• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I Was Seeing Monsters (Anti-Depressants' Side Effects)

Justin_Anstey

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co...layContent&sourceNode=74403&contentPK=2489385

I WAS SEEING MONSTERS

10:30 - 02 September 2002

Pensioner Lilian Sodeau says that the anti-depressant drug Seroxat gave her hallucinations and made her unbearable to live with.

Drugs gave me visions, says gran

Mrs Sodeau, 76, says she saw and heard monsters and other things which weren't there after taking the drug.

More than 700 people nationwide are pursuing legal action against the drug company GlaxoSmithKline for damages.

After being prescribed the drug for four years Mrs Sodeau, who lives in Bretforton Road, Badsey, near Evesham, says it changed her personality.

She said: "I've always been a very active person and I've done a lot of campaigning for various causes. But the drug just knocked a lot of the fight out of me.

"It stopped me from being depressed but did me no good in the long run."

Mrs Sodeau says she doesn't want the aggravation of trying to sue GlaxoSmithKline for damages.

Mrs Sodeau took part in the 1980s protests against the stationing of US missiles in Britain. She is president of the Evesham and District Pensioners' Association.

She has promised to use her campaigning skills to help rally support for anyone who wants to raise awareness of the drug.

Mrs Sodeau who is married to Fred, 77, and has two grown-up children and five grandchildren said: "I'm not interested in getting any money. I just want to help people who've been affected by the drug."

Suzanne Donnelly, 32, of Longlevens, said she had terrifying withdrawal symptoms when she tried to come off the drug.

GlaxoSmithKline deny the drug is addictive.

Oh bloody hell. I'm on that.
I already know about the withdrawal - when I've run out of pills accidentally, my brain has little shivers - weirdest experience ever. Also your stomach pretends it's a walnut, you sweat, get a headache and basically lay in the foetal position unable to move due to the mind number terror you are now filled with.

I really want to come off this drug, but then I really don't wanna.

pinkle

I was on Seroxat a few years ago. Not long after I'd started taking it, I started hallucinating black cats all over the place...

Sertraline's the best one I've been on. Tri-cyclics make my mouth dry and stopped me peeing. Prozac turned me into a mad tactless bitch. No discernable side affects from Sertraline.
EDIT, apart from the peach face that is.....

Prozac turned me into a perfectly normal person - after two years I stopped taking at and stayed normal , no withdrawal symptoms or side effects. Did have hallucinations when I started taking it though .

Perhaps you shouldspecify 'monsters that weren't really there'. Just in case.

Oh dear, I started taking Seroxat about four weeks ago. To be honest, I feel better now than I have for a long time, and I was warned about possible side-effects (nobody mentioned monsters though!)

IMHO, all anti-depressive drugs are addictive and all have side-effects simply because we don't yet know how the brain works. ALL such drugs should be taken with care, and on no account should anyone suddenly stop taking them... "cold turkey" is for Boxing Day, people :hmph:

Jane.

Justin Anstey said:
[the anti-depressant drug Seroxat gave her hallucinations .

this post made me feel relieved! so it did depend on the medicine! it wasn't just me! i took s. for a couple of years and had to stop because of hallucinations (in my case, a comics character from my childhood, talking to me - grotesque). anyway, apart from this side effect (which occurred a couple of times a week), s. really helped me a lot.
pinkle, if you don't want withdrawal try reducing doses gradually. may sound obvious, but it works.

So glad I got off the prozac. I still have some hanging about and recently I have been getting the urge to pop a few just to tide me over a bad patch, though the urge isnt that strong.
Came off them cold turkey with support from my significant other, though my family were all a bit worried that the dose should be cut down (doc said you can just stop because it builds up in your system over a long period and hasa slow 'half-life' as it were...).

I didn't see anything out of the ordinary but I certainly wasn't myself.

Re: Re: I WAS SEEING MONSTERS

ginoide said:
pinkle, if you don't want withdrawal try reducing doses gradually. may sound obvious, but it works.

I know, I guess I have an irrational fear that the doc would make me go cold turkey for the same reasons as punychicken said, and imagine I've run out or only have a few days left... I'd get ill very quickly.
brrr

pinkle

we're prisoners of so many things that getting rid of one leash feels so good... <look, i'm smiling... and i'm on NOTHING!>

With me it's more of a case of:

I'm on something so instead of being

-
- - -
- -
-----------[well balanced]----------------
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
here

I'm

-
- - -
- -
-----------[well balanced]----------------
- -
- - - - - - -here- - - - - -

Which is nice.

(damn that looked so pretty before I submitted it...)
pinkle

I only had side afects when I started taking the medication.

For the first few days I ahd the shakes and was so nervious I felt like throwing up. I was also incredablt edgy and figited constantly. No side afects anymore!

However I have run out as I have just moved and need a new doctor so I'll have to start them again. Oh well, it's better than the panic atacks.

If you get nasty side affects why not ask to change drugs? If your doctor refuses go to another doctor. I had to battle with mine to increse my dosage as GPs seem not to have heard of a person centerd aproch to medicine.

i was lucky because a) i had gotten better in a short time and b) i had a good doctor

i told her about the side effects and she just told me: yes, this kind of medication can give this kind of fx. (like it was obvious she knew it, but swear to god there was no mention about halucinations on the leaflet). she said, just start reducing doses and quit. but, aas i said, i was already doing well

puny - I was told prozac had no withdrawal symptoms at all ,that it became undetectable in your body after 24 hours even if you had been taking it a while . I just stopped taking it after two years,and found I could go longer and longer without having to take it again, now and again I have started taking it again but find it overwhelming now and too strong . I didn't notice anything when I came off it though . It makes sense that there is a slow release of a build up of the drug in that case .

:eek!!!!: I've been taking Paroxetine tablets for over two years now. Out of all medications I've tried this one has deffinately eased 80 -90% of the depression. I do get a dry mouth though and so drink up to 4lts of liquid a day. I get very, very tierd on them (To the point of falling asleep mid sentance if I haven't got enough sleep the night before.) but my doctor is convinced it's not the tablets. :rolleyes:
Up 'till last year I wasn't taking them regulaly (Sleeping through dose time! Taking them oddly makes you even more tierd, catch 22.) and found I had terrible mood swings and an anger I'd never felt before. I told my dr about this too but apparently it wasn't the tablets, it was to do with my condition. :rolleyes:
I saw a herbal suppliment called 'Stressless' addvertised that is out now. It's supposed to have the same benifits. The phamasist told me to check with dr first though, and also wouldn't be a good idea because I'd really be taking double dose as they both work on the same nuropathways.
Thought I'd mention it for anyone looking for a more 'natural' alternative.

Gee pot worked better for me than anything a doctor pescribed,why are you all so depressed?Is it anything to do with your dismal winters?

wildman said:
Gee pot worked better for me than anything a doctor pescribed,why are you all so depressed?Is it anything to do with your dismal winters?
Please don't get the impression that most British people are depressed, we just seem to be attracted to this message board, that's all. Don't know why really.

Wildman - I agree, Pot has brilliant medicinal properties. It helps me sleep, as usually I think about all kinds of nasty things, regrets, humiliations, etc when I go to sleep. After a few joints I think about orange trees and how ring pulls work and other really weird shit and drift off to sleep very nicely. Going to sleep on a happier note makes all the difference the next day.

Plus it's good for pain of any kind, especially period pain, and also stomach upsets and (get this!) coughs!!

I don't get acid reflux when I smoke weed - usually my digestive system is right buggered up. Oh I could go on for hours! Wonderful stuff.

Unfortunately I can't smoke it all the time, cuz it's illegal and I'm poor and dealers aren't like supermarkets. So I'm on the anti-depressants to stop me flipping out and running out of work in a panic every day, which doesn't do much for one's career.

pinkle

beakboo said:
Please don't get the impression that most British people are depressed, we just seem to be attracted to this message board, that's all. Don't know why really.

As one friend said to me (he wasn't a friend afterwards) I'm depresed 'cause I think to much. I'm sure the depresion comes first and the thinking to much comes later but...

Perhaps it's 'cause we think to much we love this board. It's (at it's best) not only a forum for discusion but an idea factory. Gives you lots to think about.

Oh yes - my teenage depression was explained by my mum by saying "you think too much" and "you're too into yourself".

waa.

pinkle

Pinklefish said:
Oh yes - my teenage depression was explained by my mum by saying "you think too much" and "you're too into yourself".

waa.

pinkle

The reply to this one should be 'Yes, and you're a f*****g sheep.'

Me poor mum didn't say any of it maliciously, it was more along the lines of "don't think about things so much" (I used to dwell on things I couldn't change, like war and starving Africans) and "stop worrying about yourself, focus more on outside things" but it got shortened to those two sentences which made me feel even worse.

bless her.

pinkle

Pinklefish said:
Me poor mum didn't say any of it maliciously, it was more along the lines of "don't think about things so much" (I used to dwell on things I couldn't change, like war and starving Africans) and "stop worrying about yourself, focus more on outside things" but it got shortened to those two sentences which made me feel even worse.

bless her.

pinkle

I didn't mean that you should have told your mother to f**k off. The insult is for the general population or rather that stupid little group who say such things.

yep I get what you meant.

Mental illness has a stigma which causes no end of greif to people and their families. It makes me sick sometimes to see the abuse of people with mental problems.
The media doesn't help - even when soaps try to tackle it - take Brookside - it goes all wrong. They've had a cult leader who was depicted as evil when he was clearly mentally ill, and when Jimmy was ill, they tried to show it in a sympathetic light but ended up sensationalising the whole thing, complete with "dramatic" trailers. "See Jimmy lose the plot". Yes, wonderful. Show mentally ill people as dangerous and without reason. That'll help.

grrrrrrr

You know why mental ilness is protrayed in such a way don't you?

It's because it's transgresive in nature and the transgresive is dangerous. People with a mental ilness experence the same stimuli and phenomina as the general population but react in ways wich are not the same as said population. As such they show up the false nature of the reality that has been constructed by our betters and if more people see that their experence of stimuli can be understood in more than one way then the whole ediface crumbles.

Therefore the mentaly ill are just nutters. They do weird stuff, they don't think like us ect. ect.

Is it any wonder that so many people on this board are open minded, and think "out of the box", and have also reported suffering from mental illness?

Yet another way for "the majority" to maintain the status quo - make everyone believe those who are different are just "nuts".

pinkle
"Everybody's happy
Everybody's free
We'll keep the big door open
And everyone'll come around
Why are you different?
Why are you that way?
If you don't get in line
We'll lock you away"

"Typical Situation" - Dave Matthews Band

Pinklefish said:
Yet another way for "the majority" to maintain the status quo - make everyone believe those who are different are just "nuts".

Or that everyone who's nuts is diffrent...

Back