• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ideas please

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I have included a photo from a security camera which is cited on top of the pub sign situated at the side of the pub in question. It was around 10 past 3 in the morning, the couple were awoken by a loud noise from outside the pub and thought they were being broken into. He went to have a look to see if check all the doors were locked and windows shut while she checked the security footage. It was only when looking through the footage that she found this appear on one frame only (for a maximum of two seconds). It does not appear on any other footage for a few minuted before or afterwards.
There are no manholes or grids in the immediate area. It was a very windy and slighty rainy night. An explanation cannot come to mind and i'm interested in anyone's views. I need to go back and ensure that there is no security light at the rear of the building next to it. There is a car park at the rear but that s the only exit from it.

http://s581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/Spudrick68/

I hope this works as I've never tried it before. I tried using photbucket but am a bit of a luddite sometimes![/img]

My apologies, you are looking at the 'mist' which appears for a maximum of 2 seconds only that appears near the top middle of the photo between the pillar and the wall of the pub.

Hi,

So we are looking at the top of the picture, in the middle, what looks like a pale shape in an ?alcove? or door way.

You said that it appeared only momentarily. As it was a windy night could it have been a peice of debris - newspaper or something blowing about?

Yes, it is the shape you mentioned. I'd be surprised if it was some debris like newspaper as it should have appeared on the image before (taken one second previously). The only related factor is the proximity of the image to the camera lens, then perhaps it is a small piece of debris. I am also aware of simulacra as I'm primed to a certain extent to see a figure.

The other information I previously omitted is that I know the landlady. Before this image appeared she used to tell me of an old lady living over the road who has lived there all her life and is 80 years old, told her that when she was a child she used to see a 'ghost' walking into the butchers next door. This building has long since been demolished but is in the direction the image is.

Other potential factors are an ancient monument which stands over the road from the pub about 15 feet away. It used to be a water pump, so I assume a watercourse runs underneath somewhere. It is also alleged (although I can't find specific details) that 5 ley lines meet at the point of the monument.The immediate area has been occupied since medieval times and is mentioned in the Domesday book.

Of course I'm initially looking for a rational explanation, which is why I'm asking for opinions. Thank you for your imput. :D

Probably an insect on the lens, I'd say, even if the photo was taken in winter it's a possible explanation. Can't explain the noise though!

I have put two more images on. the first one is one second prior to the first and the second is two seconds after the inital image.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

Sorry? Neither image looks any different from the other???

My apologies, I'm just trying to illustrate that whatever it is it only appears on one frame from the security camera ,and not on the frame immediatly before or after.

Spudrick68 said:
My apologies, I'm just trying to illustrate that whatever it is it only appears on one frame from the security camera ,and not on the frame immediatly before or after.

Ah, getcha. Still, the insect theory seems most likely - they can move pretty fast!

Thank you for your suggestion, perhaps I do detect a hint of sarcasm. ;)

Spudrick68 said:
Thank you for your suggestion, perhaps I do detect a hint of sarcasm. ;)

Hmmmm. Maybe. But the nature of photos of this quality is that people go off hunting elusive effects of light and shadows and see faces and figures where there is a random corruption of low-res data. I'm not saying it is't a ghost but I'd want to be sure it wasn't down to the 99.9% (or thereabouts) chance it is something more mundane. Also, if the police are saying that 80% of cameras aren't fit to give accurate details of human actions, it's going to be a tall order to get reliable evidence of the nocturnal doings of a wraith, wisp or shadowthing.

My guess is that maybe a car is going past off-camera and the headlights are reflecting off some slightly-rained upon feature that has increased specularity.

Back