I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
- Jul 19, 2004
- Out of Bounds
This Florida man died from a rare but deadly infection by a Vibrio bacterium he ingested from eating oysters.
FULL STORY: https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/19/florida-man-dies-from-eating-one-in-a-billion-bad-oyster-17209038/Man dies from eating ‘one in a billion’ bad oyster
The man was dining at Rustic Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, when he consumed the oyster that gave him a bacterial infection. He fell ill with Vibrio ...
‘He had that one in a billion that was bad,’ Gary Oreal reportedly said. ‘I feel horrible.’
It was the first time such a tragedy has happened to any guest at the restaurant, Oreal said.
‘Over the course of 60 years, we have served a couple billion oysters and we never had anyone get sick like this guy did,’ he said.
Oreal said that the state Department of Health inspected the kitchen after the incident and that it passed ‘with flying colors’. He cast out a warning about eating oysters – but said that it won’t stop many shellfish fans from consuming them.
‘Oysters are tip of the mountain for dangerous foods to eat,’ he said. ...
The man ... has been identified as Roger ‘Rocky’ Pinckney and tested positive for oxycodone, opiates and cannabis, according to the Broward County Medical Examiner. Vibrio was also found in his blood ...
Pinckney is the second person in Florida to die from eating a raw oyster this month.