• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

IHTM: A Plea For Your Help

Dr_David_Sutton

Devoted Cultist
Hi all,

This is a request for your help in keeping IHTM going in the pages of FT; it has become necessary as a result of changes made to the way the message board IHTM works.

Those of you who read the mag will know that the ‘It Happened to Me’ section in the letters pages has developed into a nice regular feature, indeed a favourite with many readers (and with us). Obviously, we want to keep it running (as long as weird shit continues to happen to you all). To ensure that this is possible, we’d like to make an appeal to the good people who post their weird experiences on the forteantimes.com message board: if you think your stories are sufficiently intriguing to feature not just on the board but in the pages of the magazine, could you please also send an email version to [email protected] including your name and postal address (we need these as we don't publish anonymous letters).

There's also the problem of retrieving the most interesting threads that have been posted since the changes Al made (I think that was last November) - would any of you mods be interested in sorting this out? I guess it would involve going back over a year's worth of stuff, collecting together the ones that are of real interest and getting in touch with the posters to obtain names/addresses so this backlog can then be used in the mag. The text could then simply be cut & pasted from the MB and emailed to us.

Thanks for your time, and hope you good people can help.

David

David: Sounds good (I have stickied this post to keep it at the top of the page). There has been some discussion on how to improve the IHTM forum:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=16019

and I suspect it would be possible to find a number of volunteers who are interested in going back through all the old posts and picking out suitable candidates. The mods can then lend and technical assistance where required.

There was also an index started:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=15636

and if people want to throw things in there we can keep track of topics which might also be helpful in this endeavour.

I submitted some cracking IHTM 'hauntings' a year or so back, when it was still an email submission jobbie. As they weren't used and that email adress is now defunct they're lost. Pity. :(

escargot said:
I submitted some cracking IHTM 'hauntings' a year or so back, when it was still an email submission jobbie. As they weren't used and that email adress is now defunct they're lost. Pity. :(

Pity indeed - do you not have a copy around that could be resubmitted?

not sure!!!

Hello all - I'm a new kid on the block and a little unsure how all this works!!

I wanted to submit various things to the 'It Happened to Me' thread but it seems I am no longer able to. Does the 'Closed Envelope' motif mean that there can be no more??? (I'm not too sure about all the terms and symbols on here - sorry if it seems obvious to you all - I'm bamboozled!!)

By the way - I think the term 'High Strangeness' is absolutely mindblowing - it sums all this stuff up so perfectly!!!

I keep using it now - since I first saw this site about a week ago - and saying over and over to myself - it's delicious!!

...sorry - I'll be alright in a minute.....

Re: not sure!!!

hecate said:
Hello all - I'm a new kid on the block and a little unsure how all this works!!

I wanted to submit various things to the 'It Happened to Me' thread but it seems I am no longer able to. Does the 'Closed Envelope' motif mean that there can be no more??? (I'm not too sure about all the terms and symbols on here - sorry if it seems obvious to you all - I'm bamboozled!!)

I'm not really sure what you are trying to do but all you have to do now is hit the "New Thread" button and you are away.

David

For my part, I will notify anything of interest to the aforesaid address. Working in publishing myself - I undesratnd the issue. If I see anything in the other forums worthy of IHTM I'll post it across.

Ideasman

Formarly of Cheshire, UK now of NJ, USA.

There is the problem of relying on people to remember to send the extra email. Therefore, it would make sense to include a reminder on screen when people enter their IHTM. Also, in terms of skipping through info at the magnificent Fortean towers, perhaps each IHTM should have a vote for F.T. worthiness? Birds, two, stone (1); (wheat from chaf) - problem solved 8)

Back