding who sees it. Thanks for giving me one more example of why.
Now I'm excited again. If we only get to know Yithian's opinion on the photograph it will be interesting.

And further reading reveals that the monster was fully CGI'd apparently so, in that case, a movie prop from that particular movie can be ruled out. Plenty of movies have been shot in and around Loch Ness though and an original Nessie prop has even been down there for 50 years:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-36024638

So please do not get so defensive if forumists offer similar possible explanations.
What point are you trying to make? You didn't know what you were talking about and then tried to inform me that I should expect to be greeted with questions like yours from well educated people...who don't know what they're talking about?

It's like then person I mentioned before who made a point of telling me I must have been at such and such place because based on my sketch, I could only be in the place I had already said I was at?

Maybe before questioning me, you should do your own homework. If I'm defensive it's because I'm being challenged using points that aren't points at all.

If I'm defensive it's because I'm being challenged using points that aren't points at all.
If you're being challenged it's because you're claiming to have evidence but not showing us any and every possible option to do this has been offered to you.

I just stated that I contacted the admin and requested his email address. It looks like you missed that.

I just stated that I contacted the admin and requested his email address. It looks like you missed that.
Nope, didn't. I was suggesting there was a reason you are being challenged. I, like the rest of us, look forward to admin,s evaluation of your picture.

And your reason is invalidated by the fact that I have already taken steps. Another non point.

Something tells me the odds are going to be stacked against me regardless, which is exactly why we never showed it to anyone in 2006, and like I said about being laughed at the first time I talked about it with my wife's family.

The currentl climate of hostility here in this discussion isn't giving me much confidence. I've been told to "put up or shut up" by one of you in an earlier post and it sounds like to some here, they've already made up rheir minds that I'm a liar.

Something tells me the odds are going to be stacked against me regardless, which is exactly why we never showed it to anyone in 2006, and like I said about being laughed at the first time I talked about it with my wife's family.

The currentl climate of hostility here in this discussion isn't giving me much confidence. I've been told to "put up or shut up" by one of you in an earlier post and it sounds like to some here, they've already made up rheir minds that I'm a liar.
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say you're going to decide not to show anyone the picture now.

Justin, take a step back.

We're Forteans and you've made a big claim, the title of your thread alone is a big claim, since this board began we've seen a whole bunch of people making big claims and most don't live up to that big claim so naturally we are, let's say, a little sceptical. However it sounds like you're following the advice given and contact Yith so it's probably in everyone's best interests to leave it at that until he's had chance to have a look at your photo.

How very adult of you. It's easy to be snarky when you have absolutely nothing at risk in the conversation isn't it?

Back