• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

In the Metro Today!

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Published in the Metro free newspaper in London today:

Is This Speck a Visitor From Outer Space?
IS IT a bird? Is it a plane? Or could it be a Death Star hurtling towards Earth? This UFO blazed a trail across the skies in broad just days before Star Wars fever gripped the nation. Visible for just 20 seconds, the silver object moved across the heavens before disappearing behind the Moon. The pictures were snapped by Lewis Whyld, who was busy taking photographs at an athletics event in Manchester, when the object appeared in the skies. The 28-year-old from Bristol, said: "Something caught my eye. I looked up and a huge silver disc was moving across the top for the Moon, at quite a speed. It started out as a dot but got bigger and bigger. It vanished behind the Moon and was gone. I'm not sure if it was dropping off or picking up.
MetroUFO.jpg

Okay, so a newspaper - on the day that Star Wars is in the media attention - takes the p!ss, but it's still worth consideration?

"It vanished behind the Moon "

!! Just how big was this thing?

clearly a digital photo - I wonder if many others at the sports event saw it?

If it truly did go behind the moon, then here are some figures...

The moon is approx 2,000 miles in diameter. This object is at least 1/30'th the diameter of the moon and that
makes it about 70 miles across. If its a spaceship then 70 miles wide is pretty huge. 110 kilometers I'm guessing???

true, true. it could not have hidden behind the moon. obviously it's a spoof. quite cool though.

Human_84 said:
If it truly did go behind the moon, then here are some figures...

The moon is approx 2,000 miles in diameter. This object is at least 1/30'th the diameter of the moon and that
makes it about 70 miles across. If its a spaceship then 70 miles wide is pretty huge. 110 kilometers I'm guessing???

I know its weird that I'm quoting myself but, if it was 70 miles across spaceship (110kil) then who is to say it wasnt a 2-person craft from another universe and dimension. People could be much larger on different planes of existance. Makes you wonder though.

While it's an easily debunked photo - consider that the photo's not faked but the object is not unidentified - at least it encouraged two letters to the news paper. One, as DPL pointed out, named the object as an Iridium and the other pulled them up for making light (excuse the pun) of the subject of UFO's and linking it to the over-hyped and near-ubiquitous Star Wars movie.

Either way, I wonder if it came out on the other side of the moon?

Back