• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

If you could buy a ghost, would you?

jefflovestone

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I know the fad has passed, but regarding the eBay 'ghost in a bottle' craze, would you actually buy one if they were the real deal*? Would your interest in the paranormal actually outweigh the possibility of bringing a spectral loose cannon into your home? Also, if these entitities had some form of sentience, would there be ethics or even rights involved here?

*This is based on the premise that ghosts/poltergeists are either the disembodied spirits of the dead or a supernatural entity.

I'd wait for the 'buy two, get one free' sale, then set them both free...
:p

If people were going to buy them I'd definitely be more interested in how to get them into bottles so I could make a few pesos. Maybe do a deal with one that it'd stick around in the jar scaring the buyer until the guarantee ran out and then come back to get sold to someone else ... I get the moolah, the ghost gets all the negative energy it can eat and the punters get the frisson of a brush with the spirit world with no long term consequences .... everyone's a winner!

In the current 'Paranormal' magazine (which is better, or perhaps less bad) than heretofore, there is a long article with pictures about items which have been acquired with a resident or associated ghost.

(Some of them are pictures of clowns, or model or puppet clowns. What were they thinking of? Buying clowns in any form? Asking for trouble, or what?)

So it seems that there may be a brisk trade in such things. And yup, I'd buy one. I challenge any mere ghost to scare me. 8)

_Lizard23_ said:
If people were going to buy them I'd definitely be more interested in how to get them into bottles so I could make a few pesos. Maybe do a deal with one that it'd stick around in the jar scaring the buyer until the guarantee ran out and then come back to get sold to someone else ... I get the moolah, the ghost gets all the negative energy it can eat and the punters get the frisson of a brush with the spirit world with no long term consequences .... everyone's a winner!

It's easy to get a ghost into a bottle, just say that you bet with all its power it couldn't get into this tiny bottle and hey presto, in its arrogance it jumps in to prove you wrong, you close the top and you've caught it.

Or is that genies...?

jefflovestone said:
I know the fad has passed, but regarding the eBay 'ghost in a bottle' craze, would you actually buy one if they were the real deal?

Someone's been reading On A Pale Horse.... :D

If you Paypal me £50 and ill send you a genuine ghost in a bottle by return post.

After recieving the bottle, just open it in your house and I GUARENTEE in a short while you will experiance one or some of the following;

- missing items appearing in drawers
- clocks(s) stopping or perhaps running slowly
- the feeling of not being alone
- strange smells
- item(s) not being where you left it/them
- and much more

If the ghost becomes a nusance, just paypal me another £50, I will send you a special ghost trap bottle, leave it opened in the problem area for 30 minutes, place the lid on it, then mail it back to me. Exorcisms by mail!

FREE P&P!

Please note: This amazing once in a lifetime offer is only available to people who believe in ghosts!

I also sell tins of magic beans if anyones interested ;)

MercuryCrest said:
jefflovestone said:
I know the fad has passed, but regarding the eBay 'ghost in a bottle' craze, would you actually buy one if they were the real deal?

Someone's been reading On A Pale Horse.... :D

Well that someone's not me. ;) I honestly don't know what book you're referring to. :)

What prompted the question was the 'humanitarian' aspect of it - if ghosts were 'real' in the sense that they existed as some king of sentient being as opposed to a 'playback' etc., etc. then what would the ethics behind this be. Would the buying/selling/trading of them be tantamount to slavery? Would they be deserving of human rights? If not, then what are the implications of this and would death be a kind of legal threshold as well as what's already understood.

Also, how would any related family to the ghost relate to this? Would they 'inherit' the ghost by default like a possession (no pun intended)? Would houses with ghosts be protected as would a house with bats, owls or nests? Perhaps a kind of listed status, instead of a building being in 'original condition', maybe it has 'original occupants'?

Sure, if I had the money, I'd buy one straightaway. I think my Jack's getting kind of lonely, he's been throwing a lot more objects against the wall recently, and I don't like the smell he made in the bathroom. Occasionally I hear a low, miserable wail coming from the attic, but he might just be pining for his head, not some company... :lol:

Remember, people, a ghost is for eternity, not just for Halloween.

Keeping spirits in bottles is cruel. Think of being imprisoned in a tiny bottle, sent miles away from your spiritual roots and being expected to perform tricks for some leering, thrill-seeking pretend-family. Wouldn't you want to piss on the carpet, write rude words on the wall and make bad smells in the attic?

Getting a ghost to scare the crap out of your kids is a lovely thought but please be aware that undead things need to be introduced to the presence of modern children gradually. Also, your children may quickly lose interest in a phenomenon which does not text them and which refuses to appear on their mobile phone photos, except as an orb.

You also need to consider that the cute little ghostie you have bought may not stay that way. It may not be content to haunt an otherwise empty corner of your flat and before you know it, you may find yourself the owners of a vast supernatural portal, drawing in vile bad-mannered spooks from dirty neighbourhoods who use your home for poltergeist competitions and green slime ejaculations.

The idea of calling in an old priest to play sleep-over with the kiddies can lead to worse problems than you've got. No, folks, if you want your home to be haunted by a strange wailing creature that jumps out at you, scratches your face and pulls the covers off your bed, I've got six kitties who are overdue a one-way trip down the river in the good ship Binbag.

:shock:

heres athought, if ghosts walk through walls etc., what would stop them leaving the bottle the are allegadly in?

RealPaZZa said:
heres athought, if ghosts walk through walls etc., what would stop them leaving the bottle the are allegadly in?

Probably a 'warranty void' sticker.

Nothing, that was the basis my little scam was based on - getting one to agree to hang around in the bottle for a while and then come home after.

I suppose you would bind the spirit magic(k)ally in the vessel if you were being serious about the whole thing - there are a whole host of symbols, words and herbs, roots, oils, metals and wotnot that are supposed to be impervious to the passage of non-corporeal entities of various kinds .... think of the magic(k)ian's circle - nothing can get through that, so you just make one on the bottle, effectively.

Back