• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Independent's most influential Sci-Fi movies.

A

Anonymous

indipendent's most infulential Sci-Fi movies.

And here they are:

2001: A Space Odyssey

Star Wars

Blade Runner

The Matrix

Metropolis

Close Encounters

The Day The Earth Stood Still

Alien

The Terminator

Forbidden Planet

Feal free to discuss.:D

No, Time Machine.

No, War of the Worlds.

Surely these are two of the first major special effects flicks of the 20th century?

Tron? Where the fuck is Tron?

I can't even begin to describe my disgust at this list.
The Terminator? A rip off of an episode of The Outer Limits so blatant that James Cameron was forced to credit the story to the original episodes writer.

Gah. Arghhh....Fuck it now I need a drink.

Anybody who even mentions Star Wars will get a slap.

River_Styx said:
No, Time Machine.

No, War of the Worlds.

Surely these are two of the first major special effects flicks of the 20th century?

Tron? Where the fuck is Tron?

The Terminator? A rip off of an episode of The Outer Limits so blatant that James Cameron was forced to credit the story to the original episodes writer.

Gah. Arghhh....Fuck it now I need a drink.

Anybody who even mentions Star Wars will get a slap.

Keep calm Mr. Styx. I agree totaly with you. A bunch of unmitigated arse.

And I'm fucked if I'm worshiping at the feet of Star Wars.:furious:

AND

2001 isn't realy a sci-fi movie it's a peice of wanky arthouse crap that could do with half an hour being cut out.

Your much better of with Solaris (the origional.)

Kubrick was a self indulgent loon. Apparently Arthur C Clarke didn't like what he did with 2001 and Stephen King hated what he did to The Shining, feeling that he missed the sense of the family imploding entirely.

Dark City should be on there too but nobody saw it because it was far too clever for the popcorn munching, 90 minute twat brigrade who set themselves up as "film fans"

Dark City ruled. It's like a live action anime film. If only Jennifer had disrobed....

the list is of the most 'influential', not the best.

Surely the Matrix is far too new to be that influential yet?

The list is of the most influential SF not the best.

On these grounds I would certainly include Star Wars. Forget about the recent episodes. I am old enough to remember back to when the original was released. Back then special effects movies weren't ten-a-penny, so the experience was mind-blowing.

Wookiee said:
Dark City ruled. It's like a live action anime film. If only Jennifer had disrobed....

Now, now we can't have everything.

stevo said:
Surely the Matrix is far too new to be that influential yet?

Yeah, exactly what has been influenced by the Matrix, apart from a lot of shopping for sunglasses and people in chatrooms calling themselves Neo?

Slytherin said:
Yeah, exactly what has been influenced by the Matrix, apart from a lot of shopping for sunglasses and people in chatrooms calling themselves Neo?

Well bullet time has been used in so many movies now it's getting boring but other than that it offered sod all new stuff.

The Matrix has helped popularise (not invent) the use of "wire-fu" (if that's the correct term) which is pretty much ubiquitous now. it was also different (though not unique) in its intensive training of the lead actors rather than relying on stunt doubles or taking ex-stuntment and giving them lines. So yes it is influential. Whether it was any good or not is a matter of personal taste.

Star Wars was massively influential on the whole of cinema, heralding the era of the summer blockbuster and "bigger is better" special effects.

I wish people could be more constructive rather than saying "such and such sucks". There's plenty of that kind of crap out there already.

Seeing as pickiness seems to be vogue on this thread it was Jaws which launched the summer blockbuster trend not Star Wars.
Sar Wars is the most influential film, it rules!

It may have been the first summer blockbuster, but I don't believe there any equivalents between the release of Jaws and Star Wars (being equally picky :D )

I would like to be left in a room alone with the arse responsible for placing star wars ahead of metropolis in this dire listing. :headbutt:

SatyrUK said:
I would like to be left in a room alone with the arse responsible for placing star wars ahead of metropolis in this dire listing. :headbutt:

Yawn! Yes Metropolis may have been the blueprint for sci-fi movies to come but sci-fi movies with futuristic cityscapes etc. were de riguer by the time Star Wars came along.
Star Wars threw sci-fi back into the mainstream and in it's wake came the likes of Alien, Blade Runner, Terminator and many more great sci-fi movies.
The late 70's/early 80's were a boon period for sci-fi and would that have happened had Star Wars rocked the world?
Yes it's commercial, yes it rips Kurosawa etc. but so what.
The whole purist, anti-commercial dross really gets my goat. 'Matrix rips off blah blah blah', zzzzzzzzzz.
Is it cooler to say 'Well I preferred Battleship Potemkin' instead of just saying the best film of all time is the one that you enjoyed the most.
Just cos there's a flock mentality doesn't mean the flock is wrong.

SatyrUK said:
What a piece of retro-shit is Star Wars to be sure. :(

River_Styx said:

Sort of true - in fact, the basic idea for the Terminator was ripped off from a short story Harlan Ellison wrote in 1957 for 'Fantastic Universe Magazine', called 'Soldier'. Good little yarn it is too.

Anyway, I'm glad 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' is on the list. A very good, intelligent film. Also has a fantastic score.

JerryB said:
Sort of true - in fact, the basic idea for the Terminator was ripped off from a short story Harlan Ellison wrote in 1957 for 'Fantastic Universe Magazine', called 'Soldier'. Good little yarn it is too.

Anyway, I'm glad 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' is on the list. A very good, intelligent film. Also has a fantastic score.

Wasn't that story adapted for the original Outer Limits television show though?

Also, Big Trouble in Little China was one of, if not the first american movies to use wire fu in it's action scenes a whole 13 or so years before The Matrix was made.

Glad to see 'Forbidden Planet' is there.

I don't know whether there was any influence, but it's practically a pilot for 'Star Trek' - far classier though.

As several other people has pointed out 'Star Wars' is probably the most influential as it brought SF into the mainstream audience - its fun, but its not the best film by any strech of the imagination.

As for influnce what about 'King Kong' it's borderline SF?

Emperor Zombie said:
...starwars was the first franchise movie given that it was the first real merchandise movie (instigated by George Mucas *who's laughing now 20th cent fox?*). So the existence of scifi sequels with toy tie ins was born.
Oh, you youngsters!

Ever hear of Walt Disney? There were toys and other spin-offs from the cartoons and other films right back in my childhood (and probably before). Did I ever get the Davey Crockett coonskin cap I wanted? I don't remember now.

OK, Mickey Mouse and Davey Crocket weren't scifi, but I think '20,000 Leagues under the Sea' would qualify - and I definately lusted after a toy Nautilus submarine!

rynner said:
Oh, you youngsters!

Ever hear of Walt Disney? There were toys and other spin-offs from the cartoons and other films right back in my childhood (and probably before). Did I ever get the Davey Crockett coonskin cap I wanted? I don't remember now.

OK, Mickey Mouse and Davey Crocket weren't scifi, but I think '20,000 Leagues under the Sea' would qualify - and I definately lusted after a toy Nautilus submarine!

Sorry. Walt who?

mwahahahahahah :rofl: hahahahahahahaha.

Timble said:
As for influnce what about 'King Kong' it's borderline SF?
Or, Godzilla, which was one of Kong's direct descendants?

And thinking about it, where's Frankenstein? Super influential, even if everybody thinks it's just a horror flick!

No Quatermass films, either?

Wing Commander wasn't mentioned? I'm shocked and outraged.

River_Styx said:
Wasn't that story adapted for the original Outer Limits television show though?

Not as far as I know. I don't think this came up in the court wrangle between Ellison and Cameron.

I've always thought of these movies as being heavily influential on the visuals of those that came after:

Alien: A grubby, oily old spaceship with a bunch of grubby crew smoking, talking about each other and arguing about getting paid.

Max Headroom: The look and just the 'feel' of that TV movie seems like it was the template for countless low to mid-budget flicks that came out later. Maybe it was part of that whole 'future-noir' style that seems like it started with Blade Runner and is still affecting how production designers for films work.

Back