• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Inter-Species & Human / Animal Communication

I couldn't find a specific thread about 'communicating with animals' so this appears here.

Why am I here? What’s my purpose in life?

We're Officially Trying To Talk To Whales

The crackpot or genius idea, depending on your feelings towards establishing a narrative with a species whose intelligence could prove to challenge our own, came about through a series of serendipitous conversations (with humans, not whales).

https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/were-officially-trying-to-talk-to-whales/

I reckon they're gonna be pissed

I'm not sure if you mean drunk or angry....but to think of it...probably both.

Dogs have demonstrated the ability to use button-word systems to communicate with their owners, and these systems are starting to be used with cats as well.
A "talking" cat is giving scientists insight into how felines think

Cats are being taught to communicate using a button-word system. Scientists are listening closely

Billi, a 13-year-old domestic cat in Florida, presses a button that voices the word "dog" — twice.

She proceeds to sit as if she's waiting for her human parent, Kendra Baker, to respond.

"Dog outside, hmm?" Baker asks Billi, via the buttons. ...

Those who follow the travails of internet-famous "talking" animals may be familiar with Bunny the Talking Dog, a TikTok- and Instagram-famous pet. Just like Bunny, Billi the cat uses an augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) device — essentially, a sound board made up of buttons with a different word vocally recorded on each — to "talk" to her human, Baker. Baker, like Bunny's human parent, was inspired to attempt this means of animal-human communication ...

Of course, unlike Bunny and Stella, Billi is a cat. And while dogs, as social animals, are renowned for being able to understand human speech, cats are a different matter.

That didn't stop Baker. ...

Today, Billi has 50 words on her board, and — like Bunny — is part of the ongoing research project called TheyCanTalk, whose goal is to understand if animals can communicate with humans through AAC devices. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.salon.com/2021/12/12/a-talking-cat-is-giving-scientists-insight-into-how-felines-think/

I think this fits here:
1640297897191.png

Chris @mama_c6
Someone in my county set up a tree by her wildlife camera and caught these. Guess what I’m doing tomorrow?

Back