• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Internet Trolls (Their Motivation / Psychology / Psychopathology)

I can see what goes into people when they behave like this and I can see what the results are, but I have no comprehension of the why of it.

I think that's all of us at least some of the time, the only definite why of it is because they choose to.

The nastiest trolls I've come across first hand are the ones that play it from both ends, sending abusive messages to you behind the scenes while publicly accusing you of the same. On here I'd ignore shit like that, but it gets a lot more problematic when it overlaps with a social group you deal with in real life.

There's good reasons to keep some things separate.

Sorry for reviving an ancient thread for such a small comment, but I wanted to share this with you guys and ''troll'' was the closest description of what my post is about. Anyway the other day I posted a comment on the Wired news feed thingy on the magazine's facebook page, in reply to an article about heroin in the US, and as most of you guys know I'm a candid recovering addict, and someone replied directly to my comment with this ''OD already then you fucking loser junkie, you are scum''... I usually couldn't give a flying nutty squirrel turd about peoples opinion of me but this comment struck me with how deranged and pathetic people who post things like this really are.

Sorry for reviving an ancient thread for such a small comment, but I wanted to share this with you guys and ''troll'' was the closest description of what my post is about. Anyway the other day I posted a comment on the Wired news feed thingy on the magazine's facebook page, in reply to an article about heroin in the US, and as most of you guys know I'm a candid recovering addict, and someone replied directly to my comment with this ''OD already then you fucking loser junkie, you are scum''... I usually couldn't give a flying nutty squirrel turd about peoples opinion of me but this comment struck me with how deranged and pathetic people who post things like this really are.

You reached out, some spiteful bastard had a go at you who's also definitely made mistakes in his/her life before so ignore it for that reason ... we've all made mistakes but we don't all chose to attack each other because of those mistakes. I can see why that would have upset you but you don't attack people online so full respect to you X

Hes just an idiot trying to hurt you.

Very sorry to read that. Stay strong.

People can be rude, crude and indifferent. You have the power to accept or reject this dribble. Sounds like a real arse.

One reason that trolls and those with serious mental illnesses are confused with one another is because sometimes they overlap. Sometimes it's impossible to tell which is which.

A message board where I was once a member was repeatedly attacked by trolls from a rival message boatd. Some of them were just nasty people who wanted to cause a disruption, others were (to put it mildly) mentally unstable. There was an entire thread on their message board dedicated to how I was horrible awful person who didn't deserve to live. This didn't bother me overmuch because a few us had such threads in our honor :rolleyes: so we felt some solidarity.

One of the people who used to spam us with gruesome photos and threatening, if incoherent, messages later became more widely notorious after he started a blog called "government gets girlfriends", which is pretty much what it sounds like.

While that was all pretty creepy, what really disturbed me when one (purportedly friendly) person I was corresponding with through email flipped out and started sending reams of abuse. Just huge blocks of text calling me every insult in the book. I sent his emails to the spam folder, and just tried to forget about them. When I checked the spam folder over year later, he was still sending them! Even with no response, he'd been sending a couple of abusive emails a week for over a year. :eek: Most of it concerned how physically unattractive I am.

This weirded me out enough that I told some friends about it. They pointed out that even a psychopath would have grown bored after months of sending abuse with no response, and that for all his talk of my hideous apperance, he didn't even know what I looked like.

So what was going on in his head? Was he just a nasty person trying to get at my vulnerable points, or someone with serious mental issues? Sonetimes it's hard to tell the difference.

One has to be careful not to stigmatize the mentally ill and newly recovering addicts. They suffer enough as is.

I believe most internet bully's - trolls are disagreeable problematic arse holes who get their kicks from such behavior.

This is interesting ... Over 30 years ago we tech and human factors researchers examined flaming and other aggressive online behaviors in the pre-Web Internet. The results of those studies indicated the key factor in fostering flaming was the fact the users of that bygone era were using a new, impersonal medium in which relevant cues and social protocols were missing.

This newly-published study from Denmark appears to overturn that earlier understanding of the problem. The increased access to, transparency of, and familiarity with Web-based social media seems to have decreased the importance of novel communicative modality in fostering aggressive online behavior. Instead, these researchers' results indicate aggressive asshats online (trolls; bullies; etc.) are predominantly asshats in 'real life' as well.
Online Trolls Actually Just Assholes All the Time, Study Finds

The internet doesn’t turn people into assholes so much as it acts as a massive megaphone for existing ones, according to work by researchers at Aarhus University. ...

In a study published in the American Political Science Review, the researchers used representative surveys and behavioral studies from the U.S. and Denmark to establish the reason why people broadly perceive the online environment as more hostile than offline interaction. A pre-print version of the article is available here.

The team considered the mismatch hypothesis, which in the context of online behavior refers to the theory that there is a conflict between human adaptation for face-to-face interpersonal interaction and the newer, impersonal online environment. That hypothesis more or less amounts to the idea that humans who would be nicer to each other in person might feel more inclined to get nasty when interacting with other pseudonymous internet users. The researchers found little evidence for that. ...

Instead, their data pointed to online interactions largely mirroring offline behavior, with people predisposed to aggressive, status-seeking behavior just as unpleasant in person as behind a veil of online anonymity, and choosing to be jerks as part of a deliberate strategy rather than as a consequence of the format involved. ... These results were similar in both the U.S. and Denmark, even though the two countries have very different political cultures with differing levels of polarization. ...

The finding that individuals aren’t necessarily more or less prone to toxic behavior on the internet dovetails with some prior research and reporting emphasizing that toxic online political discussions are disproportionately driven by malicious individuals taking advantage of the megaphone offered. One study published in the Personality and Individual Differences journal in 2017 found that the most aggressive online trolls may tend to be high in cognitive empathy, which allows them to identify when they’re pushing someone else’s buttons, but low in affective empathy, enabling them to avoid feeling bad or internalizing the suffering they cause. Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard affiliate and data engineer Devin Gaffney wrote for Bennington Magazine that as platforms have “optimized for connectedness, they have negligently optimized for the growth of mob-like communities connecting around noxious yet identity-defining goals.” One 2018 study in the International Journal of Public Opinion Research found a bleed-over effect in which nasty online comments “increase perceived bias in a news blog post to which they are connected,” essentially dragging down the whole discussion with them. ...
FULL STORY: https://gizmodo.com/online-trolls-actually-just-assholes-all-the-time-stud-1847575210/

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract from the published research report. A preprint version of the report is accessible at the second link below.

BOR, A., & PETERSEN, M. (2021).
The Psychology of Online Political Hostility: A Comprehensive, Cross-National Test of the Mismatch Hypothesis.
American Political Science Review, 1-18.
doi:10.1017/S0003055421000885

Abstract
Why are online discussions about politics more hostile than offline discussions? A popular answer argues that human psychology is tailored for face-to-face interaction and people’s behavior therefore changes for the worse in impersonal online discussions. We provide a theoretical formalization and empirical test of this explanation: the mismatch hypothesis. We argue that mismatches between human psychology and novel features of online environments could (a) change people’s behavior, (b) create adverse selection effects, and (c) bias people’s perceptions. Across eight studies, leveraging cross-national surveys and behavioral experiments (total N = 8,434), we test the mismatch hypothesis but only find evidence for limited selection effects. Instead, hostile political discussions are the result of status-driven individuals who are drawn to politics and are equally hostile both online and offline. Finally, we offer initial evidence that online discussions feel more hostile, in part, because the behavior of such individuals is more visible online than offline.

SOURCE: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...h-hypothesis/C721597EEB77CC8F494710ED631916E4

FULL PREPRINT VERSION: https://psyarxiv.com/hwb83/

This newly-published study from Denmark appears to overturn that earlier understanding of the problem. The increased access to, transparency of, and familiarity with Web-based social media seems to have decreased the importance of novel communicative modality in fostering aggressive online behavior. Instead, these researchers' results indicate aggressive asshats online (trolls; bullies; etc.) are predominantly asshats in 'real life' as well.
So it used to be nice people who became asshats because they didn't understand the medium, and now it's people who are attracted to the medium because it allows them to be more effective asshats. Years from now researchers will call this the Great Asshat Shift.

So it used to be nice people who became asshats because they didn't understand the medium, and now it's people who are attracted to the medium because it allows them to be more effective asshats. ...
That's a pretty reasonable interpretation. Thirty-some years ago when I was researching flaming (etc.) misbehavior on the pre-Web 'Net the user population overwhelmingly consisted of professionals and academics accessing cyberspace via institutional venues.

Online discourse began noticeably degrading once we were joined by the great unwashed masses enabled by the Web from the early Nineties onward, and it went all to hell once (anti-) social media became the dominant interactional venue at the turn of the century.

Back