• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is Kangaroo-Human bone xenotransplanting possible?

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
If this sounds like a bizarre question, I'll explain the backstory.

My mom always insisted that her father didn't fight in WW2 because he was a consciencious objector.

Some years later I mentioned this to my uncle who nearly wet himself laughing and claimed that the real reason that he didn't fight was because:

a) He was a plumber, which was a reserved occupation

b) He was exempt on medical grounds because he badly damaged his collarbone and it had been replaced with a Kangaroo's bone.

The first part is feasible but uncertain, one of my neighbours who served in WW2 said that plumbing was a reserved occupation, as long as you were at least 35.

But what about the second? I've tried dogpile-ing 'kangaroo human bone transplant' and nothing pertinent is coming up.

Any experts on xenotransplanting out there?

BlackRiverFalls said:
b) He was exempt on medical grounds because he badly damaged his collarbone and it had been replaced with a Kangaroo's bone.
Sounds like one of those quaint malapropisms some people are prone to.

"What was that? Sounded like Kangaroo..."

I have no idea what it would be, though. Maybe the doctor (or your father) was having a lend of someone.

I wouldn't have thought that 'roos would be a good match, as they aren't even placentals.

That said, there has long been speculation of using kangaroos for longevity drugs, due to the process by which they can hault an embryo's development until they're ready to give birth.

There are no bizarre questions, only bizarre answers.

If you did have such a bone put into your body, it would be a decision which you would come to rue. Medical technology would have to improve by leaps and bounds before such a thing was possible.
The body will reject a bone as foreign tissue, in the same way that it rejects a foreign organ. It is possible to transplant human bones though, particularly if they've been frozen as this article shows. You can also use coral sometimes, believe it or not.
What do you say if you've badly damaged your collarbone and need a bone transplant? Ouch!
What do you say if you've badly damaged your collarbone and need a kangaroo bone replacement? Pouch!

(sorry, best I could do).

Bill Robinson

Back