• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Intuitive Knowledge

Mr_Eamcat2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I, like many others amongst this admirable throng, meditate.

It started off as a way to centre myself and calm my ranting mind when the rosy tint of childhood wore off, but has become an essential part of my ongoing search for the truth behind reality.

I was wondering whether any of you fellow meditators have ever experienced what I'm calling intuitive knowledge?

Knowledge that seemed to 'come' to you either during meditation or after it during everyday life in response to conscious or subconscious questions that you may have asked?

Personally I've had names of people and things thrown at me which has spurred research into the most interesting and 'fitting' things, eg:

'Annie Besant' led me to investigate Theosophy and through that I attend regular lectures at the Torbay Theosophical Society.

'Vendreya' led me to the many avatars of Vishnu/Krsna and a greater understanding of the Hindu Trimurti.

Now, not being terribly religious, I tend not to view these things as Divine Inspiration, but rather my tapping into a well of information such as Jung's Collection Unconscious or the Akashic Record - whether these things are things that I've read of or heard of in my past and buried until meditation allows them to resurface, or whether they literally come to me from elsewhere, I'm eager to explore further.

Does anyone have any experiences or opinions to share on this subject?

How interesting! Do you 'hear' voices telling you these things or do you just 'know' them? Since I have been training my concious to listen to messages and meditating (not as regularly as I should) I have found I just know things, I 'know' them 100% and never doubt it until I start to think "How on earth did I know that?".

For example, my boyfriend is from Kosovo, but his English is very good and he only speaks English to me as I have not learned his langauge at all. On the rare occasion he speaks to his best friend on the phone, I obviously hear his side of the conversation, usually also in English.
A week or two before Christmas his friend called and as I was in the same room I could hear only my boyf talking, in his language. I wasn't really paying much attention but I felt a sudden urge to add a comment. A big smile came across my face and I said "Tell him to take them some flowers".
Somehow I just KNEW my boyf's friend was telling him he had been invited to his girlfriends' house for Christmas dinner and he was very nervous at the prospect.
My boyf stared at me in disbelief, and said "How did you know he was saying that, it was in MY language and all I had replied was 'Mmn'." As soon as he said that I started to think about the whole process, did I pick up clues in the tone of his voice? He had only said "Mmn", it could have meant almost anything. I certainly couldn't hear his friend speaking and there is no way I would be able to understand that in their language.
I have had lots of experiences like this recently and have no explanation for them, exept to say it must be intuition.

Well, Cass I can't say that I actually 'heard' the names - they came to me - I thought of them out of the blue.

But there are many examples of things that I know - or remember knowing as a child - that I really shouldn't know.

For instance, I remember reading The Magician's Companion which lists Bonewit's Laws of Magic and thinking "But I know that, I've always known that - I knew it as a boy and it helped form my world view."
I never read the laws before, never heard of them before - it just seemed to be intuitive knowledge.

Your example of understanding your BF's conversation seems to fit the bill, certainly. Although there could be psychic undertones involved maybe?

Aah yes, I suppose so in that case, as there was another mind involved.
But there is a difference surely in, for example, being in a science lesson at school and thinking "but this is all so obvious, I thought everyone knew this" as I often did (I'm certainly not a clever person, I just knew that stuff on instinct) and these particular names of things that you seem to be recieving. That can't be instinct can it? It seems too exact, to informative.
I think you are either getting mesages from you sub-concious or your spirit guides to learn more about these subjects. I say spirit guides particularly as the subjects are clearly relevant to you, you have an interest which you have followed up and this has been of benefit to you personally.

I'm investigating these laws of magic to see if they are instinctive to me, if I get a result with google.

Hahaa! Yes! It's all bloody obvious! Bonewit's Laws of Magic and thinking, all stuff I have always known since a child. Possibly my personal essence that has led to my Fortean interest.

Either that, or we are naturally damn fine, intuitive, intelligent and (other) worldly people ;)

cassandra78 said:
Either that, or we are naturally damn fine, intuitive, intelligent and (other) worldly people ;)

Well, yes - that's something I've always known too :lol:

I was wondering whether any of you fellow meditators have ever experienced what I'm calling intuitive knowledge?

Knowledge that seemed to 'come' to you either during meditation or after it during everyday life in response to conscious or subconscious questions that you may have asked?

Yes. Sort of.

Briefly engaged in some very mild meditational exercises once. This was followed shortly afterwards by -- initially -- a series of jumbled images in black and white, best described as pieces of jig-saw puzzle. Rather than having rounded indentations and protrusions as in ordinary jig-saw puzzles however, the bits and pieces I saw were straight-edged sections and they did not --initially -- 'fit into' each other the way ordinary jig-saw pieces do.

Day after day, I received further jig-saw images. For several days, they made no sense.

I received the images each day while I was vacuuming the floor, odd though it sounds. Over the years, I've experienced quite a bit of paranormal phenomena while vacuuming. Only after realizing this was the case did it occur to me that vacuuming is a form of meditation or altered-state. The mind is stilled, yet focussed. And the repetitive movement, combined with the monotonous drone of the vacuum cleaner, is obviously able to induce a meditative state: in me, at least. (All in all, a practical and physical form of meditation).

These days though, after experiencing several disturbing phenomena whilst vacuuming staircases, I try to remember to sing or talk(to someone else) loudly so as not to fall into a out-of-it frame of mind. There seems to be something a bit disconcerting about staircases ... maybe Lethbridge was right when he speculated that 'heaven' is approximately the height of the average ceiling and slightly to the left?)

Anyway, to return to the jig-saw images. As the days passed, the fragments of images began to join together to form full-picture images, similar to black and white photos. Further along, these became sepia coloured. For example, there was one of a section of a room (I hadn't seen the room before in reality). Although like static photos in style, the images contained movement. So the room I saw contained a section of a kitchen, yet the light curtain at the window fluttered inwards, as if by a breeze.

Some days later on, the images became coloured: life-like. By this stage, the sound of voices (a man and a woman) accompanied the images. I was not able to hear full conversations, although the snippets I did hear included what sounded like ordinary conversation: occasionally they argued, although not violently.

Should add that the above did not occur during the entire time I vacuumed the house each day. In fact, I couldn't tell you for how long I received the images and other stuff. It might have been a few minutes, or even a few seconds. I didn't enjoy it. It felt as if I were a fly on a wall in people's lives: an unintended invasion of their privacy. And I never seemed to remember (before I began vacuuming) that it would happen. Then it would happen again. By the time it had been going on for a couple of weeks, I'd privately begun to worry that I was for some reason, going mad. I finally confided the situation to one friend.

Finally, the images revealed the identity of the man and woman. I knew both of them well. The images -- though brief --- showed them living together, sleeping together, arguing, laughing, sharing a house.

In reality however, the man and woman in question had always despised each other and had made this known to others over a period of over twenty years. In addition, the man and woman in the images actually lived in two separate countries and were -- supposedly -- in love with other people. Their lives had absolutely nothing in common and as far as I'm aware, they had not been in contact for considerable time, at the point I saw the images of them.

In order to establish a record of what the images had shown, I confided what I'd seen to people who knew the man and woman (seen in the images). Like me, those I told found it preposterous that the man and woman would ever become friends, let alone live intimately together. The people I told also pointed out that the man and woman loathed each other and did not even live in the same country. They dismissed what I said I'd seen. Most people do not like being associated with the pararnormal, no matter how innocently or spontaneously received, and they tend to treat you rather coldly, which is the way they dismissed me. I took it on the chin, but asked them to please remember and note what I'd said. They reluctantly agreed, if only to end the conversation.

As it turned out, the man and woman I'd seen in the series of images did in fact both return to the same country, not long afterwards. And against everyone's expectations, they did end up living together in the same house for several months.

Elements of the experience lead me to feel that it was not 'intuitive knowledge' that provided me information ahead of time. I suspect an intelligence quite separate to my own 'sent' the information to me and was able to do so because I had (possibly) opened my mind and/or inadvertently invited contact, via the mild meditative exercises in which I'd engaged.

It was an interesting experience. I keep meaning to see if it would be repeated if I tried meditation again, but like so many other things, I forget about it and things like it until I visit these threads.

Those who (unlike me) take the time and effort to meditate properly, possibly have experiences similar to mine, quite often.

[Memo to self] Do more housework and vacuuming, you lazy slob!
No wonder you never get Fortean experiences! [/memo]

I used to be a sceptic about this, as I meditate mostly to relax, spent a long time not noticing anything to write home about, and never really beleived anyone who said they had visions. In the last few months however, I've really had the feeling that I'm being guided, which is the only way I can describe it. I get visual images that I can't really 'see', and audio ones which seem to be getting clearer, often things that don't really make sense unles there is someone I can talk it through with.

I found it extremely difficult to beleive in God or a soul until very recently, and when I actually stepped back to look at it properly, I accepted I could actually be wrong and the universe immediately started telling me to investigate the Akashic records and try to discover what it was about. It seemed that whatever book I opened, internet forum I went to or programme I watch on tv mentioned it, and I could even have sworn that I was overhearing it in strangers' conversations. The effect was so strong that even when I started to switch off when watching TV, I'd start thinking about it. Needless to say, I now believe I have a soul, and there is a God or forces at work that help to keep things in order, and I get the feeling that someone has taught me a valuable lesson.

In Bön Buddhism it is said that every person potentially has a great destiny, and the signs get stronger the closer we get to it as your universe starts working in tandem with you (or you with it). To put a cheesy spin on it, I believe in 'guides', that help to steer you in the right direction, as long as you want to be helped.

/rambling post.

Back