• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Indian Time-Slip

A

Anonymous

Keith Manies

In the summer of 1985, I was working for the Kansas Dept. of Transportation doing traffic studies at the intersections of remote rural highways. It was a dull job, but it afforded me some time to read and earn some money for college.

One particular hot July afternoon, I found myself doing a traffic study overlooking the Smokey Hill river valley in west central Kansas. It had been a rather uneventful day. All of a sudden I heard a very high pitched noise akin to electonic feedback. My first reaction was to turn down the car radio, which I did to no avail. The irratating_sound seemed to come from the back of the vehicle, so I got out to investigate.

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/indiantime.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! How come things like that never happen to me?

It does soumd like a time slip. The apparent solidity of the indian and buffalo, the fact that he didn't acknowledge you at all and his authentic clothing definitely make it sound that way. My first reaction was that someone was winding you up until you mention the buffallo. Strange happening indeed!

Wow. That's interesting. You say he took absoloutely no notice of you? That is totally wierd. Any guesses as to his age, or what era he was from? (sometimes you can tell that if they dont seem to be contaminated by the white.)

That's really cool.

The fact that he had a gun and rode a horse would tend to date him certainly after European contact.

If you went through records of guns of the era, you could get a pretty good idea.

Also, the buffalos were still there, that could give you a pretty good idea as well, as they were hunted down quite rapidly once the west was "won".

I am very sure that this was a time anomaly. They are much more common than most people realise. There are numerous such stories on the net. Yours is a particularly good one. How wonderful to see all those buffalo!!!!

In this case, the Indian ignored you because he couldn't see you. If he could have seen you, he might have tried to kill you. He would certainly AT LEAST have been startled.

A good site for more similar stories is http://www.realityshifters.com

To learn more about time travel, see the video "The Philadelphia Experiment" with Michael Pare. It is mostly true - not that 'they' tell you that.

I have a story of my own of a reality shift at
http://www.metatech.org/reality_shift.html

Stephanie Relfe
http://www.metatech.org

:smokin: like uhh how hot was it this day cause as devils advocate i should point out hallucination possiblility here need more info methinks

Indian time slip reply

I've done a litlle research on the type of rifle the indian in my time slip experience had in his hand. I believe it was an old smooth bore Mexican rifle from the early part of the 19th century. I've found out that before 1820 and the American invasion of the Great Plains states, rifles aquired in trade from the New Mexico area were the most common weapons of the indians in the region. I believe it was a flintlock, too. I have also looked into what tribe this indian may have been from. It is hard to say, the indian was rather non-descript in his posessions. But the main tribes in that area of Kansas in the 1800 to 1820 period were the Cheyenne, Kiowa, and Arapaho. A friend suggested he was from the famous Sioux tribe, but the Smokey Hill river is far south of their traditional hunting grounds. Also, yes it was a very hot summer day when I had this experience. I doubt I was hallucinating being I experienced both a visual and audio event. I have also learned that the bison I saw were very numerous in the that region of Kansas up until the 1870's when they were exterminated by commercial hunters. I hope this may have answered some the questions about my story.

well with that much detail it doesnt sound like an hallucination
i just figured that it should be mentioned it seems to me if it was hot enough for you to hallucinate then your memory probably wouldnt be that clear -------cool----

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

INDIAN TIME SLIP

Keith Manies

In the summer of 1985, I was working for the Kansas Dept. of Transportation doing traffic studies at the intersections of remote rural highways. It was a dull job, but it afforded me some time to read and earn some money for college.

One particular hot July afternoon, I found myself doing a traffic study overlooking the Smokey Hill river valley in west central Kansas. It had been a rather uneventful day. All of a sudden I heard a very high pitched noise akin to electonic feedback. My first reaction was to turn down the car radio, which I did to no avail. The irratating sound seemed to come from the back of the vehicle, so I got out to investigate.

As I walked down the road, a movement to my right caught my eye. I turned my head and to my utter amazement there coming down the highway embakement was an Indian on horse! Now this was not any modern day native American, but a real life snapshot of a Indian brave circa 1840. He was naked except for a leather loin cloth and a pair of mocasins. He was riding bareback without any conventional bridal, just a rope tied around the pony's head. In the Indian's right hand was an antique looking rifle and in the other the rope.

The sight took my breath away and all I could think of was saying "Hi!" The Indian did not respond to my excited greeting and totally ignored me as if I was not there. As the Indian approached the far side of the road, he stopped and intently scanned the river valley below. The Indian's stare made me turn to see what he was looking at. Down in the valley, again to my amazement, was a large heard of buffalo strung out for miles where there were none 2 minutes before. This sight made my head swim because the mighty herds of buffalo had been exterminated from Kansas over 100 years previous.

I caught my breath and turned back to observe the Indian and his horse, but there was nothing there! I ran over to where I had last seen the Indian and looked down the hill. There was no sign of the Indian and now no trace of the buffalo either. As the hot sun beat down on me, I slowly walked back to the car and noticed that the annoying sound was absent, too.

As I sat back down in the front seat of the car feeling somewhat light headed, I pondered I what I had just witnessed. Was it a ghost, an Indian spirit, or had I experienced a hole in time?

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20021206084329/http://www.forteantimes.com:80/happened/indiantime.shtml

Carbon monoxide-induced hallucination?

That would be a good theory, if there were any indication he was running the engine at the time.

I'd say borderline heat exhaustion is more likely, given the multiple allusions to it being a particularly hot day in July.

A follow-up of sorts ...

Manies' story appears in the book Twidders by Anita Holmes, which addresses lost time / time slip stories.

She incorporated Manies' story (apparently copied from our IHTM) under the title 'The Brave and the Buffalo'. It can be accessed at Google Books:

https://books.google.com/books?id=sS5aBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT25&lpg=PT25&dq="Keith Manies"&source=bl&ots=lWaIpQSw7g&sig=0BV8Zn0W13L23CyNAmc-70M-LRw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMv7veiMrdAhUCDq0KHYNeD7cQ6AEwBXoECCcQAQ#v=onepage&q="Keith Manies"&f=false

Great collection of time slip accounts there (with the occasional ghost and cryptid thrown in).
They certainly make interesting reading, but do seem a bit too good to be true!

Well I'd guess in a book of collected experiences she'd pick the best (or most coherent) stories, rather than the time someone came out of a shop and might have seen something odd down the street that could have been an old gas lamp or it might just have been the sun in her eyes.

But yes. All sounded a bit 'over the top', especially the dino ones. And show a certain lack of subsequent investigation.

Back