• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Impotent ghosts

glamour_dust

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Now this may be a crazy idea since I am sick in bed with a cold and drugged up to my eyeballs. But lately i've been thinking. Have there been many cases of ghosts actually causing physical harm to the living? Cause it seems to me that most just rattle around appearing suddenly and making inappropriate noises. I've never seen one but i've got this idea that apart from being startled at first i'd probably either view it with detachment or ignore it if it disturbs my sleep. So what i'm asking is, have there been any that were capable of more danger than just going....boo?

In Peter Moss's excellent book "Ghosts Over Britain" (published in 1977) there's an apparent 'Night Hag' encounter where the victim is nearly choked in her bed by a ghost that says "and NOW you'll believe in ghosts" over and over again.

Also the 'Hairy Hands' of Dartmoor have reputedly caused some fatal car and motorcyle crashes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/discovering/legends/hairy_hands.shtml

the spirit is willing, but the ectoplasm isnt :oops:

LOL melf.

Also the 'Hairy Hands' of Dartmoor have reputedly caused some fatal car and motorcyle crashes.

Very intresting link zygmunt. But since the woman made the sign of the cross and the hand basically took off then it doesn't scare me. My car contains several rosary chains with prominent crosses on them (catholic upbringing) so I think it should "steer clear" :p of my vehicle. Plus, with the way i drive, it might find itself confused :lol:

Blame the tylenol.

If ghosts do hurt people or kill them, what happens when the spirit of the murdered person winds up in ghost world? If it happened to me, I'd be looking for a little payback. :evil:

Krobone said:
If ghosts do hurt people or kill them, what happens when the spirit of the murdered person winds up in ghost world? If it happened to me, I'd be looking for a little payback. :evil:

:rofl:

That sounds like a great idea for a film

What about the ghost of Borley Rectory..?
Wasn't "She" said to have killed someone?

Krobone said:

Good point! Why do some ghosts apparently want people dead?
Seems pointless to me.

One Scottish legend is that of the Death Bogle. If it touches you, you will die within a year. These stories terrify me as the bogle moves by bounding, great huge leaps. For some reason that scares the hell out of me. *shudders* Probably not quite what you were looking for as it is not a direct killing as it were. Though if I ever met one I'd probably immediately die of fright. :eek!!!!:

Min Bannister said:
One Scottish legend is that of the Death Bogle. If it touches you, you will die within a year. These stories terrify me as the bogle moves by bounding, great huge leaps. For some reason that scares the hell out of me. *shudders* Probably not quite what you were looking for as it is not a direct killing as it were. Though if I ever met one I'd probably immediately die of fright. :eek!!!!:
It's probably one of them wallabies.

Mythopoeika said:
Krobone said:

Seems pointless to me.

Revenge on the living, maybe, for still being alive? (a sort of interactive memento mori?) Still, makes no sense; if the ghost is patient enough, everyone's going to wind up on that side of the fence sooner or later anyway.

Have often wondered how a ghost can interact with this world such that it can make the sound of footsteps, slam doors, fling crockery around etc. as if it were a physical being, yet then walk into a wall.

Mythopoeika said:
Krobone said:

Seems pointless to me.

Maybe they're lonely?

It's a bit like UFOs - there are a few cases of them causing people death and injury, but only very very few in the scheme of things. It seems weird.

Back