• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Internet Suicide-Pact Craze

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The wonders of the Internet - it allows people with the same interest to get together. Pity that interest, at ;east in this case, is topping yourself though :(

Jobless trio die in bizarre car suicide pact

FUKUSHIMA -- Two women and a man have been found dead in a car parked in a secluded part of Fukushima Prefecture after apparently taking their own lives in a bizarre suicide pact, police said.

The three, all jobless in their 30s, had never met before, but appear to have come into contact through a website devoted to suicide.

Names of those who died in the car in the village of Otama have not been released. They were identified only as a 36-year-old woman from Nihonmatsu, Fukushima Prefecture, a 39-year-old woman from Tokyo's Adachi-ku and a 31-year-old man born in Sapporo.

Police said an Otama resident had noticed the bodies in the car on Monday and alerted the police. Charcoal embers were found in the car, suggesting the three had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The two women were confirmed to have viewed the suicide website. At least one suicide note was found in the car. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, April 28, 2004)

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20040428p2a00m0dm005000c.html

Emps

Weird Group Suicide Growing Popular Due To Internet

9 Bodies Found in Group Suicides in Japan
By MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press Writer

TOKYO - Police found seven young people slumped over dead in a deserted van outside Tokyo on Tuesday in what was believed to be Japan's biggest-ever group suicide, while also finding a pair of women dead in an apparent suicide pact in a car at a temple. The cases — involving young people in their teens and 20s — raised alarm over suicide agreements, many of which are made by people who meet over the Internet. They have claimed dozens of lives and shocked Japan over the past several years.

Tuesday's suicide of four young men and three women in the van would be the largest group suicide yet, the National Police Agency said. Authorities found the rented van in a deserted mountain lot after a friend of one of the seven who had received an e-mail hinting at suicide called the police, but officers failed to reach it in time, a police spokesman in Saitama prefecture, just outside Tokyo, said on condition of anonymity.

The van windows were sealed with vinyl tape from the inside and the seven were found slumped over in their seats, the spokesman said. A woman sat in the driver's seat, while the six others sat in two rows behind her. Investigators found four charcoal stoves in the car that they believe the group used to poison themselves. No external wounds or signs of a struggle were found.

The Saitama police said they believed the seven died of carbon monoxide poisoning, and ordered autopsies. In a separate incident, two women were found dead in a car parked outside an isolated temple in Yokosuka, about 60 miles to the southeast, a Kanagawa prefecture police spokesman said. They were in the car's back seat, with two charcoal stoves on the floor. The car windows were sealed with a black plastic tarp.

Police said it was not immediately known whether the two cases were related. They were still trying to determine the identities of the men and women. Officials say suicide pacts have been made over the Internet since at least the late 1990s, and have been reported everywhere from Guam to the Netherlands.

But they've been happening in Japan in especially large numbers, where suicide in general is at record highs. According to the National Police Agency, 45 people committed suicide in groups after meeting each other over the Internet between January 2003 and June 2004. An official at the agency, also demanding anonymity, said seven was the largest known group to commit suicide together.

Suicide sites, often designed with an ominous, pitch-black background, post disclaimers about the dangers of their content. Delving further into the sites leads to chat rooms spilling over with death wishes and exchanges of ideas on how best to take your own life. Some sites offer "shopping lists" detailing materials necessary for self-asphyxiation as well as ready-made packages available for a price.

The spate of Internet-linked group suicides have led to calls for the government to close suicide message boards down, but experts say the problem lies more with a lack of suicide prevention efforts, not with people discussing death over the Web. Shinji Shimizu, professor at Nara Women's University, said group suicides could be on the rise because young Japanese are not exposed to death as much as in previous generations as fewer relatives die around them.

"Young people today don't have a sense of reality about death," Shimizu said. "They are approaching it as an extension of a game in cyberworld." Japan's suicide rates are among the highest in the world. The number of Japanese committing suicide last year exceeded 32,000 to mark the record high.

Officials have blamed a decade-long economic slump for an increasing number of people killing themselves, a trend particularly strong among middle-aged men. Younger people have cited concerns about bullying, romantic breakups or abusive family members for wanting to kill themselves.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041012/ap_on_re_as/japan_group_suicide

I was sure something similar had happened before and I've now merged the previous report in here,

BlackRiverFalls said:
That's more or less the plot of the film Suicide Club.

Also there is a thread on it here:
forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10886
Link is obsolete. The current link is:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-suicide-club.10886/

but not here:
forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8408
Link is obsolete. The current link is:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-game-of-death-a-k-a-the-suicide-club-movie.8408/

Last edited by a moderator:
Seven die in online suicide pact in Japan

Justin McCurry in Tokyo
Wednesday March 2, 2005
The Guardian

Seven people have killed themselves within hours of each other in Japan in the latest round of suicides committed after pacts made on the internet.

Four people in their 20s and 30s were found dead in a car in a mountainside parking lot in Tochigi prefecture late on Monday. Shortly before 10am yesterday, the bodies of three people, including a 14-year-old girl, were found 30 miles away inside a car parked on a dry riverbed.

All seven had apparently died from carbon monoxide poisoning after sealing themselves in the vehicles and inhaling the fumes from charcoal stoves. Police said suicide notes had been found in both cars. The note in the second vehicle indicated that the victims had arranged to die together in internet chatrooms.

At least 20 people have killed themselves in group suicides in Japan this year. Last year, 55 were known to have made suicide pacts compared with 34 in 2003, but police admit the true figure may be far higher.

Alienated youngsters who leave school with few qualifications and no long-term job prospects are most vulnerable. They meet like-minded people in chatrooms and formulate plans to die together, discussing every detail of how they will spend their final hours.

Several internet service providers have blocked access to these sites, but others can easily be found. "Everything is horrible, I want to die," reads one recent posting. "Who will die with me?"

The victims take strength from the idea of dying alongside other people. "Dying alone is lonely," Yukio Saito, who runs a suicide helpline, told Reuters. In the absence of strong religious or cultural taboos against suicide, many Japanese see taking their lives as an honourable route out of personal or professional crises.

Terumasa Koyanagi, the former president of a railway company involved in a financial scandal, became the latest high-profile victim last month.

Suicide sites have been credited with giving troubled youngsters a forum to discuss their feelings anonymously, and there have been reports of users being talked out of killing themselves.

The focus on group suicides arranged on the internet has been blamed for diverting attention from the bigger problem of why so many Japanese choose to die by their own hand. Group suicides account for only about 2% of the total in Japan, which has the highest suicide rate in the developing world. Suicides are the country's sixth biggest killer.

In 2003, more than 34,000 people committed suicide, a 7% increase on the previous year, according to the police. More than a third were over the age of 60, but there were large rises in the number of deaths among young adults and schoolchildren. Health problems were the single biggest cause, 45%, with about a quarter attributed to business failures and job losses after more than a decade of recession.

Despite the greater availability of counselling services, seeking outside help for depression and other psychological disorders is regarded by many as a sign of weakness.

This week's deaths came days after Japan's defence agency admitted that a record 78 soldiers had killed themselves in the past 11 months.

Source

Japanese Suicide Clubs

The other nite I was flipping through the channels and saw something about this on CBS Evening News.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Japan's internet 'suicide clubs'

By Andrew Harding
BBC Asia correspondent

In Japan, the internet has been blamed for a spate of group suicides which appear to have been arranged in online chat rooms.
Andrew Harding talked to one young man searching for someone to die with.

Naoki Tachiwana opened his apartment door with a surprisingly warm smile, and beckoned us in to a neat living room. His computer was switched on - the screen facing out towards Naoki's eleventh floor balcony, and the night sky above Tokyo's eastern suburbs.

"Last night I was up all night," said Naoki, smiling again, "talking online to this woman who really - I mean really - wants to die. She asked me to do it with her today, but I said I couldn't because I had this television crew coming to see me. So she said we can do it after they've gone."

It had taken days of online research, emails and text messages to bring us here - face to face with a member of Japan's "internet suicide" community.

It is a growing, and morbidly frank underworld of chat rooms and websites with names like "Suicide Club," where thousands of (mainly young) people meet and talk and plan their deaths.
At least 26 people have died in this manner in the past two months.

Death ads

The message boards are littered with personal ads like: "I have pills and charcoal briquettes - I'm looking for someone to die with," and "I'm 23 and want to die. I can travel anywhere."

I asked Naoki - a 34-year-old bank employee who has been off work with stress-related problems for six months - why he was considering joining a suicide group.

"Well, I'm depressed - and that's a disease," he said. "But to be honest, I think I've always been interested in killing myself." His enormous cat jumped down from a shelf and waddled over to the computer screen.

"I'd never thought about doing it in a group before," he continued. "But then I visited a website and thought - ah, if I join this I won't have to go through with it on my own. It's like crossing the road when the traffic light is red... it's not so scary when you're with others."

High suicide rate

In recent months, dozens of Japanese have crossed that road together. In the last fortnight alone three groups of three people, and two groups of four have been found dead - usually gassed in cars on remote mountain roads.

Japan already has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, and so far the internet-related deaths are only a small proportion. But it's a growing one.
"It's almost like a cult... these internet groups," argues Yukiko Nishihara, a Tokyo helpline worker. "When people are lonely and suicidal - but afraid of death - they find these websites which egg them on. There's an inhuman element to it."

But others see the sites very differently.

"There's nothing bad about suicide," said Wataru Tsurumi, author of a graphic, and best-selling handbook on the subject. "We have no religion or laws here in Japan telling us otherwise. As for group suicides - before the internet people would write letters, or make phone calls... it's always been part of our culture."

Ghoulish as many of the sites are - complete with skulls and dripping blood - many of their owners argue that they do more good than harm. Late one night in a crowded internet café in central Tokyo, we met up with a shy 24-year-old who wanted to be known by his online nickname - Ama Terasu.

"My site has a message board, and chat rooms and links to other sites," he told me. "It's a virtual world where you can talk about subjects you can't discuss in real life.

'Vicious sites'

"There are some vicious sites which really encourage people to die, and when you get in a group there's a momentum which makes it hard to stop - people become irrational. But my site is not like that. I started it because I had tried twice to kill myself.
"I think it has saved my life - because it has enabled me to open up about things online. And I believe it can help others too."

Back in his small apartment, Naoki was still weighing up his options. He told me that he'd come close to killing himself the day before with another person, but that she'd pulled out at the last minute.

"This time," he said, "it's me who has got cold feet. I told the other woman who wanted to do it today that I was not ready to die so suddenly."

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised here and would like to talk to someone in confidence for details of further support and information, please call the BBC Action Line on 08000 566 787.

The lines may be busy, so please remember that the Action Line is open seven days a week, from 0730 GMT until midnight. All calls are free and confidential. Andrew Harding's film was screened on Tuesday, 7 December, 2004.

Newsnight is broadcast on BBC Two at 1030pm every weeknight in the UK.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/p ... 071805.stm

Published: 2004/12/07 12:08:47 GMT

© BBC MMv
----------------------------------------------------
Japan's Internet 'Suicide Clubs'

Suicide manual author Wataru Tsurumi says suicide has always been part of Japanese culture
(December 7, 2004) -- In Japan, the internet has been blamed for a spate of group suicides which appear to have been arranged in online chat rooms.

Andrew Harding talked to one young man searching for someone to die with.

Naoki Tachiwana opened his apartment door with a surprisingly warm smile, and beckoned us in to a neat living room. His computer was switched on - the screen facing out towards Naoki's eleventh floor balcony, and the night sky above Tokyo's eastern suburbs.

"Last night I was up all night," said Naoki, smiling again, "talking online to this woman who really - I mean really - wants to die. She asked me to do it with her today, but I said I couldn't because I had this television crew coming to see me. So she said we can do it after they've gone."

It had taken days of online research, emails and text messages to bring us here - face to face with a member of Japan's "internet suicide" community.

Naoki Tachiwana has searched the web for a suicide partner
It is a growing, and morbidly frank underworld of chat rooms and websites with names like "Suicide Club," where thousands of (mainly young) people meet and talk and plan their deaths.

At least 26 people have died in this manner in the past two months.

Death Ads
The message boards are littered with personal ads like: "I have pills and charcoal briquettes - I'm looking for someone to die with," and "I'm 23 and want to die. I can travel anywhere."

I asked Naoki - a 34-year-old bank employee who has been off work with stress-related problems for six months - why he was considering joining a suicide group.

"Well, I'm depressed - and that's a disease," he said. "But to be honest, I think I've always been interested in killing myself." His enormous cat jumped down from a shelf and waddled over to the computer screen.

"I'd never thought about doing it in a group before," he continued. "But then I visited a website and thought - ah, if I join this I won't have to go through with it on my own. It's like crossing the road when the traffic light is red... it's not so scary when you're with others."

High Suicide Rate
In recent months, dozens of Japanese have crossed that road together. In the last fortnight alone three groups of three people, and two groups of four have been found dead - usually gassed in cars on remote mountain roads.

Ama Terasu says it can be difficult to back-out of suicide pacts
Japan already has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, and so far the internet-related deaths are only a small proportion. But it's a growing one.

"It's almost like a cult... these internet groups," argues Yukiko Nishihara, a Tokyo helpline worker. "When people are lonely and suicidal - but afraid of death - they find these websites which egg them on. There's an inhuman element to it."

But others see the sites very differently.

advertisement

"There's nothing bad about suicide," said Wataru Tsurumi, author of a graphic, and best-selling handbook on the subject. "We have no religion or laws here in Japan telling us otherwise. As for group suicides - before the internet people would write letters, or make phone calls... it's always been part of our culture."

Ghoulish as many of the sites are - complete with skulls and dripping blood - many of their owners argue that they do more good than harm. Late one night in a crowded internet café in central Tokyo, we met up with a shy 24-year-old who wanted to be known by his online nickname - Ama Terasu.

"My site has a message board, and chat rooms and links to other sites," he told me. "It's a virtual world where you can talk about subjects you can't discuss in real life.

'Vicious sites'

Mirrors have been installed on some Japanese train platforms to deter suicides
"There are some vicious sites which really encourage people to die, and when you get in a group there's a momentum which makes it hard to stop - people become irrational. But my site is not like that. I started it because I had tried twice to kill myself.

"I think it has saved my life - because it has enabled me to open up about things online. And I believe it can help others too."

Back in his small apartment, Naoki was still weighing up his options. He told me that he'd come close to killing himself the day before with another person, but that she'd pulled out at the last minute.

"This time," he said, "it's me who has got cold feet. I told the other woman who wanted to do it today that I was not ready to die so suddenly."

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised here and would like to talk to someone in confidence for details of further support and information, please call the BBC Action Line on 08000 566 787 (UK).
The lines may be busy, so please remember that the Action Line is open seven days a week, from 0730 GMT until midnight. All calls are free and confidential.

By Andrew Harding BBC Asia correspondent

There's a short video piece just come up on the BBC news website about the Japanese 'suicide clubs'.

BBC News Search

It should be the top entry, can't work out how to link to it directly.

I saw a documentary (can't remember the name) about this very subject on one of the ''arts'' channels a few months back. Apparently, owing to the high suicide rate in Japan, the government has issued strict new guidelines for taxicab drivers not to take fares to secluded parks or other out-of-the-way destinations if they are alone, or seem depressed.

One particularly large park (a small woodland) outside of Kyoto has become favored by those taking their lives, and the local police, armed with large plastic bags, combed the area looking for human remains (and finding some, complete with suicide notes).

One of the things that struck me was the lead police officer instructing his men to be on guard against spirits that inhabited the park, who kept luring people to the area to kill themselves, as they (the spirits) were ''lonely''.

And not just japan but a lot closer to home and some fear it may be he start of a "trend" (I'm sure Loren Coleman is watching this closely) - and the reporter's name is ironic:

Clampdown on chatrooms after two strangers die in first internet death pact

Ian Cobain
Tuesday October 11, 2005
The Guardian

Internet companies are being urged by the Home Office to make so-called suicide websites and chatrooms more difficult to access. The move comes after two strangers forged Britain's first internet suicide pact, dying side by side two days after making contact for the first time on a chatroom dedicated to discussions about suicide.

Following a spate of online suicide pacts in Japan and elsewhere, psychiatrists are warning that Britain may be about to witness a disturbing new trend, with young people in particular using the chatrooms to make contact with other depressed individuals.

Ministers have considered outlawing sites which appears to encourage suicide, but were warned that new legislation could also criminalise fictional depictions of suicide and hinder academics and counsellors writing about the subject.

Talks are taking place with a number of service providers, including Yahoo! and AOL, and search engine companies, in an attempt to reprioritise the results that are thrown up during a trawl on the internet. "When somebody keys in 'suicide' and 'UK', we would like them to be offered a link to the Samaritans long before they find a website showing them what they can do with a car exhaust and a hosepipe," one official said.

The drive for internet reform was given extra impetus by the deaths of Christopher Aston and Maria Williams, who killed themselves in a shopping centre car park near the Millenium Dome in south-east London. They used a method which is highly unusual in the UK, but which is frequently discussed in suicide chatrooms.

Mr Aston, 25, was the elder of the two sons of a professional couple, and grew up in the street next to Penny Lane in Liverpool. A PhD student at the University of Manchester, he was researching the use of computers to analyse and categorise biological material.

Ms Williams, 42, was a former private detective and convicted fraudster who often used the name Marie Sanchez, and who lived alone on the sixth floor of a tower block on a council estate in Deptford, south-east London. All they had in common, before making contact on one of the most frequently-visited suicide chatrooms, was their interest in computers, and their history of depression.

The inquest into their deaths last month heard that Mr Aston was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome and dyslexia as a child, with the result that he often felt isolated. "He had very good friends who cared for him but sometimes his perception of that was the opposite," his mother, Frances, told the hearing. He drank a bottle of medicine at the age of 12 and took an overdose four years ago.

Ms Williams was an outgoing and resilient woman who descended unexpectedly into mental illness following her fourth short spell in prison 10 years ago, relatives say.

She had fallen in love with a prison officer and, following the failure of that relationship, drove to Wigan, the officer's home town, where she attempted to commit suicide in a church.

A family member who did not wish to be identified said she had made two failed attempts to kill herself. "She said straight away that she was going to do it again."

Mr Aston and Ms Williams were found together in her red BMW, parked outside a branch of the TK Maxx store, a place which her family say she liked because she had used "dodgy credit cards" to shop there. She was sitting behind the driver's wheel, dressed in a white shroud with a friend's name and telephone number scrawled on her right shoulder. Mr Aston was curled in a foetal position on the back seat. Beside him was a scanner, which could have been used to listen for the radio messages of approaching police patrols or ambulance crews.

They had had very little contact before their deaths, police told the inquest, but an examination of their computers showed how they had made contact, and revealed that both had been reading internet suicide websites.

The Guardian is not identifying the method which Mr Aston and Ms Williams used to take their lives, nor is it identifying the chatroom on which, relatives say, they first met.

This chatroom began life in the late 80s as a bulletin board discussion about the reasons for depression at Christmas. As the worldwide web was developed in the mid-90s, so too did the discussion, until it became a popular chatroom hosted by a leading search engine company.

Over the years, much of the dark humour which characterised the chatroom in the early days fell away, and it is now full of anonymous postings from people who want to express their despair, discuss different methods of taking their lives, and even advertise for suicide pact partners. One recent and typical posting read: "Hi, I'm new here. I am in the UK, near Liverpool to be precise. Is there anyone near me considering ending their life? Do you want to enter into an agreement to help each other? I have had a few unsuccessful attempts, panic always sets in ..."

Another, in which a person wondered why they hadn't died after taking a specified number of painkillers, received a reply explaining how to avoid vomiting.

As well as the chatroom, a website was developed which offered access to archived postings. One of the pioneers of this website was Peter Truman, a computer technician from Birmingham, who refuses to comment on his involvement.

At its inception, the website claimed to avoid anything to encourage suicide. However, it is understood to have been passed on to another host in Washington DC, who then handed it over to a man in California, who in turn passed it to its current host, Karin Spaink, a Dutch journalist. In its current guise, the website gives a direct link to the site of the suicide postings.

Ms Spaink argues that the website and chatroom do more good than harm. "I would rather have a place where people can discuss and investigate their anxiousness to commit suicide, rather than withdraw into an enclosed space where no other voices are heard," she says. "I would rather people talked about it, so they can investigate whether they do indeed want to die."

While acknowledging that some people have formed suicide pacts through this chatroom, Ms Spaink doubts whether many others will follow their lead.

In Japan, however, authorities have been alarmed by the number of people who have committed suicide after visiting suicide websites - 59 in the first four weeks of this year alone - and by the increasing number of internet pacts. In May, seven people, including a 14-year-old girl, killed themselves after striking an online agreement.

Writing in the British Medical Journal before the deaths of Mr Aston and Ms Williams, Sundararajan Rajagopal, a consultant psychiatrist at the Maudsley hospital in London, warned that the internet could fuel a rise in such pacts.

He said the Japanese experience "might herald a new disturbing trend in suicide pacts, with more such incidents, involving strangers meeting over the internet, becoming increasingly common".

The Home Office says it considered amending the 1961 Suicide Act, which prohibits the aiding and abetting of suicide, but which could rarely be used to prosecute people posting chatroom messages. Eventually, a spokesman says, ministers and officials concluded that "we can't erase them from existence using legislation".

This decision is dismissed as "a cop-out" by Papyrus, a charity set up by bereaved British parents to reduce suicide among young people. Papyrus points to a number of cases in the UK in which suicide notes have revealed clearly "the pivotal role" of information from the internet.

In Australia, the federal authorities have drawn up legislation which will impose heavy fines on individuals or companies involved in the online promotion of suicide.

Perhaps surprisingly, one of the voices in defence of suicide chatrooms yesterday was that of a close relative of Ms Williams, who believes that parental control may be needed, but not legislation.

"The web is there as a source of information for all of us, and it's better that these discussions aren't driven underground," he said. "Building high-rise blocks didn't increase the suicide rate, and I don't think the internet will either."

------------
· The Samaritans can be contacted at www.samaritans.org.uk or by telephoning 08457 909090

FAQ Internet risks

Are suicide chatrooms breaking the law?

The 1961 Suicide Act made it a crime to aid, abet, counsel or procure another to kill themselves or to try. The Home Office says people making postings to suicide chatrooms are not breaking the law unless they know that a suicide is being planned, and there is a direct link between their posting and the subsequent death.

Can access to these websites and chatrooms be prevented?

Filtering is built into most browsers. Select tools on the browser menu, then select internet options, then content. More information can be found at www.parentscentre.gov.uk

How common are internet suicide pacts?

Such pacts have been reported in Japan, Australia, Norway, Korea and the United States. In Britain, two men planned to leap from Beachy Head after meeting on the internet three years ago. One killed himself and the second backed out. After posting details of the incident to a chatroom, he was arrested and charged with aiding and abetting suicide. He killed himself shortly before he was due to appear in court.

Can the internet influence whether anyone commits suicide?

Numerous studies have established close links between media reports of suicide and both subsequent increases in suicide rates, and the methods employed. Last year a group of child psychiatrists in Mannheim concluded, after studying adolescents who are predisposed to suicide, that the internet is little different to other media in this respect.

www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1589260,00.html

See also;
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15604

They can't pay their taxes anymore.......... :(

Plus, if you can kill your children(abortion), you should sure as hell be allowed to kill yourself.

It's time to make it compulsory for life's failures. The feckless, the losers, the unemployed.

Every pub bog should be supplied with a cyanide capsule dispenser, alongside the multicoloured, flavoured, ribbed tickler, condom machine.

Make Room! Make Room!

The future's going to be crap, anyway. You won't be missing much and there's nothing on telly.

Kondoru said:
What `is` wrong with letting people commit suicide?

Well if done right it is a very final act (the final act if you will). It doesn't allow any margin for error and if you are going to make up your mind to end your life then you probably want to think it through with a lear mind an not while depressed with someone else going "gone on if you do it I'll do it with you" and potentially other people egging you on.

I don't think there is anything wrong with assisted suicide if people have thought it through and decided they can no longer go on living but if someone is in the pit of depression we should probably be trying to help them out of it not push them over the edge into ending it all.

Web suicide pacts surge in Japan

Web suicide pacts surge in Japan

The number of Japanese who killed themselves in suicide pacts made over the internet rose sharply last year. Police said 91 people died in the pacts in 2005, compared to 55 in 2004 and 34 in 2003, when the records started.

Alarm at the rise has led to increased vigilance by internet service providers, who now report suspected suicide pacts to the authorities.

Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, and the pacts may appeal to those scared to die alone.

Police figures showed 34 internet-arranged suicide pacts were recorded last year. Of the 91 people who died, 54 were men and 37 were women, with most being in their twenties or thirties.

But the number of cases may now be falling. Twenty of the 34 cases took place in the first three months of last year, before internet service providers started working with the authorities to tackle the problem.

In one case in February, three men and three women who had contacted each other via the internet shut themselves in a car and lit charcoal burners, poisoning themselves with the carbon monoxide.

Guidebook

Suicide has become a widely discussed topic on many websites in Japan, and there is even a guidebook to the best places to kill yourself.

The authorities have talked about closing down or regulating the websites.

But organisers argue that they offer a compassionate service to those who have given up all hope of the future.

Increasing numbers of young people in Japan are feeling alienated by modern life. Several thousand are termed "hikikomori" - recluses who never leave their room, finding entertainment only on the internet.

The suicide pacts still make up a relatively small proportion of Japan's suicides.

More than 34,000 Japanese took their own lives in 2003, according to the National Police Agency - an increase of more than 7% from the previous year.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 695864.stm

Published: 2006/02/09 07:41:55 GMT

Its a trend, so what. People die who want to [even if it is just at that very moment]. Most who are against suicide of others, only want to stop them for selfish reasons [like no mpother would want their child to do it because SHE doesn't want to lose HER child]. Of course suicide is also selfish but the price that is paid [loosing your life] is large enough to assume that this person really wanted to go for whatever reasons.
We are all going to die, nobody can stop that so what does it matter if some weak people who are easily influenced by others on the internet of all places kill themselves before their natural time is up?
What impact will it have on the world?
None whatsoever.
Humans should intrinsically be free to do what they want, why not kill themselves?
:yeay:

It's happened again:

Japan 'suicide pacts' claim nine

Police in Japan have found the bodies of nine people in what they suspect were two group suicides.

The asphyxiated bodies of five men and a woman were found in a car at Chichibu, near Tokyo, while three more bodies were found near Hirosaki.

Police are investigating whether the Chichibu six met via the internet.

Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, and internet pacts are thought to appeal to those who are scared to die alone [...]

you can carry on reading the full article at the BBC

an english suicide club? or just a random cluster?

Web worries after suicide spate

Social networking websites could be "romanticising" suicide, an MP claims after the deaths of seven young people from her area in the past year.

Last week Natasha Randall, 17, was found hanged at her home near Bridgend and a girl who is believed to know her self-harmed a day later.

South Wales Police are investigating if they had made contact on the internet, by e-mail or on a networking site.

Bridgend MP Madeleine Moon will raise internet use issues with police.

She will air her concerns at a meeting of a focus group, which includes the police and members of the local health trust, schools and council.

Mrs Moon said she was growing increasingly worried by the appearance of so-called "memory walls" on networking sites like Bebo, where members leave messages to mark the death of a friend.

"The worrying part about internet sites is it is a virtual world - it isn't a real world," she said. "The things that happen there don't necessarily demonstrate the consequences.

"I'm particularly concerned about this false romanticism of the memory wall that seems to have set up on Bebo giving some sort of romantic idea of suicide and not conveying the huge tragedy and wasted lives that we are looking at here," she told BBC Radio Wales.

Police investigating the latest incidents are trying to discover whether the girls had made contact on the internet, whether by e-mail or on a networking site.

But Supt Tim Jones, divisional commander of Bridgend Police, said while some of the seven young people knew each other, there was nothing to link them all.

He stressed that no evidence of a suicide pact or bond between them had been found.

Last summer, Bridgend and valleys coroner Philip Walters said he was "desperately concerned" about the number of suicides among young men in the area.

Mr Walters has now that confirmed the number of suicides among people under 26 across the whole of Bridgend county in the past year was 13.

But he said he did not believe there was such a phenomenon as a "cluster" of suicides, and that it was a problem across the country.

Anne Parry, from the suicide prevention charity Papyrus, said she shared concerns about the influence of internet chatrooms and networking site.

"We've been running a campaign for the last three years to try to draw attention to the dangers of the internet," said Mrs Parry.

"Social network sites can be particularly dangerous. Of course they can give a lot of support to young people but they can also do quite the opposite and feed into suicidal feelings."

'Desperately concerned'

Although some newspapers have likened the series of suicides in Bridgend to a "cult," Mrs Parry said: "I think it is dangerous to use words like this".

However, she said the perils of networking sites should be recognised.

"It can certainly influence people and perhaps in the wrong way, in an adverse way - there's no doubt about that."

One of those was 20-year-old Thomas Davies from North Cornelly, who hanged himself in February 2007. He had been friends with David Dilling, 19, and Dale Crole, 18, who had been found dead weeks earlier.

Thomas's mother, Melanie Davies, said she had talked to her son about the deaths of his friends: "He was quite upset about Dai because he went to school with him.

"I said to him: 'You would never do that to me, would you?'.

"He said 'I'd never do that to you - I wouldn't hurt you mam'. I think it was a couple of days later that he did it."

Mrs Davies has urged young people to seek help - rather than take often tragic actions.

"For the kids, I think they should talk to somebody, even if it's a stranger. They really need to speak to somebody, even if it's over the phone."

A Bebo spokesperson said: "The loss of any young life is always distressing.

"We will work closely with the authorities to provide any assistance which will help them with their investigations.

"We have close relationships with our member community, law enforcement agencies, and public safety partners - including Samaritans - to provide support and advice for our users. We are committed to providing our members with the safest possible environment online."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7204172.stm

Am I the only one who wonders if there is a serial killer on the loose in Bridgend? Kills the teenagers and then hangs up their bodies - it's a slasher flick come to life.

Police ought to be looking for a hideously burned man wearing a dennis the menace jumper and a fedora.

if the reporting's to be believed, another 3 in the last week and a bit :(

Two young cousins 'found hanged'

Two young cousins from Bridgend have been found hanged within hours of each other, it has been confirmed.

Nathaniel Pritchard, 15, died in hospital after "harming himself".

Kelly Stephenson, 20, who had been told her cousin was in a serious condition, was found hanged while on holiday in Kent. Police said it was too early to say how the deaths were linked.

It brings the number of apparent suicides among young people in the Bridgend area to 16 in the past year.

Officers were called to Nathaniel's home in the Cefn Glas area of Bridgend on Wednesday night and the force said he died in hospital after "harming himself".

His death is not believed to be suspicious "or linked to any other incidents or sudden deaths in the area," said a South Wales Police spokesman.

Each new death needs to be investigated individually
Carwyn Jones AM

Ms Stephenson and Nathaniel were said to be "very close" by friends.

Relatives confirmed that she had been told about Nathaniel and that there was little hope he would pull through.

Ms Stephenson, who was on holiday in Folkestone, told a relative she was going to the bathroom but when she did not come downstairs they went to investigate and found her dead.

'Brilliant kids'

A spokeswoman for Kent Police said: "We can confirm that a 20-year-old woman was found dead at an address in Folkestone.

"Officers are making inquiries but there are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances. An inquest will be opened next week."

Police are investigating the deaths but say it is too early to say how they are linked.

It is thought both youngsters were members of the Bebo and Facebook internet social networking sites.

Relatives confirmed Ms Stephenson knew two previous young people from the Bridgend area who hanged themselves last year.

A relative of both youngsters said: "Kelly was friends with both boys but whether this had anything to do with what has happened we just don't know.

"Kelly and Nathaniel were both brilliant kids with good futures ahead of them."

Ms Stephenson was a keen footballer and had recently signed for local team Porthcawl Lightning Strikers.

Manager Tony Morgan said: "She had only played one game for us - I couldn't pick her for this weekend because she was going away on holiday. It is a shock...Everyone at the club will be shocked."

Bridgend AM Carwyn Jones said: "It's important to understand that there is no link between the recent suicides in Bridgend, and each new death needs to be investigated individually.

"Obviously, I pass my sympathy to the families of Nathaniel Pritchard and Kelly Stephenson on their double loss."

South Wales Police are reviewing suicides among young people in the Bridgend area over the last year.

A taskforce is also examining suicides in the county since 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7247421.stm

Another young person's body found
Map of Bridgend area
The person was found dead in Cefn Cribwr, near Bridgend
Another body of a young person has been found in the Bridgend area.

Police have not confirmed the death, believed to be a 16-year-old girl in the village of Cefn Cribbwr, around five miles from Bridgend.

The body was found early this morning in a woodland area by a man walking his dog across a common.

The discovery came ahead of a briefing this afternoon by South Wales Police about the number of suspected suicides in the county over the past year.

The death in Cefn Cribwr is the 17th suspected suicide of a young person in the Bridgend county area.

Police have insisted there is no evidence of a link to the other deaths.

Last week, two cousins, aged 15 and 20, both from Bridgend, died within two days of each other.

South Wales Police are conducting a review of other suspected suicides in the area and say they will make a "significant announcement" about it at the briefing at 1530 GMT.

Local assembly member Carwyn Jones, in advance of the briefing, welcomed the launch of a suicide prevention strategy for the Bridgend area.

Mr Jones said it had "taken a great deal of hard work and effort to prepare, will be of tremendous value and support to professionals in Bridgend".

Last week, Mr Jones said the suspected suicides were spread county-wide, across a 130,000 population and seemed to be unrelated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7252732.stm

How come this story hasn't been on the front Uk pages for months? How come the police say the suicides are unconnected....20 odd girls aged around 17 all committing suicide?!

I would be interested to see what the suicide rate is statistically speaking for this age group in this sized county over such a short space of time.

As for a Forteana explanation, a pact? Apprently an inestigation into internet activity has revealed nothing. Which makes it even more strange.

I would also like to say that it is an incredibly sad story, suicide in anyone is a terrible issue and I wish everyone in the area the best of luck in sorting this out.

Media hype and fuckwittery making things worse perhaps?

Meanwhile, Welsh Assembly member Carwyn Jones said that, in analysing recent statistics, people were confusing Bridgend, the former mining town, with the larger Bridgend county.

'We are talking about suicides in a county of more than 130,000 people, not just the town of Bridgend. What we're looking at here, it seems, is a number of unrelated suicides. And it's worth emphasising that Bridgend is not way, way ahead of others,' he said.

Recent research at Swansea University shows that the county had only the sixth highest rate for suicides in Wales, and local coroner Philip Walters has reviewed recent deaths and concluded there is no evidence of the internet playing any direct part.

In the wake of the series of deaths, the mental health charity Mind Cymru has called for at least one member of staff in every school to be trained in suicide awareness.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/17/wales

Its a nasty thing to have happen, but I think the media need to seriously consider the kind of crap they are publishing.

lupinwick said:
Its a nasty thing to have happen, but I think the media need to seriously consider the kind of crap they are publishing.

Hear, hear.

Having one member of the staff of any school (or large business) trained in suicide awareness is a good idea, regardless of whether your population's rate's above average, dead-on, or below. This assumes they are well-trained, however, which isn't always the case. Alas, psychology is in the alchemical stage and every individual is a guinea pig.

Even when you don't go through with it, being suicidally depressed is a tragic thing; and the responses normal people have to the suicidally depressed often seem precisely calculated to drive us to do it. The number of people who have to talk themselves out of it when they are physically incapable of optimism, have been taught no techniques for getting through the trigger period, and are having their sense of having no right to breathe the air actively confirmed by those around them is higher than anybody wants to admit.

linesmachine said:
20 odd girls aged around 17 all committing suicide?!/quote]

they aren't all "girls" and they aren't all "around 17" either.

Kath

To avoid further confusion:

Jan 5, 2007 Dale Crole, 18, found hanged in a disused warehouse at Coney Beach funfair, Porthcawl, South Wales.

Feb 18 David Dilling, 19, Dale's friend, found hanged near his home in Pyle, near Bridgend.

Feb 25 Thomas Davies, 20, of Cornelly, near Bridgend, a friend of the first two victims, found hanged from a tree in Pyle.

April Allyn Price, 21, from Maesteg, South Wales, found hanging in his bedroom.

May 17 James Knight, 26, found hanged at his home in Cefn Cribwr, near Bridgend.

June Allyn Pryce's best friend Leigh Jenkins, 22, dies in the same way.

Aug 11 Zachery Barnes, 17, of Wildmill, Bridgend, found hanged from a washing line. He was a friend of Thomas Davies's family.

Aug 23 Jason Williams, 21, found hanged at home in North Cornelly, near Bridgend.

Sept Andrew O'Neill, 19, found hanging at his home in Bridgend

Nov Luke Goodridge, 20, found by his mother hanging in his bedroom in Bridgend.

Dec 27 Liam Clarke, 20, a friend of Dale Crole, found hanged in a Bridgend park.

Jan 2008 Gareth Morgan, 27, found hanged in his Bridgend home. He knew Liam Clarke.

Jan 17 Natasha Randall, 17, of Blaengarw, near Bridgend, found hanged in her bedroom.

Feb 4 Angie Fuller, 18, found hanging from a banister in Nant-y-Moel, near Bridgend.

Feb 14 Kelly Stephenson, 20, who lived in Bridgend, hangs herself while on holiday with her family in Folkestone.

Feb 15 Nathaniel Pritchard, 15, Kelly's cousin, has his life-support machine turned off after he hanged himself.

Feb 19 Jenna Parry, 16, found hanged in a wood five miles from the town.

It is odd

But we have the cluster effect to consider.

And maybe there are social/economic reasons to consider too.

See? I'm as bad as everyone else! Sorry, I got the facts way off, I got my info from a local radio station (which I stupidly didnt question) but it just goes to show what a frenzy these guys whip up.

I was interested in the Swansea Uni research figures which basically show that nothing weird is going on statistically wise.

17 Teenagers dead in small town

Not too sure what category this belongs in, mods feel free to do as you wish with it.

The death toll in a small town hit by a series of suicides increased to 17 yesterday when yet another teenager was found hanged.

Schoolgirl Jenna Parry, 16, was discovered by a man walking his dog at a local beauty spot.

Her death came a few days after two cousins from the same South Wales area were found dead a few hours apart.

Scroll down for more...

Schoolgirl Jenna Parry, 16, was discovered hanging from a tree at a beauty spot on Cefn Cribbwr common in the Bridgend area

Police stressed yesterday they had found no evidence of a suicide pact among local teenagers over the last year.

They said the number of apparent suicides was exceptional, but there was no reason to believe there had been any kind of internet pact.

A task force set up to investigate suicides in the area urged parents and young people to talk to each other about their worries and fears.

Jenna Parry is the 17th person aged under 27 to be found hanged in the Bridgend area since the start of last year.

Her apparent suicide came as a complete shock to friends and family.

"I saw her last night and she was laughing and giggling, without a care in the world," said close family friend Lisa Jones.

"That's the sort of person she was. She had everything to live for - this is just so awful. I can't understand what is going on around here."

Scroll down for more...

Grieving parents: Sharon and Vincent Pritchard yesterday

Before today, Nathaniel Pritchard, 15 and his cousin Kelly Stephenson, 20, are recent suicide victims from Bridgend

Daniel John, 20, who knew Jenna socially, added: "It has been an absolute shock. She was so bubbly and carefree.

"I spoke her to yesterday and she seemed normal - perfectly fine. I can't get my head around why she has done this."

Jenna had her own pages on social networking site Bebo - as did many of the others who have died.

Police are expected to examine her computer but sources say there is no immediate link between her death and suicide websites.

This is the home Jenna shared with her parents in Bridgend before her death
Dave Morris, Assistant Chief Constable of South Wales Police, said: "What we have found is that these are vulnerable young people, and taking one's own life may be becoming an acceptable option to young people for issues that they are facing."

Mr Morris said there appeared to be a "constellation of factors" that had influenced these young people to take their own lives as individuals.

These included relationship break-ups, friendship issues and family problems.

Pressed on whether the number of apparent suicides was exceptional, he said: "It is exceptional in terms of being a cluster of young people who have apparently taken their own lifes, all in the borough area."

He was speaking at a press conference in Bridgend. Also present were Vincent and Sharon Pritchard, parents of 15-year-old Nathaniel, who died in hospital after harming himself last week.

Jenna lived with her father Paul, 44, mother Anne, 39, and two brothers. Her body was found just before 8am by Michael Bennett on the common less than half a mile from her home.

Security guard Mr Bennett, 61, said: 'I feel shaken to the core. Why are youngsters around here doing this?

"They need to talk to people like their family, not spend all their time on computers or watching television. I feel so sad for her and her family."

Scroll down for more...

Bridgend has been rocked by a spate of suicides since the beginning of last year

First of the spate of deaths was 18-year-old Dale Crole, who hanged himself and was found in a disused warehouse in January 2007. Some of those who died since then were classmates and schoolfriends of Mr Crole. Friends of some victims have also attempted unsuccessfully to kill themselves.

The full list of suspected suicide victims is Dale Crole, 18, David Dilling, 19, Thomas Davies, 20, Zachery Barnes, 17, Gareth Morgan, 27, James Knight, 26, Jason Williams, 21, Andrew O'Neill, 19, Leigh Jenkins, 22, Liam Clarke, 20, Jenna Parry, 16, Alan Price, 21, Luke Goodridge, 20, Natasha Randall, 17, Angie Fuller, 18, Kelly Stephenson, 20, and Nathaniel Pritchard, 15.

Philip Walter, Coroner for Bridgend and the Glamorgan Valleys, said earlier this month: "I am of the mind that there is no commonality between these deaths, and preliminary investigations say the same."

The suicide rate in Wales is higher than for the rest of the UK, according to Government figures revealed yesterday.

In Wales the death rate from suicide for males was 19.4 per 100,000 of the population and 6.3 for women, whereas for the rest of the UK the rate is 17.4 for men and 5.3 for women.

The string of apparent suicides involving young people in Bridgend is too recent to be included in the figures from the National Statistics Office.

Mental health charities joined the call for a national anti-suicide strategy to be set up in Wales. England and Scotland have such strategies and the suicide rate has fallen.

Ruth Coombs of Mind Cymru said: "Wales is lagging behind. There are particular issues for different communities in Wales.

Scroll down for more...

Suicide cult? Clockwise from top left: Zachery Barnes, 17, Liam Clarke, 20, Natasha Randall, 17, Dale Crole, 18, David Dilling, 19, Gareth Morgan, 27, and Thomas Davies, 20

"In rural areas problems with depression and feelings of isolation are big."

Mr Morris urged youngsters to make use of charities such as Papyrus, which is committed to suicide prevention, and the Samaritans.

The Bridgend branch of the Samaritans said there had been a recent rise in the number of calls from under-25s across Wales.

Branch director Darren Matthews said: "If there's anyone out there who needs help, we're available 24 hours a day.

"We're trying to do as much extra outreach work as we can, and have launched an awareness campaign in Bridgend and the surrounding area. We're trying to reassure parents and friends of young people as well that if they have concerns, they can speak to us.

"We would urge them to be vigilant when it comes to young people - not to watch their every move, but to look for any changes, especially if one of their friends has committed suicide."

• Wales drafts plan to help youngsters

An anti-suicide plan for Wales is being prepared in the wake of the Bridgend deaths.

Welsh Assembly officials are preparing a Suicide Prevention Action Plan, said health minister Edwina Hart yesterday. It will draw on the Scottish government's Choose Life anti-suicide campaign.

The assembly wants a 10 per cent reduction in suicides by 2012 and plans for a national school-based counselling service are being introduced in the spring.

Mrs Hart, in a letter to assembly members, said: "I have also agreed that there will be some pilot projects in suicide prevention work in those areas with the highest suicde rates.

"This is a national problem and not in one local authority area, so the projects will be in different parts of Wales."

Charities are urging parents of teenagers to remain vigilant.

The Samaritans stress the importance of parents getting their children to talk about their concerns and Papyrus says warning signs in teenagers include being tearful, finding it difficult to sleep and eating problems.

• What parents can do to help

Charities have urged parents of teenage children to remain vigilant.

The Samaritans said youngsters most at risk included those who appeared withdrawn or who seemed to be bottling up their problems.

Parents should try to get their children to talk about their concerns at all costs, it said.

The charity Papyrus, which is committed to suicide prevention, said other warning signs in teenagers included being tearful, finding it hard to sleep and suffering from eating problems.

A spokesman for the charity said: "Parental intuition can be the key to spotting it. A lot of these parents might be thinking:

"These are just signs of a typical teenager".

"In many cases that may be true, but if you are in any doubt, give us a call for a chat."

Papyrus encourages parents who are concerned about the mental well-being of a teenage son and daughter to:

■ Listen to what they say, don't be judgmental. Say that you love them and care about them, no matter what.

■ If they won't talk to you, maybe they would talk to a friend or sibling, or perhaps write down how they feel. Reassure them that this happens to others.

■ Encourage them to go to the GP or counselling service if there is one. Offer to go with them.

The charity urges teenagers who are feeling suicidal to tell someone they trust about how they are feeling.

It says: "This could be someone in your family, your doctor, a teacher, the school nurse, college counsellor, or someone from your church.

"If you reach a suicidal crisis where the desire to kill yourself is overwhelming, you must tell someone. Ask them to keep you company until the feelings pass."

The Bridgend branch of Samaritans can be reached on 01656 662333. Childline can be contacted on 0800 1111 and Papyrus, specialists in preventing young suicide, can be reached on 01282 432555.

Link

Edit: Topic duly merged. P_M

Back